Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New user: A bit lost with Pro versioning
Agreeing with the two above here; you do 'need' the extra power. It's surprising how much better it sounds at lower volumes.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
stef,

It might also be a function of your speakers; some are easier loads than others. Buying a used/ demo D120 and doing the upgrade is worth considering, but at the same time, I personally feel even the D120 is an amazing amp. There is a lot more sexy competition at the upper end of the budget spectrum; At the D120/ 130Pro level, the Devialet is, to me, a knock out. No doubt you've read the Jeff Fritz review of about a year ago.

I think going to the Pro line is probably logical, just to be as current as you can. That said, some here are finding that they actually prefer the 'plain' Expert series to the Pro sound. I wish I knew what the difference really was. You will always get the software for free, but eventually they will be releasing new software that would only apply to the hardware in the Pro line; just like computers and smart phones.

I would likely go to the D130 Pro myself if buying new today. Just my personal approach to these things.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
My first post here, so hello! I've reading but until now,not had anything to offer.

Can I suggest you think hard about getting a second hand 120 and then going for the 220 upgrade. I got my Expert 120 secondhand in October for £2100. The previous owner did not give me the original power cord, just a kettle lead. The box and protective films were in rubbish condition. Hense the price I managed to get it knocked down to. 

I have just had the 220 Pro upgrade done. Total outlay, £5090. I understand a new 220 Pro is about £7000!

The extra watts are worth having. The increased headroom gives better sound resolution at low volume levels and overall the upgrade brings better transparency and detail with more tightly controlled bass. My room is just 4m x 5m. The extra watts do not swamp the room and there is plenty of volume control variation on the remote. I was really chuffed with my 120. I am ecstatic with my 220 Pro. Best sound I have ever had in 47 years pursuing this hobby.
@Greg - great tale and welcome aboard!
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(07-Dec-2016, 03:40)Greg Wrote: My first post here, so hello! I've reading but until now,not had anything to offer.

Can I suggest you think hard about getting a second hand 120 and then going for the 220 upgrade. I got my Expert 120 secondhand in October for £2100. The previous owner did not give me the original power cord, just a kettle lead. The box and protective films were in rubbish condition. Hense the price I managed to get it knocked down to. 

I have just had the 220 Pro upgrade done. Total outlay, £5090. I understand a new 220 Pro is about £7000!

The extra watts are worth having. The increased headroom gives better sound resolution at low volume levels and overall the upgrade brings better transparency and detail with more tightly controlled bass. My room is just 4m x 5m. The extra watts do not swamp the room and there is plenty of volume control variation on the remote. I was really chuffed with my 120. I am ecstatic with my 220 Pro. Best sound I have ever had in 47 years pursuing this hobby.

Eh, the original power cord is just a kettle lead.  Wink

Welcome to the forum BTW. Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
"Eh, the original power cord is just a kettle lead. Wink"

Ah, I didn't realise that. The good thing is that in addition to getting an upgraded amp for a very nice total price, I also got a brand new box and packaging, the old one being in poor condition. So in the unlikely event of selling the 220 on in the future, I now have a presentable package to offer.

Thanks for the welcome.
This is News

Smile
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
You're right of course. Probably in the wrong place, but what a great pedantic way to kill a very useful thread.
Is it dead? (There was a smiley. We're quite friendly here....)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I think it's always nice to know a bloke has a presentable package to offer. You should probably post that on Tinder though.  Tongue
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.