Poll: How do you like the sound quality of your Pro (newly upgraded from expert)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
60.47%
78 60.47%
Yes, with caveats
6.20%
8 6.20%
No!
0.78%
1 0.78%
No, with caveats
0.78%
1 0.78%
N/A. I upgraded for reasons other than sound quality.
0.78%
1 0.78%
I did not upgrade and don't plan to
31.01%
40 31.01%
Total 129 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Do you like the sound quality of the Expert Pro upgrade?
(23-Dec-2016, 09:49)Chris Marshall Wrote: I'm happy with my 250 pro, my only caveat is that my audio memory is not fantastic and the 250 sounded great before the upgrade as well!

I do think it sounds better at lower volumes though, more punch and clarity.

I know exactly what you mean Chris, for myself I am very glad I was able to do a direct A/B test a while ago, so this helps me clarify my thoughts going forward.  One thing about the punch.  To be honest, when I first did an A/B test I did not notice this, but now I have had a Pro for a while and have listened to a large range of music, every now and again I come across a section of music where the 'punch' is quite startling, and in a good way, very visceral. (and I'm talking about at all volumes here)  More punch and clarity?  I'd have to agree with that!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I also love the change that my upgrade to 1000 Pro made to the sound of my home system, the extra bass power and the ability to listen at lower volumes without missing anything.

A mate who comes over always said you really need to turn up your system to make it work with the 800 this is no longer the case it sounds sublime at all volumes now and I don't feel the need to turn up the wick.

On the other hand I am now in Spain with my little Ergo IX speakers being driven by a D120 and that also is sounding great and as I am in an apartment here I cannot turn it up loud but it just works. Perhaps there is a little magic in the sound of the D120........
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I notice that a lot of Forum members have recently received their Expert amps back, upgraded to Pro specification.  So I just thought that I'd give this thread a weekend 'bump' in case anyone had missed it's existence.

It would be nice to get the votes up to the three figure mark. Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I am still considering to upgrade and will have a listening session soon when my dealer in Frankfurt has got his 220 Pro back. Though I am sorry not being able to participate in this vote as no tick box is foreseen for considered upgrades  Cool
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
It is a pretty impressive result so far. Most people seem to be very happy with the upgrade. I may consider at some point, although I would trade in as need my 200 at home at all times :-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(04-Feb-2017, 11:29)Womaz Wrote: It is a pretty impressive result so far. Most people seem to be very happy with the upgrade. I may consider at some point, although I would trade in as need my 200 at home at all times :-)

If you're serious, you might want to have a chat with Oxford Audio Consultants about their upgrade scheme.  Assuming they're still running the scheme, it means you're not without an amp for more than a day or so.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I've used my 250 Pro for three weeks now and I am happy I decided to do the upgrade. I have added both a LPS-1 and a Mutec re-clocker to the mix in the same period so it is rather difficult to separate the influences. I know one thing for certain; it sounds very good! And my vote is Yes!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(04-Feb-2017, 11:36)thumb5 Wrote:
(04-Feb-2017, 11:29)Womaz Wrote: It is a pretty impressive result so far. Most people seem to be very happy with the upgrade. I may consider at some point, although I would trade in as need my 200 at home at all times :-)

If you're serious, you might want to have a chat with Oxford Audio Consultants about their upgrade scheme.  Assuming they're still running the scheme, it means you're not without an amp for more than a day or so.

Yes I would def go through them as they were very helpful when I considered it before Xmas. I would not audition would probably just go for the 220 Pro, but it will be nearer summer time I think
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(04-Feb-2017, 11:55)Womaz Wrote:
(04-Feb-2017, 11:36)thumb5 Wrote:

Yes I would def go through them as they were very helpful when I considered it before Xmas. I would not audition would probably just go for the 220 Pro, but it will be nearer summer time I think

Indeed, why not just wait to the summer?  By then (maybe, possibly, who knows) the new streamer board will be released, and if it is good, you could PX both the 200 and the Melco.  Sometimes is better not to rush, and it's always good to simply enjoy what you have without worrying too much about the next big thing.  Shy
I don't want to hijack this thread but yes I am fairly sure I will wait to upgrade , if I even do so at all.

My main issue is that I was determined to stop continually searching for the next improvement. For me the system I have now is one I could only have dreamed of five year ago and for me it is a significant investment. I also think it sounds amazing as it is , I really do. Yes it can be improved no doubt and yes I will inevitably fall into that path I imagine as I can afford it .

However my listening habits have unfortunately had to change so not sure how much benefit I would get. The final part of my jigsaw was the addition of the Olympicas and I am delighted with them, they work so well with the detail of the Devialet. The on,y issue is I live in an apartment. I am on the top floor and for over two year the one below me was empty as it was bought by an investor. I was very unlucky in that Six days after getting the olymoicas a new young family moved in. It is therefore so rare for me to get a proper listening session at a good volume. When I do it's sublime and I guess I appreciate it all the more. I am considering my next upgrade .....and that's a possible move to a detached house somewhere as I really miss playing my music fairly loud. A severe upgrade cost wise. So now over seventy percent of my listening is through my headphones and whilst I have grown to really enjoy this too it's not the same as that room filling sound. I feel I have a very good HP set up , but like I say it's not quite the same

Also I guess I am still not really settled with the Melco as I am missing a decent app, radio and possibly even Tidal. I never thought I would consider streaming as an option but since getting my 200 I spend well over £100 per month on albums and whilst I can afford it ........well do I really need to own all this music. The 200 has massively increased how much I listen to music. I was considering swapping to an Aurender a
few months ago and this is still in my thoughts........I do have a lot of thoughts don't I ?

The streamer board is interesting but I would still need the Melco or some other HD as I sold my NAS when the Melco was purchased.

So yes lots of options to consider and I guess I am very keen to try Tidal although the sound quality I got last time would need to have improved considerably as I found it thin and lacking the full sound of my Melco set up.