Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold Phantom stereo perspective
I'm experiencing a bit of a floating stereo perspective with the Gold Phantom's. The placement is exactly the same as the Silver's I had. I've done a lot of adjustments and it's better but not perfect. The stereo perspective of the Silver's was excellent. The Norwegian HiFi magazine Lyd og Bilde remarks the same in their recent review. Anybody experiencing the same thing or is it just a Norwegian phenomenon?  Tongue
Link to the review in Norwegian:
http://www.lydogbilde.no/test/hoyttalere...ld-phantom
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(22-Dec-2016, 15:47)ragwo Wrote: I'm experiencing a bit of a floating stereo perspective with the Gold Phantom's. The placement is exactly the same as the Silver's I had. I've done a lot of adjustments and it's better but not perfect. The stereo perspective of the Silver's was excellent. The Norwegian HiFi magazine Lyd og Bilde remarks the same in their recent review. Anybody experiencing the same thing or is it just a Norwegian phenomenon?  Tongue

The silvers have a more spatial sound
More spatial sound or not, when a song is recorded with the vocal in the middle of the soundstage, the speakers should be able to reproduce that. If not, it seems like a a timing issue, not the lack of spatial sound.
My Phantom Voyage
(22-Dec-2016, 20:59)ragwo Wrote: More spatial sound or not, when a song is recorded with the vocal in the middle of the soundstage, the speakers should be able to reproduce that. If not, it seems like a a timing issue, not the lack of spatial sound.

Did you have the dialog and the phantoms on the same powerblok?
By me there was a time delay when the where not on the same powerblock
They are on the same power circuit. The outlets are chained. Unfortunately it's not possible to have them all on the same extension chord. The setup was the same with the Silver Phantom's and I had no issues. I've tried a full factory reset without any change.
My Phantom Voyage
(22-Dec-2016, 21:16)ragwo Wrote: They are on the same power circuit. The outlets are chained. Unfortunately it's not possible to have them all on the same extension chord. The setup was the same with the Silver Phantom's and I had no issues. I've tried a full factory reset without any change.

By me was that a problem with the silvers
(22-Dec-2016, 15:47)ragwo Wrote: I'm experiencing a bit of a floating stereo perspective with the Gold Phantom's. The placement is exactly the same as the Silver's I had. I've done a lot of adjustments and it's better but not perfect. The stereo perspective of the Silver's was excellent. The Norwegian HiFi magazine Lyd og Bilde remarks the same in their recent review. Anybody experiencing the same thing or is it just a Norwegian phenomenon?  Tongue

What do you mean by 'floating'?  I've not noticed the difference in stereo imaging on silver or gold pairs.  What I did notice is that the Gold had better 'air' and spaciousness which is a plus.
By floating I mean vocals/instruments not being in the middle of the soundstage when they are supposed to. The placement of the speakers are identical to the Silver's, which had no problems. I've measured and adjusted several times to be shure the distance to sweet spot and toe in is the same for both speakers. The sweet spot hasn't moved.
My Phantom Voyage
(23-Dec-2016, 08:41)ragwo Wrote: By floating I mean vocals/instruments not being in the middle of the soundstage when they are supposed to. The placement of the speakers are identical to the Silver's, which had no problems.  I've measured and adjusted several times to be shure the distance to sweet spot and toe in is the same for both speakers. The sweet spot hasn't moved.

Try them on the same powerblok without filters etc. 
On the same powercircuit was in my case not good enough!

When the phantoms and the dialog where on the same powerblock it was in my case a big difference.
With that difference in my mind i also tried to connect the phantoms with Cat7 ethernet cables and that was again a big positive experience.

After done that two things, my sounds is much better, fuller, more from everything, with everything in the sound on the right place.

I went from a good hifi sound to a much much better real high end sound.

Just try it and you Will be amazed
If I have to use extension chords and ethernet cables all over my living room I might as well go back to an ordinary stereo system. There are will be less cable clutter with an ordinary stereo than the solution you describe. I'm glad it's working for you, but it's not a solution that works for me. If this is the measures we'll have to take to get proper sound from the Phantom's, Devialet cannot promote them as wireless speakers anymore.
My Phantom Voyage