Poll: Do you SAM and if so, how exactly do you choose to use it.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
SAM 100% all the time
31.53%
64 31.53%
SAM at a fixed % all the time
21.18%
43 21.18%
SAM all the time, but vary the percent
4.93%
10 4.93%
SAM all the time at 0%
3.94%
8 3.94%
Sometimes SAM on or off, but 100% if on
1.97%
4 1.97%
Sometimes SAM on or off, with fixed % if on
1.48%
3 1.48%
Sometimes SAM on or off, and vary the % if on
2.96%
6 2.96%
Sometimes SAM on or off, but 0% if on
0.49%
1 0.49%
I have SAM ready speakers but prefer SAM off at all times
9.36%
19 9.36%
I do not have SAM ready speakers
22.17%
45 22.17%
Total 203 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you use SAM?
Hey Confused, 
how do you use SAM since you did the SAM-Test?
I bet you know what my vote was  Rolleyes.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Have experimented loads with SAM ON/off since I got the D, and am always hot and cold.

With a bit of back and forwards on the Pro, I've finally disabled it properly. I've already got more bass than my room can handle and am using a bit of EQ to fix. I'm also using an EQ to get a more B&K curve type in-room response.

With SAM on (even at 0%) the soundstage always seems smaller and I've always thought things just seem a bit 'softer' and slightly off, so I'm not fully convinced on the alignment stuff alone. OK, the bass extension does work well, but in my case it's not needed and there's much finer control using room and user preference specific DSP.

I'm sure I'll always pop it on every now and then as it's a feature, and it's hard not to knowing it's there. But for now the amp will turn on without it, and since it needs an SD card write to re-enable it, it will probably stay off and I'll stick with more convenient controls.

Also I've not heard many other SAMed speakers - maybe it varies quite a lot and that's why some love it more than others?

(I voted sometimes, and variable, as that's been the case throughout, even though it's now off 100%)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Just like Vivialet, i voted SAM off because it doesn't work well anymore with the Giyas. I guess i'll open a ticket as well...

Dedicated Intel 2600k JRiver :: 1000Pro :: Vivid Audio Giya G2
Main Workstation :: 220Pro :: B&W CDM1 SE
Mine is off, in my room setup combo it's much better without
I've been experimenting with SAM since the amps. Pro upgrade. With SAM on, I detect a change in the lower mid band, it seems a bit sucked out and lifeless, although why this should be I have no idea as I thought that SAM would only affect the low bass. Thinking about it though, when a sub woofer is used, it seems to take the strain off the system and improve the other frequencies, so it can have a effect on the mids, although SAM on my system seems have a negative impact. I have also detected a slight narrowing of the sound stage with SAM on. At the moment, the amp. is set to boot up with SAM on at 20%. Anything more than this and the lowest registers are too much for my ears. Weighing all this up, I think I prefer SAM off and  I've decided that I'm going to re-do the configuration files to have it off at startup. If I think I'm missing anything, it's an easy job to turn it back on, after all.

May I take this opportunity to wish the moderators and members a very merry Christmas, and a happy, peaceful  and prosperous new year!

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
It would be nice for many to be able to have it off by default and turn it on with the remote.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(25-Dec-2016, 03:45)Dr Tone Wrote: It would be nice for many to be able to have it off by default and turn it on with the remote.
That is easy to do! I have configured my remote that way - being able to switch SAM on / off just with one single klick.
(25-Dec-2016, 10:39)markush Wrote:
(25-Dec-2016, 03:45)Dr Tone Wrote: It would be nice for many to be able to have it off by default and turn it on with the remote.
That is easy to do! I have configured my remote that way - being able to switch SAM on / off just with one single klick.

You can't configure SAM to be "off by default" and then turn it on when you want with the remote.  Right now it can only be on by default and you have to turn it off after you power it up.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(25-Dec-2016, 15:49)Dr Tone Wrote:
(25-Dec-2016, 10:39)markush Wrote:

You can't configure SAM to be "off by default" and then turn it on when you want with the remote.  Right now it can only be on by default and you have to turn it off after you power it up.

You can turn SAM off in the Configurator. The amp. then boots up with SAM disabled. You can then either configure one of your remote buttons to control it, or scroll through the tone settings: balance, bass, treble, SAM percentage, then on the next screen, SAM on/off is at the bottom of the list. Turn the remote counter clockwise for off, or clockwise for on.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Sam on my G1's is useless they do exceptional bass on their lonesome
When setting up a G3 with sam , by playing test tones , we could plainly hear the clucking sound as SAM was limiting the speaker in the low bass
with G3' we Ended up with sam on but at 10% ..I preferred it off .. but the owner said that he liked the extra spaciousness of sound with it on and wasnt bothered by the occasional clucking.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room