Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music file organisation
I understand your concerns as it would be easy to make your situation worse.

But that has reminded that there is another possible and non destructive solution, namely the Minimserver music server.

If I remember correctly the Melco has Twonky media server installed as default.  However, a fair number of users have installed Minimserver because of its many powerful features.

One of those is the ability to instruct Minimserver to create 'virtual' tags that combine values from each tracks actual tags.  These 'virtual' tags are controlled by Minimserver and shared with the control point software to tailor the way you sort your music. None of your music tracks are ever affected.

Check out the following link for a brief explanation
http://minimserver.com/features.html#Intelligent

And for more detailed information
http://minimserver.com/ug-browsing.html

There is a active forum and the developer is extremely helpful.
What a tagger does, is that it writes the metada at the end of the flac file, so there is no way that you will spoil/destroy the audio part. In your case, I would suggest trying musichi tagger.

http://www.musichi.eu/index.php/en/buynow

It has a 30 day trial period and is the best tagger there is. You can:
1) Through Amazon, you can find the album and automatically get the metadata. This is a two step process, the socend being the final confirmation, in case of doubt
2) You can use the Musichi Library, especially If you are into classical, where the metadata have almost ever album there is
3) You can use the GD3 service, which also has an extensive catalogue from where you can find the metadata
4) You can Create metada from the folder structure in case you cannot find your album going through the above possibilities.
5) You can even create your own metadata fields for extra info, if you want.

This way, there is virtually no chance of having something that does not exist already and slowly you will sort your library out.

I have a large collection of more than 5000 albums and through musichi everything is in perfect shape.
(27-Nov-2016, 10:15)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: What a tagger does, is that it writes the metada at the end of the flac file, so there is no way that you will spoil/destroy the audio part. In your case, I would suggest trying musichi tagger.

1) Through Amazon, you can find the album and automatically get the metadata. This is a two step process, the socend being the final confirmation, in case of doubt
2) You can use the Musichi Library, especially If you are into classical, where the metadata have almost ever album there is
3) You can use the GD3 service, which also has an extensive catalogue from where you can find the metadata
4) You can Create metada from the folder structure in case you cannot find your album going through the above possibilities.

This way, there is virtually no chance of having something that does not exist already and slowly you will sort your library out.

I have a large collection of more than 5000 albums and through musichi everything is in perfect shape.

I have purchased this as it was worth the gamble, but I am struggling to make sense of it all. I will watch a few videos to see if it gets any clearer.
The files are correctly tagged on my Melco .......its the app that does not recognise them. So not sure if this tagger will help. My aplogies for my total lack of knowledge here.

I downloaded an Album this morning Bruno Mars 24k ( for my daughter honest Big Grin ) and all the filse correctly named in my music library. However on the app track names are missing. I then tried to use the Musich tagger and I have just lost everything........... Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(25-Nov-2016, 17:03)Tremayne Wrote: Hi Womaz,
I've had similar problems, but with a different set-up. My music files are stored on a NAS and I use Exact Audio Copy, JRiver and JRemote.
I make sure that there are no duplicate album titles. To album titles such as Greatest Hits, The Best Of etc I add the artist's name.
I have many Beatles albums, so adding the mono boxed set duplicated a lot of album titles. For this boxed set I changed the artist to "Beatles, In Mono" and added a full stop after each album title.
It may not be an elegant solution, but I'm happy with the result. I've no idea if this can be applied to your situation though.

I tries this and it didn't work for me. The album names changed in my music library, but not on the app. Thanks for the tip though
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(27-Nov-2016, 10:15)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: What a tagger does, is that it writes the metada at the end of the flac file, so there is no way that you will spoil/destroy the audio part. In your case, I would suggest trying musichi tagger.

Think I may regret this but god loves a trier Smile
The Bruno Mars album now has the track names and I honestly have no idea how I did it..... problem is it lost the album cover ?
(02-Dec-2016, 17:03)Womaz Wrote:

Think I may regret this but god loves a trier Smile
The Bruno Mars album now has the track names and I honestly have no idea how I did it..... problem is it lost the album cover ?

On the tagger, select the second tab on the upper left corner. You will see an empty square on the upper right corner. In this square, drag and drop the Jpg image of the cover. Then press save.

I am writing through my mobile , so forgive my spelling
Hope this helps
Thanks for all of your help with this post.
I will need to watch the tutorials as what I am doing does not appear to change anything . For eg I have about 4 albums called Paradise , two of them are not on any database and two are. The two that are I have tried to use the tagger and I thought I had done it all correctly. However in my app they are still grouped together . One of them did become separate for the others but I think that's because the word " explicit" was added to the album title.
I will persevere as I am determined to get this sorted and the more I use it the more proficient I will become .
To bypass this problem, is have decided to also write next to the album the company and the barcode and then the year . For example,

Pink Floyd - The wall [warner music - 1234567] (2007)

This way I can track the different versions of the same album.
(02-Dec-2016, 14:57)Womaz Wrote: I have purchased this as it was  worth the gamble, but I am struggling to make sense of it all. I will watch a few videos to see if it gets any clearer.
The files are correctly tagged on my Melco .......its the app that does not recognise them. So not sure if this tagger will help. My aplogies for my total lack of knowledge here.

I took the opportunity to try the trial suite and was, frankly, baffled.
I normally persevere until I understand how an app/software functions but honestly I could not be bothered.
I am clearly not on the same wavelength as the developers.
I recall JRiver being more logical to my way of thinking.
Any occasional tag editing I need to do is handled adequately by DBPoweramp.

Anyway, I wish you the best in learning how to use what appears to be a powerful tagging tool.