Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
D200 Mod 2.0.1
Planning to take a few closeup pics
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
I'm strained to hear about your conclusion...hope you don't damage anything and won't tear me appart  Angel

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
I don't have the stomac for this, but I am highly impressed and intrigued by your efforts.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(16-Dec-2016, 11:08)kerkhoffd Wrote: I don't have the stomac for this, but I am highly impressed and intrigued by your efforts.

It's only by the first time...second time is fluffy. Don't think about the treasure...it's just metall, silicon an' plastics  Big Grin
Let someone else do it if you get wet hands with this or hear it first to get heart.

gui
berlin
(11-Dec-2016, 17:57)thumb5 Wrote:
(11-Dec-2016, 14:15)yabaVR Wrote: The 2x10 pin connector is 2x4 (+ signal left), 2x4 (+ signal right) and 2x2 (signal ground).

Hmmm.  Considering that the 2x2 poles of the ground connector presumably have to carry the return current from all 2x8 poles of the left and right speakers outputs I wonder whether that in itself might have some bearing on the improved performance in dual-mono mode, where the relatively higher-resistance ground path won't be used.  (Seems a bit far fetched but in the spirit of the thread I'm trying to be open-minded...)

Yeah, you're right. Am I vicious when saying they did not design it this way by chance  Angel ? Just so clever to keep gaps big enough between the models.

gui
berlin
    Just curious why some of the actual solder connections appear to be blacked out/redacted in your modification picture? Makes potential interest in duplication difficult not knowing/understanding exactly what's under the black-out and/or why its there.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(21-Dec-2016, 16:46)Manoet Wrote: Just curious why some of the actual solder connections appear to be blacked out/redacted in your modification picture? Makes potential interest in duplication difficult not knowing/understanding exactly what's under the black-out and/or why its there.

Big Grin  Sorry but that's actually my first mod (my spotting) which I want to keep secret for now to not confuse/divert anybody who want's to do the ex-riserboard mod (it is contrary to mainstream thinking). It's a special one by me and as it can not be done by anybody else I just blacked it out. Nothing to bother about. The ex-riserboard mod will do anyway.

Else...I wanted to give an update on the 'burn in' of the mod. In short...it sounds fantastic (at least in my system). Important is you have to wait for approx a week (burn in 24/7) to judge over the benefit or decline of the mod for you. The first hours/days it sounds 'faster, more precise, more live, more intense'...but also 'a bit edged, less micro details, more raw/hard, too straight forward'.
But as burning in progresses the sound gets 'finer, very airy, still more precise, 'holographic' 3D mapping, more stage depth to front and back of speakers, very intense, no artificial edges any more but nice natural edges of instruments' simply all you ever wanted if you're looking for the 'real thing'. It gets you very near to the music and it sounds very natural. Dynamics are amazing as Devialet are already fast now impulses are 'exploding'...ok I've to slow down here...I just like what I hear  Big Grin  

I find it quiet amazing how much information is latend in the bits/bytes of a CD/AudioFile even if it's 'only' 16/44.1
I can imagine there is still more to bring up...it's thrilling.

gui
berlin
Thank you for the update and not taking offense at my asking! Additionally I'm curious since you've mentioned warranty is easily re-established by reinstalling original/OEM parts? Reason I ask is this obviously differs dramatically from machine-soldered circuit boards/risers etc and I'm unsure of exactly how casual/cavalier Devialet is regarding inspection of such things during conversion/warranty work... especially if it JUMPS out at them! Thanks for your advice on this.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(21-Dec-2016, 18:31)Manoet Wrote: Thank you for the update and not taking offense at my asking! Additionally I'm curious since you've mentioned warranty is easily re-established by reinstalling original/OEM parts? Reason I ask is this obviously differs dramatically from machine-soldered circuit boards/risers etc and I'm unsure of exactly how casual/cavalier Devialet is regarding inspection of such things during conversion/warranty work... especially if it JUMPS out at them! Thanks for your advice on this.

Hi Manoet,
don't take my picture as a template when you're looking at the long pin connector for the binding posts. I've described in the text how to do this mod and reverse it to original if needed (e.g. sending the D back to Devialet). It's just the 3(4) soldering joints (at the 2×10 socket) one has to desolder, put back the riserboard and original binding posts and Devialet will never know. But I admit you have to be good/precise in soldering these 3(4) small joints at the 2×10 connector socket. Don't burn the socket while soldering.

gui

EDIT:
I shut off the D200 over night to listen to it performing out of the cold...and I hear that the sound is staying right there where it got over the last 13 days while it was running 24/7.
This are good news for everybody experiencing that their D is sounding better the more days it is continually switched on. The pin connectors seem to 'work' as heat/potential charges are spreaded and even out continually insided the D thus resulting in sound changing over days.
berlin
Finally I can report the results of this tweak which I completed last Friday.
Main thing is getting the riser board out. There are 2 ways:

remove the whole cpu which I would not dare to do.
cut the riser board just next to the xlr socket (this is not reverseable!)

I chose 2. The riserboard is quite tough and I used a 40 cm long sawing blade from a metal saw. This was quite an effort.

I let the dev run at low volume for 12 hours a days for 5 days. After 12 hours I had a first listen. Not good, sound was bit hard and edgy.
Gave the dev another 50 hours and had a listen this morning and had a smile on my face. The clarity and transparency improved probably because some kind of distortions were removed by the tweak. Soundstage seems more 3d and dynamics have a higher jump factor which I love.

Can't comment on the bass cause my dev is only driving the horns of my Duos. I think sound will improve with more burn in but I'm already quite happy with the result.

Anyone who is interested to do this tweak can contact with any questions they may have: mikebier1@yahoo.com. I also took some close up pics which I send in full resolution to anyone interested.

Michael

Ps.
Forgot to mention that I used teflon isolated solid core silver wire and wbt silver solder for the tweak.
Also replaced the binding post with nexgen ones I still had.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner