Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
250 Pro
Am I the only one that dose not like the upgrade? Compared to the 250 which created magic to my ears, I find the pro recessed and at lower volumes, no details. The old d 250 used to put the musicians in the room with me and the Pro 250 has me standing outside the room with the door closed. for those thinking getting the upgrade I highly suggest you listen to one first. Vocals are no longer clear I find myself straining to hear them. The D250 I could always make out the room they were recording in, there was presence a kind of sparkle to the sound. So am I alone in this and if so what might I be doing wrong?
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
Burn in? Have you made all the connections correctly?
(27-Nov-2016, 19:35)woodstock Wrote: Am I the only one that dose not like the upgrade? Compared to the 250 which created magic to my ears, I find the pro recessed and at lower volumes, no details. The old d 250 used to put the musicians in the room with me and the Pro 250 has me standing outside the room with the door closed. for those thinking getting the upgrade I highly suggest you listen to one first.

In my setup, sam and dpm off, i can hear more details than before, also in lower volumes and in all frequencies. Maybe the soundstage is now to wide, so the music loses her emotion. Especially in voices i miss the magic of music. So as you said, the musician is not more in the same room.
Devialet 250 pro ci, Linn Akurate G-Hub Nr.15 with clock upgrade, Linn G-Sneaky No.6, Pro-ject Perspektive Anniversary, Harbeth SHL5Plus, Synology DS218+, two subwoofer Canton 50k, Audioquest cable, Kimber Cable 12tc.

Germany.
(27-Nov-2016, 20:06)4tLotM Wrote:
(27-Nov-2016, 19:35)woodstock Wrote: Am I the only one that dose not like the upgrade? Compared to the 250 which created magic to my ears, I find the pro recessed and at lower volumes, no details. The old d 250 used to put the musicians in the room with me and the Pro 250 has me standing outside the room with the door closed. for those thinking getting the upgrade I highly suggest you listen to one first.

In my setup, sam and dpm off, i can hear more details than before, also in lower volumes and in all frequencies. Maybe the soundstage is now to wide, so the music loses her emotion. Especially in voices i miss the magic of music. So as you said, the musician is not more in the same room.

Thanks for the tip.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
I went from 200 to 250 pro so not the same comparison, but to give my comments on the upgrade; while I find some aspects of it not quite to my taste, I general I prefer it - but I can easily see why some people might not.

That said, lack of detail at any volume is definitely not something I experience. I also find more presence and sparkle in the pro. But in my setup the extra detail extraction, especially at the top end, can at times make things sound very thin and not lifelike in my opinion.

How long did you have a 250 for? What firmware were you using on the 250? You may well have just become very used to the sound and it's a sound you prefer. But if you were using older firmware and hadn't heard the latest, or a pro, it could well be quite a shock.

I did play with the toe in of the speakers a bit too.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(27-Nov-2016, 19:35)woodstock Wrote: Am I the only one that dose not like the upgrade? Compared to the 250 which created magic to my ears, I find the pro recessed and at lower volumes, no details. The old d 250 used to put the musicians in the room with me and the Pro 250 has me standing outside the room with the door closed. for those thinking getting the upgrade I highly suggest you listen to one first. Vocals are no longer clear I find myself straining to hear them. The D250 I could always make out the room they were recording in, there was presence a kind of sparkle to the sound. So am I alone in this and if so what might I be doing wrong?
This does not sound right at all, quite the opposite of what I experienced. Do you have a dealer you could compare yours to a dem unit at?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
Had my D 250 since April of this year. I've tried reconfiguring the unit with no change. I have been playing it for a week now but even so when I received upgraded DPremier to the D 250 it was pretty evident the superior sound quality it was putting forth. I have to dealers close by since I have moved back to Vancouver, another BIG mistake. I'll try to set up some time with them for a comparison. Firm ware being used on the D250 was 10.0.5
It might take some more weeks time for the new D250 Pro to settle. I hope you will be more satisfied with your Pro series as time goed by.

But as stated by others too, I found the sound of the Pro differ significantly from the expert series. Not all in favour of the Pro series. Depends a lot on your taste, your speakers and acoustics. I considered the Pro less neutral and also less to my taste compared to the expert and chose to go double mono expert with my upgrading money instead of going Pro.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
I find my 250 Pro to better my previous 250 in every way; to be clear: no exceptions, all aspects.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(27-Nov-2016, 23:18)Antoine Wrote: I find my 250 Pro to better my previous 250 in every way; to be clear: no exceptions, all aspects.

Is it more powerful ?