Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite albums of 2016
Rod Modell ‎– Mediterranea (discogs link)

[Image: a2187899179_10.jpg]

A beautiful ambient piece that will make your Devialet shine like a diamond. Breathtaking...

buy cd or download on Bandcamp
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(22-Dec-2016, 03:08)Axel Wrote: Melody Gardot-The Currency Of Man.

Axel: a bit OT in a thread like this. Supposed to be about albums one likes...

I bought The Currency Of Man when it came out (actually before as I pre-ordered). I had high hopes after simply loving all her previous releases. I guess the music on The Currency Of Man is good, but the album is probably produced to sound good on a laptop so I never listen to it. There is a massive boost around 80-100 Hz that makes it unlistenable on a good full range system. I bought the hirez version from Qobuz and I even complained to them about it as I thought it might be an error. Qobuz offered me a refund. Great people!
Is your copy of this album anything like what I describe?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(26-Dec-2016, 23:38)ogs Wrote:
(22-Dec-2016, 03:08)Axel Wrote: Melody Gardot-The Currency Of Man.

Axel: a bit OT in a thread like this. Supposed to be about albums one likes...

I bought The Currency Of Man when it came out (actually before as I pre-ordered). I had high hopes after simply loving all her previous releases. I guess the music on The Currency Of Man is good, but the album is probably produced to sound good on a laptop so I never listen to it. There is a massive boost around 80-100 Hz that makes it unlistenable on a good full range system. I bought the hirez version from Qobuz and I even complained to them about it as I thought it might be an error. Qobuz offered me a refund. Great people!
Is your copy of this album anything like what I describe?

Hi ogs,

Er, no. Nothing jumped out at me like you describe and I've listened to it a few times. I'll have another go tomorrow and get back to you.

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Hello ogs - I agree that the sound quality of the CD by absolute standards is not the best. I read somewhere that it had been deliberately engineered to sound "vintage"; not sure whether that correlates with the 80-100 Hz boost you mentioned, but it sounds plausible. There may be other things going on as well; maybe some (valve-like?) distortion has been added. For me, though, the music is easily strong enough to help me take my critical ears out of the loop and just enjoy the whole thing.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks thumb5, I guess the album is not as good sounding as her previous ones. If The Abyss was released this year I'd easily list it as my favourite. Melody Gardot is certainly one of my top five picks for artist.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Ogs, do you mean the Absence album??didnt find ABYSS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(27-Dec-2016, 17:05)samsoum Wrote: Ogs, do you mean the Absence album??didnt find ABYSS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops! Yes The Absence! I am (far) away from my music collection at the moment, but that is not a very good excuse for an error like this Angry
Devialetless!
Top Five 2016

Big Boy Bloater: Luxury Hobo
Swamp Rock, Blues and Rock. This album is  steaming and rocking. Fun. My Song of the year: „It Came Out Of The Swamp“.

My Baby: Shamanaid
Blues merges with House, Funk, Trip-Hop. Groovy. Could listen to the album ten times in a row.

DeWolff: Roux-Ga-Roux
Guitar/Singer, Drums and Hammond Organ: Led Zeppelin meets Deep Purple. Raw Psychedelic Southern Rock (?!) by three youngsters from the Netherlands.

Tony Joe White: Rain Crow
You like Southern Swamp Feeling? Here is the King.

Nick Woodland: Street Level
Feelgood Bluesrock from a master of the electric guitar.
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
Some great posts on here , although a lot of you did not stick to my guidelines :-)Of course you are all forgiven. :-)
It just shows what a wide range of musical tastes we have on this forum. I have listened to a lot of the albums posted on here and I have even ordrered the Melody Gardot album as it sounds great even on first listen, and I am a one where I have to play an album a few times to get into it.

Thanks for the posts guys
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
1. Yello - Toy
2- Temple of the Dog - 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
3. The Blues Company - Old, New, Borrowed But Blues (40th Jubilee Concert)
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack