Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Devialet 130 Pro reviewed by SoundStage Hi-Fi May 2017
I'm been in this hobby for 40 years.  In my ever-most humble opinion, I've found that the better my system is, the bigger differential I find between good recordings and poor recordings.   Since having upgraded from a Dev 200 last year to a Dev 440 Pro early this year, I have to say that I find myself avoiding poor recordings more and more.   

If my highly-resolving system can more easily convey such differences, I find that a very positive attribute.   BUT (and I struggle with this), there's a lot of music I use to love that I have a tough time listening to now on the big rig.  But hey, it still sounds great in the car.

Is it possible that a great system actually changes how we enjoy music?   I suspect it does.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(24-May-2017, 00:31)mdconnelly Wrote: I'm been in this hobby for 40 years.  In my ever-most humble opinion, I've found that the better my system is, the bigger differential I find between good recordings and poor recordings.   Since having upgraded from a Dev 200 last year to a Dev 440 Pro early this year, I have to say that I find myself avoiding poor recordings more and more.   

If my highly-resolving system can more easily convey such differences, I find that a very positive attribute.   BUT (and I struggle with this), there's a lot of music I use to love that I have a tough time listening to now on the big rig.  But hey, it still sounds great in the car.

Is it possible that a great system actually changes how we enjoy music?   I suspect it does.

Totally agree with you. Since downloading various hi-res tracks, I've only played about five CDs, even though they do sound much better than with my old rig. I do however, listen to the radio more than I used to. Even a low bitrate stream from the likes of Radio Paradise sounds fantastic with the Mutec in the chain and the upsampling that the Devialet carries out.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(24-May-2017, 00:31)mdconnelly Wrote: BUT (and I struggle with this), there's a lot of music I use to love that I have a tough time listening to now on the big rig.  But hey, it still sounds great in the car.

There's a lot of music that is mastered for the car! When I upgraded my system I realized that a recording that sounds truly magical in the car -- Lonely & Blue: The Deepest Soul of Otis -- does not sound magical on a less limited high resolving system. The same tracks on Otis Redding King of Soul in 96/24 (and beautifully remastered) are far less engaging in the car and magical at home. ("Amen" from the latter is just incredible on the Grimm or the Devialet).
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C