Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pro - SQ for classical music
I think it is fair to say that moreno1973 is a huge fan of firmware 7.1.3, as are many others, this much has been clear for a while. I have to say though that this is going a little off topic. If the answer to any observed sound quality issues is 'use 7.1.3' then we are not going to get anywhere in the 'Pro' era. I have to say though that based on my relatively short time with a Pro, the difference between an 'Expert' amp and the new 'Pro' is an absolute order of magnitude larger than the sound quality differences between firmware versions. (plus I suspect moreno1973 may not have had the pleasure of listening to a Pro yet, but I might be wrong) Although I have to say that I do not understand how anyone could design an amp to sound good 'mainly produced for short (20-30 min.) listenings.' I recall the upset from some when it was reported that Devialet develop their amps based on measurements from lab equipment, that is chasing measured performance rather than 'tuning by ear'. Can lab equipment tell you that something will sound good for half an hour then get fatiguing? My thoughts is that lab equipment would be better served in developing towards theoretical perfection.

As for the Pro 'sound', if we take 'analogue' to mean sounding real, the Pro is the most 'analogue', real and detailed thing I have ever listened to at any price. This is why I would like to keep this thread on topic. As an example, I was listening to some classical music last night. I deliberately chose something that I knew was ripped from quite an old CD. It sounded fine, but there was maybe something in the sound that was less than perfect, a kind of digital edge. (although nothing I would describe as 'digital artifacts'). In casual listening it sounded perfect, but listen hard, and yes, maybe there is something. This got me wondering if what I was hearing was in fact resulting from the quality of the original analogue to digital conversion used in creating the digital master. (The CD was early 90's I think) I find this interesting, this is why I'd love to try some of the exact recordings motioned by the OP.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
New Pro - SQ for classical music - by arcam - 07-Nov-2016, 21:28
RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - by Inox - 07-Nov-2016, 21:57
RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - by Inox - 07-Nov-2016, 22:03
RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - by Will - 08-Nov-2016, 02:36
New Pro - SQ for classical music - by no32 - 08-Nov-2016, 22:30
New Pro - SQ for classical music - by no32 - 08-Nov-2016, 22:32
New Pro - SQ for classical music - by no32 - 08-Nov-2016, 22:37
RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - by Will - 09-Nov-2016, 08:50
RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - by Axel - 10-Nov-2016, 10:29
RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - by Confused - 10-Nov-2016, 11:32
RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - by ogs - 10-Nov-2016, 12:55