Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Silver EQ. (Gold sound)
Hello,

I have one Silver Phantom and will buy another one in the next couple of weeks/month. I really enjoy the sound and I know that a second one will make the setup perfect.
But sometimes I think the deep frequencies and the hights are not perfectly balanched and I know that there is no native equalizer from Devialet out there. I also read some reviews about the phantom gold and I think they adress this exactly.

After some research here in the forum, I maybe found the solution in the DSPeaker 2.0 where I can adjust the sound via an integrated equalizer. What do you mean, can the silver be adjusted like that it sounds more like the gold ?

Or is an upgrade to the gold necessary ?
I don't think it is just balance - it has to do with the capability of the drivers where the tweeter on the gold just have faster transients. And ore power give more control to the driver - it is not just about absolute volume. Then there's the improved sound processing and amp.
I have found that they only reproduce what is on the original recording like any good speaker. The bass element has been over emphasised due to shops trying to impress potential owners and Devialet focusing on the bass. I have only owned two so I couldn't comment on whether this makes a difference.
Ok that makes sense, but is it an overall good solution to tweak the sound via DSPeaker ? The sound of the Silver is awesome no question, maybe sometimes on some recordings the bass is to strong, so I would tweak that only sometimes a little bit down.

Or is there an alternative to have a decent equalizer for the phantoms ?
I got the "bundle" 2xGold Phantom + Dialog + Apple TV and 2xTree stands delivered last friday. I must say that I'm truly impressed by the mid and high frequencies.. so unrestrained and clear. The lower end of the frequency spectrum is also fine. But I get a very "boomy" upper bass or mid-bass if you prefer. I don't know if it is due to how the phantoms are voiced or if it has to do with my listening room.. but I can't accept this "deviation".
The way foward, if repositioning of the speakers doesn't work, would be to get a "digital renderer" (Auralic etc.) and a room correction device. Thats a considerate extra expense.. DOH! Or?
Jriver/Tidal on PC Win10-> AIR 3.0.4 -> Devialet 220 Expert Pro -> Siltek 440 -> Sonus Faber Venere Signature
DIY bass traps. Plenty of designs out there if you search.

But best to measure the acoustics of your room first so you can be sure of what you need. REW is free software that many use.
Thanks for your advice Gremlin.

REW looks nice. Although I do not understand how to output the test tones through the Phantoms. I'll have to dig into this.
Jriver/Tidal on PC Win10-> AIR 3.0.4 -> Devialet 220 Expert Pro -> Siltek 440 -> Sonus Faber Venere Signature
I finally sat down with some other music enthusiasts and we did a thorough run through test of the Gold vs Silver. No question that it is not just a matter of EQ. The Gold is simply MUCH better than the silver. All three of us agree hands down - so much so that if we were to repurchase, we would consider only the gold. . I can identify them blindfolded. Gold has better transients, articulation, resolution - you name it. The only place Silver came out ahead was the perception of more bass - we are not sure if that is so, or whether the more recessed trebles in the silver also gives the sense of more bass.
(06-Jan-2017, 09:53)MountainGuy Wrote: I finally sat down with some other music enthusiasts and we did a thorough run through test of the Gold vs Silver.  No question that it is not just a matter of EQ.  The Gold is simply MUCH better than the silver.  All three of us agree hands down - so much so that if we were to repurchase, we would consider only the gold. .  I can identify them blindfolded.  Gold has better transients, articulation, resolution - you name it.  The only place Silver came out ahead was the perception of more bass - we are not sure if that is so, or whether the more recessed trebles in the silver also gives the sense of more bass.

Do the same test with the silvers again, but then the phantoms connected by Cat7 ethernet cables and the dialog and phantoms on the same powerblok.

In my case it was a very very big difference

And if i compare then with the golds i prefere the silvers

The golds are just like a very luxairy car and the silvers (when connected with ethernet cables) just like a (expensive) sportscar

Say a Rolls royce and a Ferrari
I used 2 Silver during one year and now I have 2 Gold for two weeks. I agree with what is said here about quality of recording and room being determining factors. My experience is that the source used is equally determinant. I listen direct sources (vinyls and CDs), home-made Wav/AIF digitalized music from my record collection and lossless (flac) TIDAL streaming. I've compared the same record with those three different sources. In my ear there is sensible difference between the first two on one hand and the third on the other hand. And this difference iis much more obvious with bass that is less precise and defined, with a halo effect that blurs the space repartition.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France