Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down sample DSD128 to DSD64 or convert to PCM 24/192?
(20-Feb-2017, 17:07)Devialetuser Wrote: I downloaded the 64DSD version of the  pink panther album from NativeDSD and it was just mesmerising. 

Is this the one?

https://fonerecords.nativedsd.com/albums...er-friends

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(20-Feb-2017, 18:55)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(20-Feb-2017, 17:07)Devialetuser Wrote: I downloaded the 64DSD version of the  pink panther album from NativeDSD and it was just mesmerising. 

Is this the one?

https://fonerecords.nativedsd.com/albums...er-friends

Guillaume

That's the one. On YouTube they have a channel with the same name NativeDSD, where you can find further insight.
If you want to convert DSD to PCM, do it at 24/176.4 and NOT to 24/192, as the former is can be multiplied directly to reach DSD sampling rate without doing any resampling during transcoding.

I always transcode to 24/176.4, it is much easier to handle
Oh my...listened to the 30s sample on my iPad Pro but I think I prefer the Youtube version of the original over that audiophile nonsense...the sax on track 1 sounds like it's recorded in a very small room or recording booth.

But I guess the Youtube version doesn't pass the "doze off test" Wink (http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...2#pid58162)

PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I own lots of excellent recordings and I find that for acoustic music -- and particularly classical music -- I prefer DSD (native and not converted) to anything else I've heard. There's a naturalness and weight of the instrumentalists that is addictive. Jared Sacks' recordings are amazing -- his new recording of Thomas Hampson is exquisite. And this recent one discussed in Stereophile is as good as it gets:  http://www.stereophile.com/content/gorge...SBZeOju.97
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(20-Feb-2017, 20:58)Antoine Wrote: Oh my...listened to the 30s sample on my iPad Pro but I think I prefer the Youtube version of the original over that audiophile nonsense...the sax on track 1 sounds like it's recorded in a very small room or recording booth.

But I guess the Youtube version doesn't pass the "doze off test" Wink (http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...2#pid58162)

For absolute impartiality and fairness  why not buy just Track 5 from the album. Sit down in your comfy chair, dim the lights and let it play. Look forward to your opinion. You would be surprised at the variety of music that passes the doze off test Smile . The more complex the arrangement the better, get all the neurons firing.  As for the above track its really good, and exactly what I would enjoy listening to.
I could never doze off in any activity whether it's watching TV, listening to music or anything else I can think of some people fall asleep doing, it's impossible for me. Getting into a state of trance is another thing. But never mind me, I was just trying to pull your leg. Wink Enjoy the music, in whatever form it comes! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hi Lonely,

I am pleased that you are happy with your solution. I note that you have chosen to use a program that converts during playback as opposed to your original wish to create a converted file. I also note that you spent money. The idea of the Tascam Hi-Res Editor is still an option if you ever choose to create converted files and it is free.

My situation is a bit different to yours as I need to put my files on a USB external drive and a NAS drive, neither of which connect via a computer - both go straight into my Oppo BDP105 DAC. This sounds so much cleaner than passing audio through a noisy laptop PC.

Guys,
Thanks for the responses – I didn’t mean to set off a debate on DSD v PCM!  Which no one wins.

My last comment was on how I found the resultant quality on my high end hi fi system – I found the DSD sounded ‘better’ for me.  It also matched my reaction to another experience when I downloaded 3 files of David Elias’ recording of The Window – Vision of Her in DSD64, 24/88.2 PCM and a FLAC version of the PCM file.  Those PCM files sounded good but the DSD was considerably more enjoyable – far more accurate tone/harmonics/decay more like live instruments, greater dynamics, more authority and presence – all up, more like the real thing.

However I am in complete agreement with Confused and others in that the recording/mastering quality is the most important thing. I have a recording of Carol Kidd in FLAC 5545kbps PCM (seems to equate to 24 bit /115.5 kbps) that is possibly the best sounding most realistic track I have, it easily matches my DSD tracks.
(20-Feb-2017, 21:57)Devialetuser Wrote:
(20-Feb-2017, 20:58)Antoine Wrote: Oh my...listened to the 30s sample on my iPad Pro but I think I prefer the Youtube version of the original over that audiophile nonsense...the sax on track 1 sounds like it's recorded in a very small room or recording booth.

For absolute impartiality and fairness  why not buy just Track 5 from the album. Sit down in your comfy chair, dim the lights and let it play. Look forward to your opinion. You would be surprised at the variety of music that passes the doze off test Smile . The more complex the arrangement the better, get all the neurons firing.  As for the above track its really good, and exactly what I would enjoy listening to.

I had this album playing in the background (my listening room is adjacent to my study). Just went and sat down and thought wow! Checked Roon, and yes it's track 5!

Actually the whole album is utterly spellbinding. SQ is off the chart. So real.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
This version is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bii-PIGprv8

(Although not likely to be released in DSD format any time soon)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12