Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why is the D400 "better" than the D200
Why is the D400 "better" than the D200?

It sounds like an obvious question but I'm confused as I've heard people saying the D400 or even the D1000 sound better. 

I thought the only difference here is that the D400 is capable of producing twice the amplification power of the D200? Suppose that for all of my listening levels the D200 provides enough amplification. How would a D400 be any better in that case?

I'm considering a purchase of a used Devialet and the D400 (older model) is pretty similar price to a newer D220. Which one would you buy?
It's a good question, and - like all good questions - not an easy one to answer.

I'm not sure whether you're asking for a technical answer ("what is the possible mechanism for it to be better") or a subjective answer ("what is the perceived difference in sound quality").

Devialet say that the technical reasons include lower distortion.  That may be a result of both amps operating with balanced outputs, which could reduce distortion due to ground currents (I speculate).

For subjective comments, it's worth having a look elsewhere in this section, particularly in threads about upgrading from a 200 to a 400; for example:
Happy reading Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Double the case and you have twice the D/A conversion, which according to Devialet results in half the distortion. Hence the better sound quality. The extra power will in most cases give more control over the speaker. Don't underestimate the 'power of power' (See what I did there ? Wink ) at low volume. There's almost always enough power to go louder but the extra power gives better control at lower volumes and makes for less distortion and an easier drive. See it as a V8 cruising at lower revs.

As for the 220Pro v 400. There's much to read here already but I think you should compare for yourself with your own speakers in your own room. The 220Pro might be given less distortion but the 400 might give you the power you need. Only your ears can tell.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
As I understand Devialet the improvement in sound when going dual mono is doubling the Voltage/channel. As I know D/A conversion is only done in the master amp. But I can not believe that it's only the voltage/power/less distortion that improves the sound to such amounts.
The times I cornpared a D200 to a D250 or D400  I allways felt there was something going on in the DSP. My thoughts are, if the configurator sees a 250/double mono at hand it gives order to the DSP to pull some filter(s) off the signal path that gives the 'better' amps the more transparent sound with more transients and 'silk' in it. But I'm sure they will never uncover this if they alter the sound this way (VW-style), in terms of reasoning nearly double price of 250 to 200.

I would go with the  D220 because it's the more advanced technically speaking and you can go dual mono anytime in the future with a used D220 (companion) if you feel the need. It might be difficult to make a D220 'sing' at the moment but as sources improve that much nowadays and AIR3 final is at the door it won't take you long.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
DSP perhaps is only done in the master but it's impossible to not do D/A conversion in one or both amps, it has to be done in both since it's an integral part of ADH.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I don't believe in 'better', there is no holy grail, the 1000 is no better than the 120... The specs are different, but if you are happy than it ok. I do believe I was most happy with my second hand B&W Matrix / Rotel set in the 90's...
(01-Dec-2016, 21:46)Antoine Wrote: DSP perhaps is only done in the master but it's impossible to not do D/A conversion in one or both amps, it has to be done in both since it's an integral part of ADH.

Sure, you're right. Should have thougt twice (digital connection M/S Wink ).
gui
berlin
(01-Dec-2016, 22:19)Xander Wrote: I don't believe in 'better', there is no holy grail, the 1000 is no better than the 120... The specs are different, but if you are happy than it ok. I do believe I was most happy with my second hand B&W Matrix / Rotel set in the 90's...

Really Huh

So, what are we talking about here? And why spend all the money for a D1000? Only for Watts?
...but I go with your 'you are happy it's ok'.
gui
berlin
I guess its possible while D -> A -> Amplification chain can be done in some sense of "higher resolution" if theres only one channel going through it vs 2. All the bits and resources of the dac can be used for a single channel, instead of being shared for 2 channels.

All this is of course speculation though. Without any official word from Devialet, its impossible to know.

Anyone running a 5.1 setup with 5 devialets each handling one speaker? haha Wink
(01-Dec-2016, 22:19)Xander Wrote: I don't believe in 'better', there is no holy grail, the 1000 is no better than the 120... The specs are different, but if you are happy than it ok. I do believe I was most happy with my second hand B&W Matrix / Rotel set in the 90's...

Sure there is. But because there is always better equipment, there is no reason why one cannot be happy and satisfied with less than perfect. I have been happy with very humble sets, was very happy with my first Devialet and am very happy with what I have now. I have no problem dreaming up a grail setup, and have no problem with the idea I will probably never own it.

How about a D1000Pro - TAD CR1 - DCS stack? I know that beats my setup, but it doesn't spoil the fun I have with mine ;-)
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands