Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading to Phantom Gold?
I have 2 white Phantoms since march 2015. I am totally in love with them!

Now I am seriously considering upgrading to Phantom Gold. How much I love Phantom, there's always room for improvement, right. I don't need the extra power, that's for sure. It's pure regarding soundquality. More detail, crisp and smooth treble is always nice. But is upgrading and spending my hard-earned money really worth it? Is treble so much better with the titanium tweeters? Am I going to be disappointed or is it a safe bet?
Happy Phantom user since april 2015 (currently 2 Gold Phantom, Dialog, Branch/Tree) with Tidal hifi.
It is not only the tweeter that has changed. I guess it is just as important that ADH is improved and also other parts of the Phantom design. Unfortunately I have not listened to a pair of Golds yet so I can not be more specific. Others who upgraded or own both Silver and Golds say the improvement is quite clear.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I upgraded from silvers to golds last week after auditioning them side by side in a Devialet store. The treble extension is much much better on the golds, and the mids are clearer too. Bass is about the same. Having listened to the white phantom when I originally bought my silvers, I can say that the difference is pretty profound between the whites and the golds.
Upgrade value depends on what it's worth to you. BUT yes the Golds are better, especially the trebles. For me, it is a worthwhile upgrade over the Silvers which I would guess to be also worthwhile from the Whites.
(25-Nov-2016, 18:28)ogs Wrote: It is not only the tweeter that has changed. I guess it is just as important that ADH is improved and also other parts of the Phantom design. Unfortunately I have not listened to a pair of Golds yet so I can not be more specific. Others who upgraded or own both Silver and Golds say the improvement is quite clear.

No, Some people say its not clear, Some people likes the silvers more then the golds
(25-Nov-2016, 19:45)Johnnydev Wrote: No, Some people say its not clear, Some people likes the silvers more then the golds

I should say that I only have experience with Phantom White. Devialet says that the Gold is the "Audiophile" Phantom. I do not know if this is true, but reports from those that have heard Golds support this. Some may prefer Silvers depending on musical taste, room acoustics or playback equipment variables. That is perfectly all right of course.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Does anyone know if the delay / lip sync issue present in the silvers/whites is present in the golds also?
No difference. You can play Silver, Golds in different rooms, and they are identical in timing as I've pulled two pairs into the same room, and both playing to give a larger soundstage. (Bipole arrangement) As to lip sync, it is such a small delay that none in my family have noticed it without me pointing it out. Devialet seems to have improved it from some months back.
Just received a pair of Gold's and the first impression is that the treble is much better than the Silver's. More refined and extended. A more "airy" sound. Not a bad thing.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(30-Nov-2016, 19:30)ragwo Wrote: Just received a pair of Gold's and the first impression is that the treble is much better than the Silver's. More refined and extended. A more "airy" sound. Not a bad thing.

Hello og gratulerer med Phantom Gold :-) i got a pair my self.

How satisfied are you? Is it true what they say about the bas and treble differenses from the silver?