Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert with dual band router
Hi - can anyone please advise on this.

I have a dual band Virgin router.  The Devialet app does not work at all if the 5ghz band is enabled - presumably the reason for this is that my D400 can only work with 2.4ghz, and my iPad/iPhone are connecting to 5ghz, hence cannot 'see' the Devialet - is that correct?

Is there a workaround or should I just leave 5ghz switched off?

Thanks in advance, Paul
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS
It should still connect as both WiFi connections will connect to the same network, my Dev D1000 is connected on standard wifi and my iPad on 5G and they can see each other no reason yours should not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Nick is correct. Which Virgin Superhub do you have?
If you have a Superhub 2 it might be worth getting Virgin to upgrade it to a Superhub 2ac or Superhub 3.
I think there were some issues with 5GHz on the Superhub 2.
Roon -> AIR -> Ethernet ->  D220-> KEF Reference 3
(22-Nov-2016, 19:04)Graham Wrote: Nick is correct.  Which Virgin Superhub do you have?
If you have a Superhub 2 it might be worth getting Virgin to upgrade it to a Superhub 2ac or Superhub 3.
I think there were some issues with 5GHz on the Superhub 2.

It's a Superhub 3 - quite new.  In fact tonight the app isn't working even with the 5ghz disabled.

Is there an advantage to setting a fixed IP address and might this resolve it? 

Thanks
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS
No harm in trying, but I doubt if it will fix it unless you have an IP address conflict.
I have to admit I have had issues with wifi. I now use ethernet to the Devialet and just use wifi for the remote apps.
Even then I have intermittent connectivity problems - when this happens I do a speedtest check which usually shows a rubbish speed on 2.4 MHz wifi (<5Mbps) and I have to switch to a wired connection or 5MHz on my iPad.
I'm also using Ethernet connected to my Devialet, and wifi is only for the app, not that it even works....
Well that sounds like a Wifi problem. I get very variable internet connection speeds on Virgin (anything from 1-125 Mbps Wifi and 9-165 Mbps wired).
If you are streaming directly from your QNAP then I would investigate the Wifi connection. Is it possible to check connection speeds and signal strengths?
(22-Nov-2016, 22:32)Graham Wrote: Well that sounds like a Wifi problem.  I get very variable internet connection speeds on Virgin (anything from 1-125 Mbps Wifi and 9-165 Mbps wired).
If you are streaming directly from your QNAP then I would investigate the Wifi connection.  Is it possible to check connection speeds and signal strengths?

Yes it does sound like a wifi problem, though the wifi signal is quite strong in my flat and the Devialet is in any case connected to the same router by Ethernet. Not really sure how to tackle it.

Thanks
Yes, I'm afraid Wifi and streaming tends to be the weak link in many systems.
I'm not sure exactly how you are set up and whether you are having problems streaming from your QNAP or just the internet.
The fact that you have got a good signal and that it has worked makes it sound like my problem of variable Wifi connection speeds (LAN and/or internet)
I originally had Roon running from a laptop over Wifi, but problems with slow downloads and poor connectivity made me upgrade my NAS and install Roon server on the NAS.
Not sure that that helps you, but I would certainly investigate Wifi connection speeds as the answer to your original question is that both 2.4 and 5GHz should work.
I also have a Virgin Superhub, but quite an old one. I remember when they first came out that WiFi speeds were so dire that people bought their own routers, as did I. I hooked up an Apple AirPort Extreme. Now when I check my speeds with my iPad I get 100 Mbps and never suffer any kind of dropouts.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England