Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really good recordings
There is a great Bass / HiFi Test Collection over at Tidal https://tidal.com/playlist/98f8a594-5a75...c0bd5036a4
Hello to all Vinyl-lovers out there,

today I would like to present the second album of bass player Reza Askari.

[Image: 112786-3cbc4e0a-7e73-4ce7-ac04-c855448a2ddf-jpeg]

Vita
Born in Fulda in 1986, Reza learned to play the piano at the age of eight and switched to the electric bass at 12. Here he first took lessons with Fred Nash, later with Wolfgang Hahling, Dave King and Decebal Badila.

After graduating from high school, he began his music studies in 2006, specializing in jazz e-bass at the Hochschule für Musik und Tanz in Cologne with Marius Goldhammer. Since 2008 he has also been studying double bass at the Hochschule für Musik und Tanz Köln with Dieter Manderscheid and Sebastian Gramss.

In September 2012 he will graduate with distinction. He also received piano lessons from Hans Lüdemann and Florian Ross.

In 2012 he founded his own formation "Roar" - this consists of:
Reza Askari: bass
Stefan Karl: Saxophone
Fabian Arends: Percussion

In April 2017 Roar released the debut of the same name. Like "Magic Realism", it was recorded in the Cologne loft in 2014.

Since 2013 Reza Askari is a permanent member of the "Thomas Rückert Trio". In the same year the piano trio released their first CD "Meera".
With the double trio "Makkro" (I - Janning Trumann - tb, Reza Askari - b, Fabian Arends - dr, II - Christian Lorenzen - p, Oliver Lutz - b, Thomas Sauerborn - dr) the CD "Raeume" is released in June 2013.

At the brilliant performance with the group "Colonel Petrov's Good Judgement" during Winterjazz 2015 in Cologne (Sebastian Müller-Guitar / Rafael Calman and Nils Tegen - drums) Reza Askari showed herself from a completely different side.
Influenced less by Jazz, but rather by bands with a strong character from the harder rock area, such as Black Sabbath, Earth and the Melvins, one side of the electric bass flies when performing with this band.

Reza played from 2009-2011 in the concert line-up of the Bundesjazzorchester(BuJazzO) and from 2008-2010 in the Landesjugendjazzorchester Hessen, with which he traveled through countries like China, Vietnam, South Korea, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine, Canada and the USA.

He has already worked with artists such as Marc Ducret, Benny Golson, Jeff Hamilton, Peter Herbolzheimer, Mike Herting, Frank Haunschild, Heiner Wiberny, Gerd Dudek, John Hollenbeck, Jiggs Whigham, Gary Versace, Max Herre and Clueso and at numerous festivals such as the Leverkusener Jazztage, the Port Townsend Jazz Festival, Jazz Lives In Syria, Hot Jazz Summit Ploiesti, Jazzfest Berlin, Moers Festival, Summer Klaeng Köln, Klaeng Festival Köln and the Acht Brücken Festival in Köln.

Vinyl / Recording

The album was recorded in 2018 at the Loft in Cologne, Germany, with Christian Heck at the controls (as on the debut). You can find more information about the Cologne Loft and the "tonart Studio" here:
https://www.loftkoeln.de/de/studio/
https://www.tonart-studio.de/

A special vinyl mastering was done by Michael Fossenkemper in the "Turteltone Studios" in New York.

The cover is kept simple (no gatefold) - which I personally don't mind though (saves space on the shelf). The vinyl itself is steel and comes in a lined cover in bright red:

[Image: 112787-2b4ed579-7128-449c-9047-728968b4d882-jpeg]

[Image: 112788-e7e5ca6a-535e-48ad-b170-2ec0c009f169-jpeg]

The pressing is absolutely flat and the sound is at reference level. There is no running noise at all. Comparable to the current Tone Poet or even TBM or Impex presses.

Music

On Magic Realism you can hear "current" jazz.
Sometimes played fast and powerful, like in the opener Firefly or Play, sometimes soft and soulful like in the title track Magic Realism. In Bottrop Bebop it also drifts slightly towards Free Jazz - here with good drumming.

The trio without a hamonic instrument, such as piano or guitar, allows the musicians to play without a limiting harmonic corset, an additional freedom that the musicians on this record fully exploit. If you are now afraid that this is a wild Free Jazz album, I can reassure you. The pieces are very catchy and live from the very sensitive interaction of the musicians. You can hear well that they have played together very often. I have listened to this record at least twenty times now and I am always discovering new things that fascinate me.

Reza Askari plays on this album an old double bass by Pöllmann with gut sides. This results in this great dark and powerful sound.

The sound of this record is very detailed and transparent. So you can hear very well the finest nuances of drumming or blowing noises on the saxophone. So I wish for a fine jazz recording. You just notice this record with how much attention to detail it was produced. This is not only true for the music, the mastering and the press quality is excellent.

If I had to name a highlight on the album (which is really difficult), it would probably be Painman. Rarely have I heard a bass that was so beautifully "captured" as a recording...

Where to buy

The vinyl is exclusively available on bandcamp:
https://rezaaskari.bandcamp.com/album/magic-realism-2

The jazz fan and collector should hurry before the limited edition of 300 copies is sold out.

atb, Tom
Devialet 440pro CI - TAD CE-1
Antipodes K50
Bauer Audio DPS3 iT/v.d.H Colibri XGP LW
Germany
@tom539 Thanks for the suggestion - I found the album on Qobuz and am enjoying it very much. As you said, it is a superb recording of excellent music.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(06-Oct-2020, 19:46)tom539 Wrote: Hello to all Vinyl-lovers out there,

today I would like to present the second album of bass player Reza Askari.

