Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D440 Companion Link failure
I just received my upgraded D440 Pro few days ago and tried last night.  I installed it and it was working as of last night.

But today when I turn it on, the companion would not link

I tried unplugging and reloading the config file with same result

The companion boots up, loads "S1 config", but would not do the ADH and SAM load

It gives me the status page with:  "Companion Mode:ON, INPUT:RS232;  "Link Status:NONE"

I tried everything, including:
- Changing the SPDIF cable between the Master and the Companion
- disabling the link cable
- Boot up both machines with no SD card and try again
- Unplugging and replugging in both units repeatedly
- Reformat and use a different SD card

I know the physical connection is correct, because it was working fine yesterday.

Please is there anything else I should try before declaring it dead?
(12-Dec-2016, 17:31)agentsmith Wrote: I just received my upgraded D440 Pro few days ago and tried last night.  I installed it and it was working as of last night.

But today when I turn it on, the companion would not link

I tried unplugging and reloading the config file with same result

The companion boots up, loads "S1 config", but would not do the ADH and SAM load

It gives me the status page with:  "Companion Mode:ON, INPUT:RS232;  "Link Status:NONE"

I tried everything, including:
- Changing the SPDIF cable between the Master and the Companion
- disabling the link cable
- Boot up both machines with no SD card and try again
- Unplugging and replugging in both units repeatedly
- Reformat and use a different SD card

I know the physical connection is correct, because it was working fine yesterday.

Please is there anything else I should try before declaring it dead?
The times this has happened to me during setup it has been one of the two cables not seated correctly, or firmware versions being different. Now I don't see how the firmware could change by itself, but a cable that wasn't 100% correct could come undone.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
It happened to me once when I just removed the SD card after copying the config file on it, rather than properly eject it. Took me quite a while to realize this.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
Thanks I tried restating the cable and even a different link cable with same results

I also tried regenerating as card and even a different SD card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

Do you have a different digital cable you can try to connect the two units?

Also do you have a trigger cable connected as well? If yes you might wish to try disabling this in the configuration and remove it from your setup temporarily to see if things work.

p.s. If you have tried these two steps, my apologies, I see you also changed SPDIF cables recently.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(13-Dec-2016, 01:43)baddog Wrote: Do you have a different digital cable you can try to connect the two units?

Also do you have a trigger cable connected as well? If yes you might wish to try disabling this in the configuration and remove it from your setup temporarily to see if things work.

p.s. If you have tried these two steps, my apologies, I see you also changed SPDIF cables recently.

Thanks baddog, last thing you need to do is to apologize for trying to help!

I did try to replace the RS232 link cable as well as the SPDIF cable

I also tried no link cable but neglected to change the configuration files in my SD card.  Would that have made a difference?

In any case I have brought the companion to work this morning and will bring it to my dealer for debugging this afternoon.

thanks again.
Ah, your dealer is close enough you can debug with another Devialet. Let us know how you fair. Hopefully it is not a hardware failure.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(13-Dec-2016, 02:46)baddog Wrote: Ah, your dealer is close enough you can debug with another Devialet. Let us know how you fair. Hopefully it is not a hardware failure.

Thanks.  I am lucky to be in Hong Kong with a very active and friendly supplier.  Also AP HQ for Devialet is in the same city.
Dealer hooked up my companion to their master and it worked right away.  They tried different cables and all worked out OK.
Not sure what the problem is.  The only thing to do is to bring it home and try again.
I don't know if you are a mac user? I found that config files downloaded using Safari would only intermittently save the changes I had made. Using a different browser - Firefox - solved a similar problem to yours.
Sid