Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Fondamenta Label
Here is the topic for questions about the Fondamenta label
The Lost Recordings & Fondamenta Music Labels
Devialet 1000 Pro, Focal Stella, Riffaud Saturn Turntable, Lyra Atlas, Ortofon Synergy, Miyajima Zero, Whest Audio Reference V Phono Preamp, Absolue Creations Tim-Reference Cables, 
Devialet 220, Focal Diablo Evo, Absolue Creations Ul-tim cables
Phantom Gold + White tree
Phantom Reactor 900
Hello Phoenix - could I politely suggest that this thread might be better placed in another section of the forum (e.g. Your Music) since it's not strictly Devialet News?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Yes, of course but it's more linked to Devialet and will be even more in a few days than the subject concerning Micromega which is in the Devialet News... Smile
Devialet 1000 Pro, Focal Stella, Riffaud Saturn Turntable, Lyra Atlas, Ortofon Synergy, Miyajima Zero, Whest Audio Reference V Phono Preamp, Absolue Creations Tim-Reference Cables, 
Phantom Reactor 900
Just in case : For those like me who have been trying to copy Fondamenta files to Naim downloads folder (HDX, ...), you'll have to edit metadata and remove special characters such as _ and/or shorten some titles. After that it works perfectly and the sq is killer (I've just listened to CD1 by André Navarra : can't wait for the Elgar concerto on CD5).
Bruno

Auralic Aries g2.1 / Chord Qutest / CLEARAUDIO Blackmotion - cartridge Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 mm/  /Gryphon Diablo 300 / Blue jeans cable / Apertura Edena Evolution
After lots of wiggle the download of the Navarra recordings in 6 parts happend to be easy.

Now I listened to some of the recordings, every CD recorded at different places/times like you can hear.

As I understand the Phoenix Process the ultimate AD conversion is made with a Devialet amp (I think the 'old' Expert Line was at work?).
Technically the recordings are stunning in the fact of having a very low level of jitter in it. Very smooth, no edges, very homogeneous...nice  Smile

The sound could be very healing to some D owner who still have some digital edginess in their audio chain. They will be very pleased.

But...and I can only speculate on this, there was very much processing done after AD conversion and for my taste it was overdone. CD1 sounds kind of dull to me and CD2 being the best in respect of SQ for me (especially the duet recordings a very good). 

The processing cut down the sough of the analogue recordings to a very low level and just to me the instruments lack of the high transients as does the decay of room reverberation. The tension of the musical representation suffers in a way of that.
It may not be of much respect to say the instruments (especially the cello) sound 'dead' but (and this I don't know) either the digital processing was overdone or the recording itself (since being kind of 'old') are not of high resolution.

The music itself is gorgeous and as their date of origin is in the first analogue stereo years it wouldn't bother me to hear that (in form of sough and the like) if I can only get more of the 'living' instrument to hear from.

Maybe Phoenix can resolve on some processes made while mastering this beautiful music.

Congrets for the job anyway. I'm tensed to hear future recordings made by the Phoenix Processing.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(25-Nov-2016, 16:26)thumb5 Wrote: Hello Phoenix - could I politely suggest that this thread might be better placed in another section of the forum (e.g. Your Music) since it's not strictly Devialet News?

Perhaps it's time for a 'trade' section?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Dear Yaba, don't forget a remastering has to take on original tapes and you can't "make" what it is not on the original tape. Can I suggest you to compare the Elgar for example with the Testament release? Or the Brahms with the original Supraphon release? Anyway, we are always pleased to hear some feedbacks from music lovers!
Phantom Reactor 900
(26-Nov-2016, 23:54)Phoenix Wrote: Dear Yaba, don't forget a remastering has to take on original tapes and you can't "make" what it is not on the original tape. Can I suggest you to compare the Elgar for example with the Testament release? Or the Brahms with the original Supraphon release? Anyway, we are always pleased to hear some feedbacks from music lovers!

No I didn't forget about what is 'left' on the original tape...it was actually my question to you and now I assume there isn't much more details left on the originial tape.
Sorry, I don't have the suggested recordings at hand to compare. What is your opinion about them. Are they poorly mastered or are they very 'raw' material, mostly untouched?

I presume that you have to take compromises while remastering a tape recording as it comes to sough, crackles and the like in context with maintaining all the details of the music?
My own liking is to have all the details available while the 'analogue artefacts' come second within remastering.
I'll try to get a copy of the suggested files to compare though.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Some of you could possibly prefer other releases of the Saint-Saens and the Lalo, because of the tapes which were not really well preserved but on the other hand, you won't find them in 24bit. For all other works, I sincerely think we did a far better job than any others and actually, the best possible nowadays. Phoenix Mastering is a 4 steps process. The digital mastering is the final step. I can't tell much but others since I don't know how they work. But I truly think the results are incomparable with the job we're doing. Even on the final step, we're the only one who can treat the whiffs and crackles without any damages to the sound spectrum. To love artefacts is another question...
Phantom Reactor 900
(26-Nov-2016, 16:21)yabaVR Wrote: After lots of wiggle the download of the Navarra recordings in 6 parts happend to be easy.

Now I listened to some of the recordings, every CD recorded at different places/times like you can hear.

As I understand the Phoenix Process the ultimate AD conversion is made with a Devialet amp (I think the 'old' Expert Line was at work?).
Technically the recordings are stunning in the fact of having a very low level of jitter in it. Very smooth, no edges, very homogeneous...nice  Smile

The sound could be very healing to some D owner who still have some digital edginess in their audio chain. They will be very pleased.

But...and I can only speculate on this, there was very much processing done after AD conversion and for my taste it was overdone. CD1 sounds kind of dull to me and CD2 being the best in respect of SQ for me (especially the duet recordings a very good). 

The processing cut down the sough of the analogue recordings to a very low level and just to me the instruments lack of the high transients as does the decay of room reverberation. The tension of the musical representation suffers in a way of that.
It may not be of much respect to say the instruments (especially the cello) sound 'dead' but (and this I don't know) either the digital processing was overdone or the recording itself (since being kind of 'old') are not of high resolution.

The music itself is gorgeous and as their date of origin is in the first analogue stereo years it wouldn't bother me to hear that (in form of sough and the like) if I can only get more of the 'living' instrument to hear from.

Maybe Phoenix can resolve on some processes made while mastering this beautiful music.

Congrets for the job anyway. I'm tensed to hear future recordings made by the Phoenix Processing.

gui

Is this what's termed damning with faint praise.

Not sure how you are able to tell that what your hearing (or not) is the re-mastering or the quality (or lack of) on the master tapes.

I am sure that if Bob Stuart told us it was perfect everyone would love it Tongue
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers