Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOtM SMS-200
Thanks for all the input folks. Since moving to the iFi ipower I have to put my plans of moving to a LPS for the SMS-200 on hold. The performance is very satisfactory, and it feels like the sound is only improving as the iFi has been settling in. I however have decided to use Ethernet isolator specifically the TP-Link MC210cs went with single mode for its higher bandwidth rate. Now I am going to try two different tests to see if i notice any sonic improvements:

Baseline: Using the AudioQuest Diamond ethernet cable straight from the Melco to the SMS-200.

1)Use the isolator between the melco player output and the sms-200 input. Use my cheap QED performance cable.
2)Use the isolator bettween the melco LAN input and my Netgear switch. As mentioned by @K4680.

Obviously the ultimate test would be to put LPS on both isolators and connect diamond ethernet on each end between the melco and sms-200. This however shall not be attempted by me as i feel there are better solutions out there which will have a better price/performance ratio.
I've used FMC's (fiber media converters) too, still do (and own four of them Tongue) but in a different way. You may find my system's topic interesting as I've touched many of the things you mention. It's a bit long since it's been up since 2014 and I change many things, often. Anyway it's here: https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=46
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(29-Mar-2017, 18:27)Antoine Wrote: I've used FMC's (fiber media converters) too, still do (and own four of them Tongue) but in a different way. You may find my system's topic interesting as I've touched many of the things you mention. It's a bit long since it's been up since 2014 and I change many things, often. Anyway it's here: https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=46

Thanks @Antoine I am sure it will be an interesting read. And I might just come back to you with a couple of questions.
Rumours have the SMS-200 Ultra costing 1200US.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

https://sotm-usa.com/collections/feature...s-200ultra

Not much info here.....

https://sotm-usa.com/
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(29-Mar-2017, 18:18)Rama Wrote: Thanks for all the input folks. Since moving to the iFi ipower I have to put my plans of moving to a LPS for the SMS-200 on hold. The performance is very satisfactory, and it feels like the sound is only improving as the iFi has been settling in. I however have decided to use Ethernet isolator specifically the TP-Link MC210cs went with single mode for its higher bandwidth rate. Now I am going to try two different tests to see if i notice any sonic improvements:

Baseline: Using the AudioQuest Diamond ethernet cable straight from the Melco to the SMS-200.

1)Use the isolator between the melco player output and the sms-200 input. Use my cheap QED performance cable.
2)Use the isolator bettween the melco LAN input and my Netgear switch. As mentioned by @K4680.

Obviously the ultimate test would be to put LPS on both isolators and connect diamond ethernet on each end between the melco and sms-200. This however shall not be attempted by me as i feel there are better solutions out there which will have a better price/performance ratio.
Ok I have played around with all the different configurations. Just not hearing that much of a difference nothing to justify the extra spend,  which is around $150. I thought that the most benefits would be derived if i put the FMC between the Melco Player output and the SOTM input. So I connected the first FMC to the Melco Player output with a AQ Cinnamon, on the second FMC I connected it to the SMS-200 via AQ Diamond. Well I was initially very impressed, but then after switching back and forth i realized that there was not much of a difference. Actually to be honest the direct connection from Melco to SMS-200 sounded better. 

I think initially I was listening very critically and was noticing different layers within the music that I had not noticed before. I had to take a step back and relax and then listen again to the music, it is at this point that I realized that the direct connection was the best. Our brain is funny and plays these tricks on us without us even realizing. When you install new equipment you sit there in your seat and pay very close attention and by magic everything sounds better.

When the difference is negligible our brain compensates, saying come on it has to be better I just spent all that money, and commands you to pay more attention. Of course at this point you realize this is the best thing in the world.  So my conclusion is that its cool to have FMC's in your setup but don't expect any gains if you are using a Melco. However a point to note is that I did not hear any degradation in the sound, it sounded fantastic with the FMC so that is definitely a good thing.
I put a sMS-200 into my system last night. I already had the battery pack so it seemed like a good way to go.

I'm rather impressed with build quality. Really impressed with the sound quality.

Only issue is Native DSD isn't working with my DAC but SOTM is working with me to get support added to the image.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(06-Apr-2017, 21:57)Dr Tone Wrote: I put a sMS-200 into my system last night. I already had the battery pack so it seemed like a good way to go.

I'm rather impressed with build quality. Really impressed with the sound quality.

Only issue is Native DSD isn't working with my DAC but SOTM is working with me to get support added to the image.

Hi Dr Tone,

Sorry if I didn't follow your journey, but:
  • what DAC do you have ?
  • are you using it together with the Devialet or through another amp ?

Thanks.
Do you guys try the latest sms-200 firmware and change the DSD mode to "native" instead of DoP ?
As I feed sms-200 to Mutec MC3+ USB, just try and find the SQ of DSD replay seems improved.  See if you have the same improvement.

Version : V0.3.6
  - Date : 10-04-2017
  - Update Roonready to 1.1.16
  - Update NAA to 3.5.0
  - Add NAA period time option
  - Add DACs to native DSD: TEAC UD-501/UD-503/NT-503, OPPO Sonica, ENCORE mDSD, Denafrips DAC, Singxer F-1 converter board, HDTA Serenade DSD, Mutec MC3+ USB

By the way, this firmware and setting also enable me to playback DSD256 from Roon all the way to mutec, and let mutec do the DSD256 to PCM conversion.
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
A review of the sMS-200

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/re...view-r648/

I found this to be a particularly interesting review. However, I could not help myself thinking if the author was in anyway influenced by the fact that rival Sonore pay for a sponsored section on Computer Audiophile's website? We will never know for sure!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12