[Image: 112786-3cbc4e0a-7e73-4ce7-ac04-c855448a2ddf-jpeg]

Vita
Born in Fulda in 1986, Reza learned to play the piano at the age of eight and switched to the electric bass at 12. Here he first took lessons with Fred Nash, later with Wolfgang Hahling, Dave King and Decebal Badila.

After graduating from high school, he began his music studies in 2006, specializing in jazz e-bass at the Hochschule für Musik und Tanz in Cologne with Marius Goldhammer. Since 2008 he has also been studying double bass at the Hochschule für Musik und Tanz Köln with Dieter Manderscheid and Sebastian Gramss.

In September 2012 he will graduate with distinction. He also received piano lessons from Hans Lüdemann and Florian Ross.

In 2012 he founded his own formation "Roar" - this consists of:
Reza Askari: bass
Stefan Karl: Saxophone
Fabian Arends: Percussion

In April 2017 Roar released the debut of the same name. Like "Magic Realism", it was recorded in the Cologne loft in 2014.

Since 2013 Reza Askari is a permanent member of the "Thomas Rückert Trio". In the same year the piano trio released their first CD "Meera".
With the double trio "Makkro" (I - Janning Trumann - tb, Reza Askari - b, Fabian Arends - dr, II - Christian Lorenzen - p, Oliver Lutz - b, Thomas Sauerborn - dr) the CD "Raeume" is released in June 2013.

At the brilliant performance with the group "Colonel Petrov's Good Judgement" during Winterjazz 2015 in Cologne (Sebastian Müller-Guitar / Rafael Calman and Nils Tegen - drums) Reza Askari showed herself from a completely different side.
Influenced less by Jazz, but rather by bands with a strong character from the harder rock area, such as Black Sabbath, Earth and the Melvins, one side of the electric bass flies when performing with this band.

Reza played from 2009-2011 in the concert line-up of the Bundesjazzorchester(BuJazzO) and from 2008-2010 in the Landesjugendjazzorchester Hessen, with which he traveled through countries like China, Vietnam, South Korea, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine, Canada and the USA.

He has already worked with artists such as Marc Ducret, Benny Golson, Jeff Hamilton, Peter Herbolzheimer, Mike Herting, Frank Haunschild, Heiner Wiberny, Gerd Dudek, John Hollenbeck, Jiggs Whigham, Gary Versace, Max Herre and Clueso and at numerous festivals such as the Leverkusener Jazztage, the Port Townsend Jazz Festival, Jazz Lives In Syria, Hot Jazz Summit Ploiesti, Jazzfest Berlin, Moers Festival, Summer Klaeng Köln, Klaeng Festival Köln and the Acht Brücken Festival in Köln.

Vinyl / Recording

The album was recorded in 2018 at the Loft in Cologne, Germany, with Christian Heck at the controls (as on the debut). You can find more information about the Cologne Loft and the "tonart Studio" here:
https://www.loftkoeln.de/de/studio/
https://www.tonart-studio.de/

A special vinyl mastering was done by Michael Fossenkemper in the "Turteltone Studios" in New York.

The cover is kept simple (no gatefold) - which I personally don't mind though (saves space on the shelf). The vinyl itself is steel and comes in a lined cover in bright red:

[Image: 112787-2b4ed579-7128-449c-9047-728968b4d882-jpeg]

[Image: 112788-e7e5ca6a-535e-48ad-b170-2ec0c009f169-jpeg]

The pressing is absolutely flat and the sound is at reference level. There is no running noise at all. Comparable to the current Tone Poet or even TBM or Impex presses.

Music

On Magic Realism you can hear "current" jazz.
Sometimes played fast and powerful, like in the opener Firefly or Play, sometimes soft and soulful like in the title track Magic Realism. In Bottrop Bebop it also drifts slightly towards Free Jazz - here with good drumming.

The trio without a hamonic instrument, such as piano or guitar, allows the musicians to play without a limiting harmonic corset, an additional freedom that the musicians on this record fully exploit. If you are now afraid that this is a wild Free Jazz album, I can reassure you. The pieces are very catchy and live from the very sensitive interaction of the musicians. You can hear well that they have played together very often. I have listened to this record at least twenty times now and I am always discovering new things that fascinate me.

Reza Askari plays on this album an old double bass by Pöllmann with gut sides. This results in this great dark and powerful sound.

The sound of this record is very detailed and transparent. So you can hear very well the finest nuances of drumming or blowing noises on the saxophone. So I wish for a fine jazz recording. You just notice this record with how much attention to detail it was produced. This is not only true for the music, the mastering and the press quality is excellent.

If I had to name a highlight on the album (which is really difficult), it would probably be Painman. Rarely have I heard a bass that was so beautifully "captured" as a recording...

Where to buy

The vinyl is exclusively available on bandcamp:
https://rezaaskari.bandcamp.com/album/magic-realism-2

The jazz fan and collector should hurry before the limited edition of 300 copies is sold out.

atb, Tom
Very good suggestion now listening .

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
(28-Aug-2019, 20:44)tom539 Wrote: Take a look on the „One Mic recordings“ from Soundliaison in DSD:
https://www.soundliaison.com/

atb, Tom
Also some nice artists now listening.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk