Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3R USB by Ideon Audio
(30-Nov-2016, 14:16)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(30-Nov-2016, 08:18)Antoine Wrote: The USB interface and its circuitry is part of the daughterboard Devialet calls 'DUET' (the U is for USB). It hasn't changed since the introduction of the 110/170/240/etc. Today the same card is still fitted into the Pro's.

If they'll change anything they'll do it with the introduction of the new 2017 OS card. I'm curious if they will change much, I just don't think there's enough space on the tiny board to do a proper job which for me should include the nowadays essential galvanic isolation.

Regarding this 3R device, evolutionary seen it's outdated. Functionally it's similar to the Regen and many others that followed (iFi, Schitt, Wyred4Sound, ...) These type of devices are superseded by devices that employ proper and full galvanic isolation like the Intona and Singxer devices. Uptone Audio themselves are currently also working on an improved Regen "2" which holds that functionality (and who knows what else) as well.

For sale: 3R USB by Ideon Audio. Never been used. I don't even have it yet....... Huh

Oops sorry Pim, I surely didn't want to ruin it for you! Just some general comments on the tech side of things. If this 3R is any good it'll easily be better than USB direct. Smile

To be honest I do wonder if Fragoulisnaval has any affiliations with Ideon Audio. Both seem to be Greek and I saw him posting the same post (which I think reads a bit like an advertisement) on computeraudiophile.com.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(30-Nov-2016, 15:36)warpeon Wrote: I just hoped the streamer board will work and I won't need to deal with USB. USB has now So many enhancers to it, making it clumsy.

That's what we'd all like I think. Whether one uses a music server/streamer/NAA through USB, ethernet or one of the digital inputs in all these cases there's stuff to make it better while in theory 'less is more' and AIR or whatever directly supported internal streaming protocol Devialet offers should be best. Unfortunately it isn't IMO/IME and I doubt it'll change with this new OS board, time will tell though! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(30-Nov-2016, 15:47)Antoine Wrote: To be honest I do wonder if Fragoulisnaval has any affiliations with Ideon Audio. Both seem to be Greek and I saw him posting the same post (which I think reads a bit like an advertisement) on computeraudiophile.com.

Antoine you are correct. I have made the same post there too. It is an English translation of my post here:

http://avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php/15...1057788999

I believe with the help of Google, you will be able to more or less understand. The guy that produces used the nickname VaSiliS-T and works for Ideon.

Currently i am waiting an Intona Isolator for making another comparison:

Intona + 3xRegen against Intona+3R.
(30-Nov-2016, 15:47)Antoine Wrote:
(30-Nov-2016, 14:16)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(30-Nov-2016, 08:18)Antoine Wrote: The USB interface and its circuitry is part of the daughterboard Devialet calls 'DUET' (the U is for USB). It hasn't changed since the introduction of the 110/170/240/etc. Today the same card is still fitted into the Pro's.

If they'll change anything they'll do it with the introduction of the new 2017 OS card. I'm curious if they will change much, I just don't think there's enough space on the tiny board to do a proper job which for me should include the nowadays essential galvanic isolation.

Regarding this 3R device, evolutionary seen it's outdated. Functionally it's similar to the Regen and many others that followed (iFi, Schitt, Wyred4Sound, ...) These type of devices are superseded by devices that employ proper and full galvanic isolation like the Intona and Singxer devices. Uptone Audio themselves are currently also working on an improved Regen "2" which holds that functionality (and who knows what else) as well.

For sale: 3R USB by Ideon Audio. Never been used. I don't even have it yet....... Huh

Oops sorry Pim, I surely didn't want to ruin it for you! Just some general comments on the tech side of things. If this 3R is any good it'll easily be better than USB direct. Smile

To be honest I do wonder if Fragoulisnaval has any affiliations with Ideon Audio. Both seem to be Greek and I saw him posting the same post (which I think reads a bit like an advertisement) on computeraudiophile.com.

