Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting cable from Master to Companion
Dear Devialet 400/800 owners,

I have tried with Devialet to find out what do they really recomend to connect master amp to companion amp. On Devialet's own website they recomend a home made cable RCA-XLR se on the left side in the webside on https://help.devialet.com/entries/234298...i-room-etc-

Devialet says on the website that they recomend to connect the amps with the described RCA-XLR, due to better HD transmission. My local cablemaker had trouble understanding this recomendation, due to 75ohm on the RCA side and 110ohm on the XLR side, anyway we made a cable as Devialet recomended.

I am quit satisfied with the soud picture today, but when I read different user treads on the net, I'we noticed than almost all of you connect with an RCA-RCA cable.

I have also got information that Devialet from may month this year, default encloses a Crystal Cable RCA-RCA to connect the Master- Companion link.

So my questions is as follow:

1. What connection type (RCA-RCA or XLR-RCA) do you connect your amp with today?

2. What cable brand/ manufacturer are you using?

Looking forward to hear from all of youSmile
Devialet 1000 Pro, Black Magic DIG-IT MKII RCA-XLR link- Wilson Audio Sophia 3, IsoAcoustic GAIA 1- Roon Nucleus Plus, inboard 8TB SSD, Sbooster power supply- Synergistic Research Atmosphere Devialet Spec AC, Tesla T3 & Hologram D - Synergistic Research PowerCell 10 - Chord English switch, Wireworld Starlight TWINAX CAT 8 - Synergistic Research Tesla Apex speaker cables
                                                                                                                                 Oslo - Norway
(22-Oct-2014, 07:03)Toca Wrote: Dear Devialet 400/800 owners,

I have tried with Devialet to find out what do they really recomend to connect master amp to companion amp. On Devialet's own website they recomend a home made cable RCA-XLR se on the left side in the webside on https://help.devialet.com/entries/234298...i-room-etc-

Devialet says on the website that they recomend to connect the amps with the described RCA-XLR, due to better HD transmission. My local cablemaker had trouble understanding this recomendation, due to 75ohm on the RCA side and 110ohm on the XLR side, anyway we made a cable as Devialet recomended.

I am quit satisfied with the soud picture today, but when I read different user treads on the net, I'we noticed than almost all of you connect with an RCA-RCA cable.

I have also got information that Devialet from may month this year, default encloses a Crystal Cable RCA-RCA to connect the Master- Companion link.

So my questions is as follow:

1. What connection type (RCA-RCA or XLR-RCA) do you connect your amp with today?

2. What cable brand/ manufacturer are you using?

Looking forward to hear from all of youSmile

Hi,

I think the info about the xlr-rca is a bit outdated which plenty of info are on the homepage. Devialet didn't update/change the info like in the link you show as the companion still is called the slave but this is not the only example. I do believe that some on this forum had good results with the xlr-rca (as this was the original way of connect the companion). Note that in the link you enclosed you need to use a xlr-rca to link a tri amp setup.
For me it is a matter of using a quality 75 ohm cable and most important the right connector plugs xlr or rca. As the xlr is 110 ohm I do not either understand Devialets recommendation with exception of the need to use the xlr for linking units. I asked Devialet at several times but they have been avoiding the subject with nonsense comments. The last time I was told that the rca-rca was the cable to go for and that the units soft and hardware would take care of the impedance issues that may arise from cable/connectors. I don't think so as the below acceptable performance of their supplied Crystal cable is proof enough.
I don't use the Crystal due to the above as it seem to mess up the sound picture (crap latency between units if I use Devialet own word).
I use a 'home' made (commercial 75 ohm bulk cable) with Silver Bullet plugs that totally kicks the butt of the supplied Crystal. I did several 100 cables myself through the years so I built up a good soldering skill, having said that if you plan to get a diy cable make sure it is properly soldered.
The brand I use for 75 ohm is a silver coaxial cable from VHaudio (about 100 USD/meter). Plugs are either Silver Bullets or WBT silver RCA's.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Hi Mike,

That is what I suspected. This means I have ordered and bought a special RCA-XLR connection cable for 600 US$, for no use as I understand now, and that cable is not possible to sell again.

What´s making this story even worse, is after my cable manufacturer was checking Devialet´s webpages, he got really unsure about this whole cable project, that resulted in a mail directly to Mr. Thierry Massoubre in Devialet in March month this year, where he confirmed that this was the best way to connect the amps.

So to conclude this, Devialet still recommend this special RCA-XLR cable on their support page, but they want confirm it any more when you ask them today. It also underline the matter above, when Devialet chooses to enclose a Crystal Cable RCA - RCA cable to new users today. I really hope that they would take out this recommendation on their support pages ASAPAngryAngryAngrySad
Devialet 1000 Pro, Black Magic DIG-IT MKII RCA-XLR link- Wilson Audio Sophia 3, IsoAcoustic GAIA 1- Roon Nucleus Plus, inboard 8TB SSD, Sbooster power supply- Synergistic Research Atmosphere Devialet Spec AC, Tesla T3 & Hologram D - Synergistic Research PowerCell 10 - Chord English switch, Wireworld Starlight TWINAX CAT 8 - Synergistic Research Tesla Apex speaker cables
                                                                                                                                 Oslo - Norway
In France, we have some well-known Devialet owners who tested some links, and the best is the rca/xlr from Audioprana.
They tested both version of the Audioprana digital cable : rca/rca vs rca/xlr, and this last is the best one...
(22-Oct-2014, 15:01)Toca Wrote: Hi Mike,

That is what I suspected. This means I have ordered and bought a special RCA-XLR connection cable for 600 US$, for no use as I understand now, and that cable is not possible to sell again.

What´s making this story even worse, is after my cable manufacturer was checking Devialet´s webpages, he got really unsure about this whole cable project, that resulted in a mail directly to Mr. Thierry Massoubre in Devialet in March month this year, where he confirmed that this was the best way to connect the amps.

So to conclude this, Devialet still recommend this special RCA-XLR cable on their support page, but they want confirm it any more when you ask them today. It also underline the matter above, when Devialet chooses to enclose a Crystal Cable RCA - RCA cable to new users today. I really hope that they would take out this recommendation on their support pages ASAPAngryAngryAngrySad

Hi,

I share your confusion and irritation. But If you read the forum you will see that users have very good effect with the xlr-rca as well as rca-rca so don't think the xlr-rca is wasted money. The main importance is to have a high quality cable and plugs, xlr or rca. I have a feeling that Devialet chose the xlr-rca due to that they at the current moment found xlr plugs to be of higher quality. Now the seem to be content with rca-rca even if the tri amp or more is in need of xlr-rca to be linked.
For me the only real solution would be to have xlr-xlr (110 ohm) between master and companion but according to Devialet this linking is not possible on the companion side, I don't know why and Devialet didn't come up with an explanation.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK