Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono setting in configurator for Benz Ebony L
Hello,

I have a Devialet 200.

I'm confused with which values to enter for 'max level' , 'loading' and 'pf' based on my Benz Ebony L. Manufacturer spec sheet is attached.

Also after configurating is there any way to confirm the values have indeed been downloaded to the SD card? I'm sure I went through the 'saving' process but the screen took me back to 'your settings are ready for download' message screen where you have to right click on the logo. I thought maybe a message stating something like settings downloaded would be seen as confirmation.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Feickert Blackbird, AO pu7, Benz ebony L, Graham Phantom, Koetsu Rosewood sig', Tom Evans SRX, Apple MacAir, D Premier. Kef blades. 
Apologies re photo i'll try again shortly.

Pushed in the SD card and the unit told me it had updated configurations, so that's all good.

The phono input, at 0db i'm having a fair amount of hiss, at 11db it's noisy, at -10db it's silent. Any ideas?

My PS audio nu wave phono was silent into line 1.

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Feickert Blackbird, AO pu7, Benz ebony L, Graham Phantom, Koetsu Rosewood sig', Tom Evans SRX, Apple MacAir, D Premier. Kef blades. 
I'll just write this ;

Output voltage 0.26mv
Internal Imp 3.5 ohms
Dynamic compliance 15um/mn
Set up instructions 50-47000 ohm, i know this to work best at 500-1000ohm
Tracking ability at 315hz
at a tracking force of 2g : 80um

Thats all the figures i think relevant, the rest are physical values of the cartridge.

SAM is really good with the Yamahas, takes any edginess in treble away without sounding rolled off - impressive.
You need a touch of headroom above the output voltage.  Cartridge output voltages tend to be averages at a particular mid range frequency, so go a touch higher and check you are not getting any clipping.  The tablet app is good for checking the clipping as you get an orange flashing light if it happens.

So in the Configurator MC settings I would start at about 300uV.  It looks like you know what you want for the resistance, so go with what you know and start at 750 ohms.  Keep the pF at zero.

Another tip, you can check the cartridge output levels on the Devialet display.  Just scroll through the various screens showing firmware versions, temperatures, settings, and eventually you come to some level meters.  These serve as a good check, and look good too!

From my experience, with the cartridge output set to 300uV you will get hiss more or less as you describe.  Unfortunate and slightly annoying, but I am happy to say I never notice it when actually playing a record.

Oh, and welcome to the world of Devialet Chat! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(20-Nov-2016, 18:45)runforfree69 Wrote: Apologies re photo i'll try again shortly.

Pushed in the SD card and the unit told me it had updated configurations, so that's all good.

The phono input, at 0db i'm having a fair amount of hiss, at 11db it's noisy, at -10db it's silent. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I'm running Benz Ruby and at normal listening levels -35db to -15db depending on source it is quiet but at much higher levels I begin to hear hiss. But at those higher levels it would start to cause plaster in my listening room to break!
Devialet 220, Mac Mini, Audirvana, Wireworld USB, Audioquest Castle Rock, KEF 207-2, Thorens TD 125 Mark II, SME 3009R, Benz Ruby, Wadia 121, OPPO BDP 105, McIntosh MC30, KEF LS 50, JL Audio E-Sub e112
(20-Nov-2016, 22:22)JoeW Wrote:
(20-Nov-2016, 18:45)runforfree69 Wrote: Apologies re photo i'll try again shortly.

Thanks.
I'm running Benz Ruby and at normal listening levels -35db to -15db depending on source it is quiet but at much higher levels I begin to hear hiss. But at those higher levels it would start to cause plaster in my listening room to break!

Hi JoeW,

Similar to my experience. I swapped the standard power cord over to Cardas Golden Reference and it's helped a good bit but it's still way noisier than the DPremier I had before.

I'll investigate further, don't mean to perturb you but both of us should be able to get well into +db's with minimal noise. A Marantz with onboard phono I have can be 3/4 round the volume setting with the same gain settings and be silent unless my ear's close to the speaker drivers.
(20-Nov-2016, 23:18)runforfree69 Wrote:
(20-Nov-2016, 22:22)JoeW Wrote:

Thanks.

Hi JoeW,

Similar to my experience. I swapped the standard power cord over to Cardas Golden Reference and it's helped a good bit but it's still way noisier than the DPremier I had before.

I'll investigate further, don't mean to perturb you but both of us should be able to get well into +db's with minimal noise. A Marantz with onboard phono I have can be 3/4 round the volume setting with the same gain settings and be silent unless my ear's close to the speaker drivers.
Thanks. Perhaps I've been too casual about the hiss. There may be an issue with my newly upgraded D220 that I'm trying to isolate so that comes first. By the way I'm just using the Configurator standard values for Benz. I definitely want to tweak around with those. I'm also using the power cord out of the box so that is ahead too.
Devialet 220, Mac Mini, Audirvana, Wireworld USB, Audioquest Castle Rock, KEF 207-2, Thorens TD 125 Mark II, SME 3009R, Benz Ruby, Wadia 121, OPPO BDP 105, McIntosh MC30, KEF LS 50, JL Audio E-Sub e112
Yeah thanks i'll definately try different setting, my cartridge isn't in the drop down box.
I've been enjoying the 200 so much I'm just getting round to trying its phono stage and been using a PS Audio nu wave phono. Hope you get your 220 working as you'd like.