Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOtM SMS-200
https://sotm-usa.com/products/sms-200ultra Is for sale now with a 10% discount
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
(12-May-2017, 07:29)jfp Wrote: https://sotm-usa.com/products/sms-200ultra Is for sale now with a 10% discount

Great, any upgrade offer for existing sms-200 user available yet ?
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
(10-May-2017, 03:22)mdconnelly Wrote:
(10-May-2017, 00:24)Kwan Wrote: On my system with NUC as Roon server,Chord DAVE,devialet,i switch from mR to ifi iUSB3 and things improved,then change to sms-200 and further imoroved。
So i would rate sms-200 much higher then mR,which is diff from theCA review。
Furthermore,i found the tonal signal of mR is thin / lightest among the 3 above,so their comment saying mR is more like vinyl surprise me。

Have you had a chance to compare either with AIR 3.0.4?   Curious to know your thoughts.

Yes I have, compare with and without mutec in the train too.

AIR gives a relax sound very enjoyable for music, sms-200 USB out to Devialet sound little more focus and details, which I slightly more prefer. But I won't surprise if anyone pick AIR here.

Adding mutec after sms-200, image is more vivid, which is the winner here now. But this combo can't send DSD to Devialet without convert to PCM, where I find the MAT DSD Engine sounds slightly better. So we can't get best of both world here.
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
Hello,

Can someone explain to me which one of the sMS-200 makes more sense to buy?
The basic, the ultra or the tx-USBultra? I would have imagined that the ULTRA would have included the USB enhancement that are in the tx but it doesn't seem to be the case.
So do the ultra and the tx justify the extra cost? And which one of the 2 should have the better quality?

thanks

Marco

P.S. this is not for the Devialet BTW, for that I am pretty happy with AIR
(01-Jun-2017, 03:26)marcor Wrote: Hello,

The basic, the ultra or the tx-USBultra?  I would have imagined that the ULTRA would have included the USB enhancement that are in the tx but it doesn't seem to be the case.
So do the ultra and the tx justify the extra cost? And which one of the 2 should have the better quality?

thanks

Marco

Well I assume you know that sms 200 and 200 Ultra are ethernet renders (ethernet to USB) and tx-usb Ultra is usb to usb so you cant really compare them.

You could use sms 200 and tx-usb Ultra in series and compare that to a sms 200 Ultra.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(01-Jun-2017, 05:31)octaviars Wrote:
(01-Jun-2017, 03:26)marcor Wrote: Hello,

The basic, the ultra or the tx-USBultra?  I would have imagined that the ULTRA would have included the USB enhancement that are in the tx but it doesn't seem to be the case.

thanks

Marco

Well I assume you know that sms 200 and 200 Ultra are ethernet renders (ethernet to USB) and tx-usb Ultra is usb to usb so you cant really compare them.

You could use sms 200 and tx-usb Ultra in series and compare that to a sms 200 Ultra.

Thanks Octaviars,

I totally misread the description of the tx-usb.  I got caught up in the details of the USB and I completely missed that the input is not an Ethernet cable.
So the choice is really between the 200 and the 200-ultra. I imagine soon the review for the 200-Ultra will come in and we will know if the upgraded clock really justify the difference in cost

thanks again

Marco
SOtM has issued a press release announcing both the sMS-200 Ultra and an upgrade scheme for current sMS-200 owners to Ultra specs.

$900 to upgrade and the upgrade includedes a "free" master clock input. The original sMS-200 costs $450.

The new sMS-200 Ultra will cost $1200, master clock input an additional $200. So it's more than a 2.5x price increase compared to non-ultra.

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english...-200ultra/

Crux Audio (USA/Australia importer) has some other options on their site too including a modified switch with better voltage regulators, external clock input to connect an additional clock output from an Ultra device containing the sclk-ex board and some other tweaks.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
If I am not wrong with my calculation, it is cheaper to update an sMS-200 (1.350,-) than going for the new Ultra (1.400,-)?! Funny.
I think it's fair enough to give a discount along with a free clock integration for the existing users rewarding their loyalty

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
No disagreement ;-)

But unusual that an upgrade is cheaper all together than buying the new product.