Poll: Do you SAM and if so, how exactly do you choose to use it.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
SAM 100% all the time
31.53%
64 31.53%
SAM at a fixed % all the time
21.18%
43 21.18%
SAM all the time, but vary the percent
4.93%
10 4.93%
SAM all the time at 0%
3.94%
8 3.94%
Sometimes SAM on or off, but 100% if on
1.97%
4 1.97%
Sometimes SAM on or off, with fixed % if on
1.48%
3 1.48%
Sometimes SAM on or off, and vary the % if on
2.96%
6 2.96%
Sometimes SAM on or off, but 0% if on
0.49%
1 0.49%
I have SAM ready speakers but prefer SAM off at all times
9.36%
19 9.36%
I do not have SAM ready speakers
22.17%
45 22.17%
Total 203 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you use SAM?
Just wanted to say that SAM on the 220 pro is just like the D200 with my Sabrinas.

It removes some air around things and just adds a slight bit of warmth. It also flattens the presentation of everything, sucks the life out of things for lack of better words. Oddly I felt it focused the center image a bit on D200 but I'm not feeling that on the D220 pro. So it's really worst now.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(15-Jan-2017, 20:39)Dr Tone Wrote: Just wanted to say that SAM on the 220 pro is just like the D200 with my Sabrinas.

It removes some air around things and just adds a slight bit of warmth.  It also flattens the presentation of everything, sucks the life out of things for lack of better words.  Oddly I felt it focussed the center image a bit on D200 but I'm not feeling that on the D220 pro.  So it's really worst now.

How do you generel compare the performance of the 200 vs 220 Pro ?
(15-Jan-2017, 21:40)markush Wrote:
(15-Jan-2017, 20:39)Dr Tone Wrote: Just wanted to say that SAM on the 220 pro is just like the D200 with my Sabrinas.

It removes some air around things and just adds a slight bit of warmth.  It also flattens the presentation of everything, sucks the life out of things for lack of better words.  Oddly I felt it focussed the center image a bit on D200 but I'm not feeling that on the D220 pro.  So it's really worst now.

How do you generel compare the performance of the 200 vs 220 Pro ?

It's all in here:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3585
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I hope we are separating SAM effects from the simple psycho-acoustic effect of frequency imbalance here. In my experiments with JRiver Room EQ I have found that even fractions of a dB in bass contouring can affect the perception of airiness.
For instance, with my PMC 25.23's, SAM starts them 'climbing' a 32Hz room node which can introduce leaden-ness.
So I'm thinking that only those who've used 0% SAM at length can possibly comment on it's absolute effect.
As already said by another, for me its benefits (weight+solidity) outweigh the drawbacks (letting air out - hsssss*), maybe because my system is not at the elevated level to expose subtle HF detail loss.

[*don't get me wrong, I like air. I find it very useful when breathing.]
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Even with SAM at 0% there is a noticeable effect in the bass region and also in the airiness. Although I think my new speakers are less impacted by the effect, the effect is still there. For Jazz and classical music I prefer SAM off. For pop music it isn't that audible and I prefer it on because of the bass extension.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(16-Jan-2017, 14:13)JohnnySix Wrote: I hope we are separating SAM effects from the simple psycho-acoustic effect of frequency imbalance here. In my experiments with JRiver Room EQ I have found that even fractions of a dB in bass contouring can affect the perception of airiness.
For instance, with my PMC 25.23's, SAM starts them 'climbing' a 32Hz room node which can introduce leaden-ness.
So I'm thinking that only those who've used 0% SAM at length can possibly comment on it's absolute effect.
As already said by another, for me its benefits (weight+solidity) outweigh the drawbacks (letting air out - hsssss*), maybe because my system is not at the elevated level to expose subtle HF detail loss.

[*don't get me wrong, I like air. I find it very useful when breathing.]

Always at 0% when doing my comparisons.

I use it with my Phantoms. Makes a huge difference. Pretty easy to configure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
I would like to use SAM, but my speakers are not SAM-ed up.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
I don't use it anymore because I already have enough low frequency on everyday listening position.
But sometimes when I put speakers far from the back wall, SAM is welcome on some leaner recordings.
I use SAM on 100% all the time. My room have some acoustical treatment so it works well.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden