Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro 220 or D400
OK I am considering the upgrade to 220 Pro. However surely the move to a D400 makes more sense.
Pro 220 retails at 7K and I think the D400 was about 10K, yet the cost to move up to either option could be very similar. Also the fact that I would not have to let my 200 got for a few weeks.

I know it is not that simple, but I will not get a chance to listen to either.

Has anyone listened to both and have an opinion.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Hey Womaz have had 400 and still now 220. My opinion and these of my wife is that the 220 match the 400 and we have difficult speakers - Gauder Akustik Cassiano MK ll

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Not an easy answer Womaz. I have compared the 200, 220 Pro and 400 Side by Side and must disagree with Elztalbiker. The Pro and Expert ranges differ in more than one thing. I found the 220 Pro beat the 200, but it is also a matter of taste which one you prefer.

When comparing double mono to a single Pro, for me the 400 won. More power ofcourse, but also more refinement, more natural highs and neutral amp as far as I am concerned. Also the extra grip and tonal richness of the 400 made me decide to upgrade to 400 instead of going 220 Pro. The 400 sounded so much more effortless with my speakers (Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus) that it was an easy choice. I guess it depends a lot on which speakers you have and your own preferences about music reproduction. Speakers that are a bit bright might match better with the Pro series.

A 400 sold for €13.000 in Europe btw. Or €14.000 when one bought 2 separate 200's.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
I would go Pro first. Then you'll have the option to upgrade for more power if you want. And if the streamer board is any good, you can sell your Melco to help finance the upgrade.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Womaz, I think I'd agree with Pim's logic in general. But - and it could be a big but - I remember you did have quite a long discussion a while back about hearing an overly bright/sibilant/forward sound from your D200 with the PMC speakers. Has that completely gone since you moved to the Olympica 2s? If so, all well and good. If not, I'd be wary of going to a Pro because it will not be kind to an already forward-sounding system. From a sound quality point of view, leaving logic and economics aside, moving to a 400 would be a "safe bet": I'd say it would give you "more of the same". On the other hand the Pro would also be more, but different and -- as you've seen -- not to everyone's taste.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
OK, all clear then, some state the 400 is best, others the 220.

So let's ask a question. Could you advise what you like in your current system, is there anything you don't like, think is lacking, what sort of improvements do you think you might enjoy?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Some great replies guys as usual.
My gut feeling still says D400 is the logical way to go, but I do like to use this forum to sound out my ideas.
One suggestion here was to go Pro 220 first and then I may be able to further upgrade to a 440 Pro, but this would really not be an option as I do intend this to be my final purchase ( stop laughing you lot Big Grin ). As for trusting Devialet with the streamer board, well.....the less I say about that the better Big Grin Oh and as for getting rid of the Melco, why would I do that when they are about to release a stonker of an app Big Grin

The sarcasm is in flow tonight Big Grin

The brightness I had I believe came about when the Melco was introduced, but I think my room was primarily to blame. I have since bought a new huge rug, removed the plastic coffee table and I have two acoustic panels up on the wall facing the hifi. All of this tamed the room considerably. I do still get a little brightness and yes after reading a few posts on here this may be an issue with the Pro upgrade.

What do I love about my current sound. The bass, it is awesome, and it was the introduction of the 200 that gave me this The Melco then improved it further still over AIR from what I recall. I love the sweet treble too, acoustic guitar just sounds awesome and real. This improvement came about with the Olympicas.

So yes more of the same please. What did the D400 retail for here in the UK. OAC have one for 6k second hand...I think it could even be a forum members old kit. 6K is tempting just to go for it, but I would have to P/E mine and that may not be possible with buying SH gear.
I will do my usual and ponder I would imagine, but the D400 seems logical to me.

I seem to recall a buggy configurator for the D400 ? I also use headphones a lot now and have configured my pre outs to take my headphone amp so I presume this would be similar.?

Again thanks for the posts.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(14-Dec-2016, 00:41)Womaz Wrote: Some great replies guys as usual.
My gut feeling still says D400 is the logical way to go, but I do like to use this forum to sound out my ideas.
One suggestion here was to go Pro 220 first and then I may be able to further upgrade to a 440 Pro, but this would really not be an option as I do intend this to be my final purchase ( stop laughing you lot  Big Grin ). As for trusting Devialet with the streamer board, well.....the less I say about that the better  Big Grin Oh and as for getting rid of the Melco, why would I do that when they are about to release a stonker of an app  Big Grin  

The sarcasm is in flow tonight Big Grin

The brightness I had I believe came about when the Melco was introduced, but I think my room was primarily to blame. I have since bought a new huge rug, removed the plastic coffee table and I have two acoustic panels up on the wall facing the hifi. All of this tamed the room considerably. I do still get a little brightness and yes after reading a few posts on here this may be an issue with the Pro upgrade.

What do I love about my current sound. The bass, it is awesome, and it was the introduction of the 200 that gave me this The Melco then improved it further still over AIR from what I recall. I love the sweet treble too, acoustic guitar just sounds awesome and real. This improvement came about with the Olympicas.

So yes more of the same please. What did the D400 retail for here in the UK. OAC have one for 6k second hand...I think it could even be a forum members old kit. 6K is tempting just to go for it, but I would have to P/E mine and that may not be possible with buying SH gear.
I will do my usual and ponder I would imagine, but the D400 seems logical to me.

I seem to recall a buggy configurator for the D400 ? I also use headphones a lot now and have configured my pre outs to take my headphone amp so I presume this would be similar.?

Again thanks for the posts.

I used the RCA cord between my monos and I had to configure one port on each as outputs to my little stereo in the garage. I assume the same will count for headphones.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(14-Dec-2016, 00:41)Womaz Wrote: Some great replies guys as usual.
One suggestion here was to go Pro 220 first and then I may be able to further upgrade to a 440 Pro, but this would really not be an option as I do intend this to be my final purchase ( stop laughing you lot  Big Grin ). As for trusting Devialet with the streamer board, well.....the less I say about that the better  Big Grin Oh and as for getting rid of the Melco, why would I do that when they are about to release a stonker of an app  Big Grin  
Womaz
Even tough I do love the 400>440Pro upgrade. If I was in your shoes I would seriously look at the used
D400 at OAC if they are willing to take your D200 as trade in.
Then later when you are in a financial position upgrade to the 440PRO, I like you I have said this is my last amp upgrade  
but I have done it 6 times in a row in the last 7 years. Angel
Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

[/quote]

I used the RCA cord between my monos and I had to configure one port on each as outputs to my little stereo in the garage. I assume the same will count for headphones.
[/quote]

That would seem logical, thank you