Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac mini or Synology (or something else)??
@BoyScout

How large is your music collection?

What music player software are you using?

Can you use ethernet to connect both your Devialet and a PC/Mac?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(22-Dec-2016, 01:29)baddog Wrote: @BoyScout

How large is your music collection?

What music player software are you using?

Can you use ethernet to connect both your Devialet and a PC/Mac?
Hi,
I´ve a bit more than a thousand cd´s. But i want to listen different and new music, they bother me a bit, for now.
I don´t have a music player, yet. I´m thinking on a JRiver or Roon, to run on my mac.
Yes, i´ve already my Devi connected to my mac by a ethernet cable (with time, i´ll improve these connections with better cables).
Thanks, baddog.
(21-Dec-2016, 19:29)BoyScout Wrote: Hi frejo,

I´m trying to do exactly as you: keep it simple but sounding the best possible.
You´ve almost a month of advantage from me. Can you share your experience with me?
What kind of connection have you exactly? Are you happy now? Costs a lot or not?
Thank you so much and sorry for the inconvenience.

I bought an Asus minivivo un-45. It has no fan which I think is good. I paid appr. € 100 plus an M2-disk, some ram and a wifi-card. Total cost around € 300. I already owned a couple of windows 10 pro licences so I used one of those. I'm running the asus headless using jriver remote. It works fine. I'm running AIR Ethernet to the Devialet, a tittle tricky but I got good help from a posting somewhere on the forum. I tried running wifi but got lots of drop outs and lots of noise on 24/192 (still not perfect with Ethernet but much better). I tried an Audioquest Vodka Ethernet Cable and I found that it improved the sound quite a lot. With an ordinary cable the sound is more dull, I think.
I'm quite happy at the moment but I'm thinking of trying something like the Audiophile Optimizer later on.
Hope this helps
Merry X-mas
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(22-Dec-2016, 14:32)frejo Wrote: I bought an Asus minivivo un-45. It has no fan which I think is good. I paid appr. € 100 plus an M2-disk, some ram and a wifi-card. Total cost around € 300. I already owned a couple of windows 10 pro licences so I used one of those. I'm running the asus headless using jriver remote. It works fine. I'm running AIR Ethernet to the Devialet, a tittle tricky but I got good help from a posting somewhere on the forum. I tried running wifi but got lots of drop outs and lots of noise on 24/192 (still not perfect with Ethernet but much better). I tried an Audioquest Vodka Ethernet Cable and I found that it improved the sound quite a lot. With an ordinary cable the sound is more dull, I think.
I'm quite happy at the moment but I'm thinking of trying something like the Audiophile Optimizer later on.
Hope this helps
Merry X-mas

Thanks frejo, helps a lot.
That´s the way i pretend to take.
I´m realizing that this is NOT a straight and obvious process, there´s a lot more details to care than a tradicional almost full analogic system.
For now i´ll try JRiver with the mac and an old hard drive already around here.
Then i ´ll need to find some good hi-definition files of music to try.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you all at home.
Cheers,