Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPDIF Crystal Cable for D400
(20-Jun-2021, 00:14)ray1234 Wrote:
(06-Apr-2021, 09:54)hardcore Wrote: On the RCA(M)-XLR(M) adapter, I find that disconnecting / blocking Pin 1 (the shield ground pin), gives a more natural, larger sound. This would leave the XLR cable shield grounded only at the receiving (Companion) end.

How do you disconnect the Pin 1? you open the connector and solder out the Pin 1 yourself?

That's very interesting finding, I am going to try that in a few weeks time when I go back home. I am now using a WEL Signature AES from a Denafrips DDC feeding into the AES of my D400 as source, and using a Coffee digital RCA as the digital connect via a RCA-XLR convertor.

I have already ordered a Cardas XLR-RCA convertor, so I can try and swap using the Coffee as source and WEL Signature as digital connect and see which is better. I used to use the WEL Signature on the source as I have the concept that the source should matter the most and the WEL Signature should be a few steps above the Coffee.

I ordered a DIY RCA(M)-XLR(M) converter and cut the Pin 1 connector on that. I don't think you can do this with Cardas Clear adapters as they use continuous solid core connectors, and you wouldn't want to cut those. For Cardas Clear I think you can specify if you want the Pin 1 connected or not.

I bought these DIY RCA(M)-XLR(M) adapters at random but am glad they are well built. I'll try to upload some pictures. It was actually quite easy to do.

Amazon.com: KK Product HO-A RCA Male to 3pin XLR Male Adapter, XLR to RCA Converter Gender Changer Audio Coupler Connector. HO-A (2 Pack): Home Audio & Theater

You have to cut away the shrink wrap, then everything else can be unscrewed. Unscrew the RCA sleeve first, then unscrew the XLR cap, then you can remove the C-shaped spacer, then you can remove the XLR metal barrel, then you can access the XLR pins and cut Pin 1. Reverse the procedure to reassemble it.

[Image: 20210620-203821.jpg]

[Image: 20210620-204037.jpg]

[Image: 20210620-204208.jpg]
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
Hi - I am using a digital interconnect with Mogami 3080 cable (110ohm), neutrik XLR and neutrik RCA connectors. The cable is 2.5m and works flawlessly up to 192/24. It is wired according to the Devialet schema. Cost £30.
To bring an old topic back to live, I have been using an Audioquest WEL Signature XLR cable (with RCA to XLR convertor on one end) as the link between the two D200, and it sounds wonderful. I have also tried Audioquest Coffee SPDIF with RCA to XLR on the other end, and it isn't as good.

My result is as follows :

Audioquest WEL XLR > Audioquest Coffee SPDIF > original Crystal SPDIF

The main difference is the size of the soundstage, it just gets much much bigger with better cables.

My other trick is to use a DDC, I used Gustard U18, a very cheap DDC but with very good results in D400. Again the soundstage is a lot larger with DDC compared to direct digital in the D400.

The original Crystal SPDIF cable is not that bad though, it's vocals are very attractive sounding. I am using the Crystal SPDIF as the link from DDC to D400, its performance in vocals are better than both Audioquest Coffee and Audioquest WEL Signature!
(30-Jun-2022, 12:58)Fozzy Wrote: Hi - I am using a digital interconnect with Mogami 3080 cable (110ohm), neutrik XLR and neutrik RCA connectors.  The cable is 2.5m and works flawlessly up to 192/24.  It is wired according to the Devialet schema.  Cost £30.

Hi Fozzy,

I also use Mogami 3080 with Neutrik gold RCA connectors, but as an analogue interconnect between a tape recorder and my D440 Pro. It works great!

I could have a digital interconnect made in alternative to the AQ Carbon RCA-RCA that came with the 440, which I still use. My questions: You do not use the Neutrik Digital Impedance Transformer Adapter to go from 75 Ohm to 110 Ohm (or viceversa)? Second: could you please explain what the "Devialet schema" is?

