Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac mini or Synology (or something else)??
By the way, can a Qnap running jRiver be a good idea as an only source?
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
I propose this as a 'wildcard' option .......

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/colle...2546788292
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Yes, JRemote should work great with JRIVER.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(28-Nov-2016, 14:07)frejo Wrote: By the way, can a Qnap running jRiver be a good idea as an only source?

Yes! I use a QNAP HS251+ running JRiver and controlled with JRemote on an iPad. I used to run this straight into the D visa USB and it sounded great. I now run the QNAP into my Mutec and on to the D via AES/EBU which improves the SQ even further.
This is not my only source, however. I also use a Sonos Connect, a turntable and a CD player.
If it came to it, I could easily be happy with just the QNAP as my only source. It never fails!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(28-Nov-2016, 17:24)Axel Wrote:
(28-Nov-2016, 14:07)frejo Wrote: By the way, can a Qnap running jRiver be a good idea as an only source?

Yes! I use a QNAP HS251+ running JRiver and controlled with JRemote on an iPad. I used to run this straight into the D visa USB and it sounded great. I now run the QNAP into my Mutec and on to the D via AES/EBU which improves the SQ even further.
This is not my only source, however. I also use a Sonos Connect, a turntable and a CD player.
If it came to it, I could easily be happy with just the QNAP as my only source. It never fails!

Great!

Is it also possible to set JRiver to "play from memory instead of disk"? This since it seems to improve SQ, at least for me.

But just to make things clear( maybe I'm an idiot) but if I buy the HS251 (must it be the "+"?) I can install some kind of operating system like w10, install JRiver and use my iPad or Android as a remote, connect it via USB straight into Dev - and that's it? No need for any computer during playback?
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Devialet Gemini
(28-Nov-2016, 20:00)frejo Wrote:
(28-Nov-2016, 17:24)Axel Wrote:

Great!

Is it also possible to set JRiver to "play from memory instead of disk"? This since it seems to improve SQ, at least for me.

But just to make things clear( maybe I'm an idiot) but if I buy the HS251 (must it be the "+"?) I can install some kind of operating system like w10, install JRiver and use my iPad or Android as a remote, connect it via USB straight into Dev - and that's it? No need for any computer during playback?

Erm, I think you can play from memory, but can't be sure. The plus has an extra Gigabyte of RAM and  a more powerful quad core processor and I'm not sure whether the 251 can run JRiver. It won't run Windows, but has Linux built in. Just install JRiver from QNAPs website, then you can go straight into the Devialet via USB. No need for a computer to be running during playback although you will need a monitor/television connected via HDMI to set JRiver up. You will also either have to connect a mouse and keyboard or use Qremote (which is what I use) to input data.
If you need any more advice, please ask. Alternatively, there is a JRiver Wiki, which has comprehensive help files.

Edit: I've just checked, and you can play files from memory although I've never needed to use this setting.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Ok thanks,

For me I notice a difference when playing from memory, perhaps you should try it?

I also took a look into a NUC, something I haven't even heard of before (my God I'm getting old) and this also seems like a good idea running headless via Ethernet? Lots of options...
Devialet Gemini
(29-Nov-2016, 15:59)frejo Wrote: Ok thanks,

For me I notice a difference when playing from memory, perhaps you should try it?

I also took a look into a NUC, something I haven't even heard of before (my God I'm getting old) and this also seems like a good idea running headless via Ethernet? Lots of options...

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a whirl.  Smile. I expect a NUC would work out a bit cheaper.
South Coast England
Good evening

You state in first post that you want to keep it simple, have you considered a Aurender, been using mine for a year, it just works, and to my ears sounds great...

I have also been through the PC route, now I just sit back and enjoy the music

Br Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
(29-Nov-2016, 21:00)Morten Wrote: Good evening

You state in first post that you want to keep it simple, have you considered a Aurender, been using mine for a year, it just works, and to my ears sounds great...

I have also been through the PC route, now I just sit back and enjoy the music

Br Morten

+1

I went from a Mac Mini to an Aurender  N100H and think its better overall sound than the Mac Mini.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.