Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cocoon - how rigid?
Is Cocoon basically a soft case, semihard case, or a hard shell? 

I wonder how protective it would be if it is dropped from say 2 feet to the ground on the side.  Would the bass drivers get dented?  

Thanks
I'll go with "semihard". It's made out of felt (or something like it) and it keeps it's rigidity in normal conditions. I think if Phantom will fall in Cocoon there will be no dents (after all, it's soft from the inside) but still there will be some damage done to it. For me Phantoms (as well as the other audio equipment) are too fragile to take the fall.
(13-Nov-2016, 05:16)MountainGuy Wrote: Is Cocoon basically a soft case, semihard case, or a hard shell? 

I wonder how protective it would be if it is dropped from say 2 feet to the ground on the side.  Would the bass drivers get dented?  

Thanks

Cue a raft of damaged Phantoms being sent back to Devialet for repair or claimed under home insurance after 'cocoon tests' Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Had a both my Gold Phantoms with Cocoons as carry-on luggage. A girl opened the overhead lockers and made one of my phantoms do a 2m drop (6.5 ft). I almost had a heart-attack but thank god, Phantom and Cocoon had nothing and still works perfectly like the day I unboxed.
(03-Jan-2017, 06:48)gregleo Wrote: Had a both my Gold Phantoms with Cocoons as carry-on luggage. A girl opened the overhead lockers and made one of my phantoms do a 2m drop (6.5 ft). I almost had a heart-attack but thank god, Phantom and Cocoon had nothing and still works perfectly like the day I unboxed.

Wow, my heart lurched just reading your account.  Glad it did not drop on her feet or the head of a sitting passenger either.  Could have been substantial injury.
Well it actually bumped on my right shoulder before hitting the floor. It sure is heavy and was a bit painful at impact but no injury. That girl didn't even apologies, she just forced her jacket out of the locker and looked away.
(03-Jan-2017, 08:13)So no problems at all getting onto the plane with it ?      I really want to take mine overseas with me.     gregleo Wrote: Well it actually bumped on my right shoulder before hitting the floor. It sure is heavy and was a bit painful at impact but no injury. That girl didn't even apologies, she just forced her jacket out of the locker and looked away.