Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
250 with Sub and headphones?
(11-Dec-2016, 00:08)maxijazz Wrote:
(09-Dec-2016, 10:40)DelaneyB Wrote: I'm running out of connections with my 250. I have the Atohm GTSE1 speakers and I'd like to try the matching v38s sub rather than SAM to get a bit more low end since moving to a flat with a larger high ceiling lounge (the  bottom end has got lost and SAM seems to make no difference). I don't want to change the Atohms, as they are otherwise great and I don't want big floor standers in the room (or shell out ££).

Config is
Phono- Rega P3
Line 1 - CD Rega Planet
Digital - Headphone amp line out
Ethernet - Air3 Mac Mini

Is there a way to run the sub out and headphones????
Thanks
Brendan

Run sub as "Pre-amplified output mono" and buy a decent headphone DAC (Chord Hugo?), then connect it to "Digital Output (SPDIF). Despite of added cost for DAC/headphone amp I think you will benefit from headphone's sound quality improvement. 

I may just use my OPPO Headphone DAC connected to the Mac Mini directly when I want to use headphones.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

DelaneyB

Why don't you use the hi level input on the sub? I have been using REL subs for ten years with different speakers and I always get a better integration between sub and speaker through the high level inputs.
Devialet 200 - Kuzma Stabi S - Kuzma Stogi Ref - Lyra Delos - REL B2 - Epos 12.2 - Creek Evolution CD - DIY silver cables
(12-Dec-2016, 16:53)lookslikerain Wrote: DelaneyB

Why don't you use the hi level input on the sub? I have been using REL subs for ten years with different speakers and I always get a better integration between sub and speaker through the high level inputs.

Sorry, no idea what this means. New to subs.....
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

(12-Dec-2016, 23:19)DelaneyB Wrote:
(12-Dec-2016, 16:53)lookslikerain Wrote: DelaneyB

Sorry, no idea what this means. New to subs.....

I came here to suggest the same thing; REL prefers you to use the speaker output of your amplifier in parallel with your speakers. REL being a very respectable SUB company, they seem to know their stuff. You're most likely going to get a better sub from REL too.

Another tip I've read about a number of times now so there must be some truth in it; Divide the money you want to spend in half and but two subs. Apparently it gives a much better sound scape picture because a lot of the sound scape is in the lows.

Good luck!

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.