Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New speakers SAM ready
With respect to SAM / firmware 8.x.x issues, I have had a lot of correspondence with Devialet, plus I have spoken directly with Mathieu Pernod at the recent OAC event. My speakers are not V8 designated, and at no point have Devialet stated that there is an inherent problem with using non V8 designated speakers with 8.x.x firmware. However, Mathieu did suggest that it would be a good idea to get my speakers SAM'd with SAM lab, when this is on its UK tour. He didn't really elaborate too much, but I get the impression that SAM produced with SAM lab is actually superior with SAM 2 than the old "in house" SAM. This is not what I originally thought would be the case, I was initially thinking the SAM lab was probably a little inferior, but a useful means of rapidly increasing the number of SAM ready speakers.
(23-Jul-2015, 20:12)Confused Wrote: With respect to SAM / firmware 8.x.x issues, I have had a lot of correspondence with Devialet, plus I have spoken directly with Mathieu Pernod at the recent OAC event.  My speakers are not V8 designated, and at no point have Devialet stated that there is an inherent problem with using non V8 designated speakers with 8.x.x firmware.  However, Mathieu did suggest that it would be a good idea to get my speakers SAM'd with SAM lab, when this is on its UK tour.  He didn't really elaborate too much, but I get the impression that SAM produced with SAM lab is actually superior with SAM 2 than the old "in house" SAM.  This is not what I originally thought would be the case, I was initially thinking the SAM lab was probably a little inferior, but a useful means of rapidly increasing the number of SAM ready speakers.

Interesting - I had thought/guessed the same as you - that SAM lab would be inferior. Particularly having seen photos of them taking SAM lab measurements...  Still, in the case of my speakers it seems to work well though my 200 runs a lot warmer than it did pre-SAM.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Just noticed while putting together a new config file this morning that several models of Kudos speakers are now SAM ready. Unfortunately, my Super 10 standmounts are not part of this initial offering but it looks promising that the entire range but be available soon. I am hoping to try this SAM thing.
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
(23-Jul-2015, 20:20)PhilP Wrote:
(23-Jul-2015, 20:12)Confused Wrote: With respect to SAM / firmware 8.x.x issues, I have had a lot of correspondence with Devialet, plus I have spoken directly with Mathieu Pernod at the recent OAC event.  My speakers are not V8 designated, and at no point have Devialet stated that there is an inherent problem with using non V8 designated speakers with 8.x.x firmware.  However, Mathieu did suggest that it would be a good idea to get my speakers SAM'd with SAM lab, when this is on its UK tour.  He didn't really elaborate too much, but I get the impression that SAM produced with SAM lab is actually superior with SAM 2 than the old "in house" SAM.  This is not what I originally thought would be the case, I was initially thinking the SAM lab was probably a little inferior, but a useful means of rapidly increasing the number of SAM ready speakers.

Interesting - I had thought/guessed the same as you - that SAM lab would be inferior. Particularly having seen photos of them taking SAM lab measurements...  Still, in the case of my speakers it seems to work well though my 200 runs a lot warmer than it did pre-SAM.

Interesting you mention temperature. I've been monitoring my system lately (there's a fault I can't track down) and I noticed the other day turning SAM off (with DPM off too, meaning the temperature isn't so tightly regulated)  that the temperature of the unit dropped around 8C from 50C to 42C playing the same album.
I've noticed with firmware 8.x that SAM improvement is marginal now for my speakers and I'm probably enjoying it more without SAM.  I logged a call a few days ago but got a bit of a brush-off.
From this week, B&W 685 S2 speaker are SAM Ready. Sound great with SAM V2 (only with 8.1.3 firmware)
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
A lot of Spendors are Sam ready as well. Nice, since I have a pair.
My speakers have been SAMed :-) Bauer Audio LS 3.0
But I can't test it since my D is getting a new chassis. Bummer
Bauer LS 3.0 - Ortofon 7.8N SPK - Octave RE320 - 220 Pro - DH Labs D-110 - Mutec MC-3+ USB - ROON ROCK NUC - Sbooster MKII - Technics 1200 MK2 w/ Quintet Blue