Thank you!
Devialet 440 Pro C.I., Innuos Zen Mk3, Origin Live Calypso with Illustrious arm and Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge, KEF Reference 3, Vertere speaker cables and interconnects, 2 Nanotech 309 power cables for the 440, GigaWatt power strip and cables
(27-Sep-2022, 03:43)ray1234 Wrote: To bring an old topic back to live, I have been using an Audioquest WEL Signature XLR cable (with RCA to XLR convertor on one end) as the link between the two D200, and it sounds wonderful. I have also tried Audioquest Coffee SPDIF with RCA to XLR on the other end, and it isn't as good.

The main difference is the size of the soundstage, it just gets much much bigger with better cables.

My other trick is to use a DDC, I used Gustard U18, a very cheap DDC but with very good results in D400. Again the soundstage is a lot larger with DDC compared to direct digital in the D400.

The original Crystal SPDIF cable is not that bad though, it's vocals are very attractive sounding. I am using the Crystal SPDIF as the link from DDC to D400, its performance in vocals are better than both Audioquest Coffee and Audioquest WEL Signature!

You might want to try ground lifting the XLR input on the Companion with a cheap adapter (and also on the Master if you use the XLR input). If it works for you, you might like the change.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-XLR-AES-...xperiments
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(12-Oct-2022, 13:56)hardcore Wrote:
(27-Sep-2022, 03:43)ray1234 Wrote: To bring an old topic back to live, I have been using an Audioquest WEL Signature XLR cable (with RCA to XLR convertor on one end) as the link between the two D200, and it sounds wonderful. I have also tried Audioquest Coffee SPDIF with RCA to XLR on the other end, and it isn't as good.

You might want to try ground lifting the XLR input on the Companion with a cheap adapter (and also on the Master if you use the XLR input). If it works for you, you might like the change.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-XLR-AES-...xperiments

That is exactly what I am going to try next ..... I can't buy that XLR adapter though, so I think I will just buy an XLR to XLR adaptor and cut the pin 1.
Following the advice given by many on this thread, I got the Mogami 3080 with Neutrik Gold RCA for the Master side and Neutrik Gold XLR on the other to connect to the AES/EBI input on the Companion. After some trial and error I managed to get the settings right to make it work. Pin 1 is still connected, but I will disconnect it later.

One question: Does this digital cable need to be run in as any other cable? In the meantime, will the right channel (= the Companion) sound a bit different?

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice!
Devialet 440 Pro C.I., Innuos Zen Mk3, Origin Live Calypso with Illustrious arm and Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge, KEF Reference 3, Vertere speaker cables and interconnects, 2 Nanotech 309 power cables for the 440, GigaWatt power strip and cables
(04-Dec-2022, 17:11)Digitalhead Wrote: Following the advice given by many on this thread, I got the Mogami 3080 with Neutrik Gold RCA for the Master side and Neutrik Gold XLR on the other to connect to the AES/EBI input on the Companion. After some trial and error I managed to get the settings right to make it work. Pin 1 is still connected, but I will disconnect it later.

One question: Does this digital cable need to be run in as any other cable? In the meantime, will the right channel (= the Companion) sound a bit different?

1) Digital Cable does need run-in
2) Indicated by the fact that the whole system's sound will be different when you change the connection cable, it shows the connection cable actually affects the whole system's sound, not just the right channel.
(05-Dec-2022, 08:20)ray1234 Wrote:
(04-Dec-2022, 17:11)Digitalhead Wrote: Following the advice given by many on this thread, I got the Mogami 3080 with Neutrik Gold RCA for the Master side and Neutrik Gold XLR on the other to connect to the AES/EBI input on the Companion. After some trial and error I managed to get the settings right to make it work. Pin 1 is still connected, but I will disconnect it later.

1) Digital Cable does need run-in
2) Indicated by the fact that the whole system's sound will be different when you change the connection cable, it shows the connection cable actually affects the whole system's sound, not just the right channel.

Thanks!