LOL! You've read my post; I'm skeptical that any of these devices have a big impact but just felt I needed to try for myself. Ultimately I want to just get an Aurender or similar but that's a long way off. I'm spending buckets on my house at the moment and once that's done it will possibly be subs first, speakers next (unless my C1's work well with the subs), and then a streamer (unless the new streamer board works well).
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Had an 1hr long home demo of the 3R USB device.
Not a perfect setting, with kids doing homework next door, but I was ultimately convinced the Ideon 3R USB is an improvement over my setup.
I currently use Nordost Blue Heaven USB ▸ iFi iPurifier 2 ▸ Dev 250 Pro, which is an improvement over bare Nordost cable, which in turn is better than plain USB cable.

I wouldn't' call it night and day difference, plus, adding yet another power supply may be off-putting for some (the 3R uses an unearthed cheapo power supply).
BUT an improvement nevertheless. Primarily, I find all of these tweaks gradually refine the sound more and more (less roughness/noise). So I suspect adding more in series may have a cumulative effect. But it's subtle. I also noticed a slightly better handling of bass, that became more noticeable after the first 30 mins.

Will (most probably) be ordering it...
Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + Echoes Music 1  |  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T  ⏵  Devialet Expert 250 Pro  ⏵  Boenicke W5 SE, B&W ASW 608 Sub
Do have a look at the Intona (or JCAT USB Isolator which is technically identical in a smaller and nicer looking case). Or make a real big jump and get a Mutec MC-3+ USB.

Just my €0.02 or course, it's not my money. Wink

The Netherlands
(30-Nov-2016, 02:46)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I will let you know my findings.

I have to say in advance I'm quite sceptical about this. I can understand that there might be an issue with the original signal coming through a USB cable but what I can't get my head around is why a company like Devialet would not be able to do themselves with that signal what a regenerating device does.  
Think about it this way. Say there's a huge issue with jitter over USB. Devialet wants to get the best out of their amp but instead of tackling the jitter issue on their USB port with something similar to the 3R USB device built into the amp, they opt to improve their amplification and power supplies. And this is not just Devialet. It's DAC designers almost across the board.

So I'm going in eyes (and ears) open and will see (hear) what happens.

Have you tried it? Impressions?
(10-Jan-2017, 07:40)Fragoulisnaval Wrote:
(30-Nov-2016, 02:46)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I will let you know my findings.

I have to say in advance I'm quite sceptical about this. I can understand that there might be an issue with the original signal coming through a USB cable but what I can't get my head around is why a company like Devialet would not be able to do themselves with that signal what a regenerating device does.  
Think about it this way. Say there's a huge issue with jitter over USB. Devialet wants to get the best out of their amp but instead of tackling the jitter issue on their USB port with something similar to the 3R USB device built into the amp, they opt to improve their amplification and power supplies. And this is not just Devialet. It's DAC designers almost across the board.

So I'm going in eyes (and ears) open and will see (hear) what happens.

Have you tried it? Impressions?

Well, it took a bit to get one...the first one apparently went to the UK. So they sent a new one and that arrived about a week ago. I'm working in the Australian desert for another week so haven't been able to test it. So when I get back i will have the 3R and MQA on Tidal to check out. Busy days ahead!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
LOL Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

Our Fragoulisnaval was asked on CA to describe the sonic character of music with the IDEON device in the chain. This is what he wrote today:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac...post627471

Quote:Sound staging seems to be more accurate, more enveloping and extended in all three dimensions with better separation, yet without losing cohesion.

Low level detail retrieval has improved (maybe this has to do with the fact that distortion/jitter is lowered) making everything sound more natural/cleaner/easier to follow also enhancing microdynamics and reproduction of vibrato and subtle timbre variations like in piano and guitars.

Bass is also more powerful/direct and notes develop more fully, from beginning to end.

And this is what I wrote about the direct connection of a SMS-200 to my music server, January 14th:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...1#pid56711

Quote:Sound staging seems to be more accurate and in any case more enveloping/extended in all three dimensions with better separation but without losing cohesion. Low level detail retrieval has improved (or distortion/jitter is lowered) making everything sound more natural/cleaner/easier to follow also enhancing microdynamics and reproduction of vibrato and subtle timbre variations like in piano and guitars. Bass is also more powerful/direct and notes develop more fully, from beginning to end.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?? Big Grin

The Netherlands
Well I don't know what you're talking about Antoine. I mean there's a couple of carriage returns after 'cohesion' for starters.  Tongue