Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Silver EQ. (Gold sound)
(06-Jan-2017, 10:59)Johnnydev Wrote:
(06-Jan-2017, 09:53)MountainGuy Wrote: I finally sat down with some other music enthusiasts and we did a thorough run through test of the Gold vs Silver.  No question that it is not just a matter of EQ.  The Gold is simply MUCH better than the silver.  All three of us agree hands down - so much so that if we were to repurchase, we would consider only the gold. .  I can identify them blindfolded.  Gold has better transients, articulation, resolution - you name it.  The only place Silver came out ahead was the perception of more bass - we are not sure if that is so, or whether the more recessed trebles in the silver also gives the sense of more bass.

Do the same test with the silvers again, but then the phantoms connected by Cat7 ethernet cables and the dialog and phantoms on the same powerblok.

In my case it was a very very big difference

And if i compare then with the golds i prefere the silvers

The golds are just like a very luxairy car and the silvers (when connected with ethernet cables) just like a (expensive) sportscar

Say a Rolls royce and a Ferrari

While we did not use ethernet cables, all four were on the same power outlet and under identical position and volume.  The difference was not subtle.
(06-Jan-2017, 12:17)Jean-Claude Wrote: I used 2 Silver during one year and now I have 2 Gold for two weeks. I agree with what is said here about quality of recording and room being determining factors. My experience is that the source used is equally determinant. I listen direct sources (vinyls and CDs), home-made Wav/AIF digitalized music from my record collection and lossless (flac) TIDAL streaming. I've compared the same record with those three different sources. In my ear there is sensible difference between the first two on one hand and the third on the other hand. And this difference iis much more obvious with bass that is  less precise and defined, with a halo effect that blurs the space repartition.

Of your three sources, which gave you the best result?
(06-Jan-2017, 19:58)MountainGuy Wrote:
(06-Jan-2017, 10:59)Johnnydev Wrote:
(06-Jan-2017, 09:53)MountainGuy Wrote: I finally sat down with some other music enthusiasts and we did a thorough run through test of the Gold vs Silver.  No question that it is not just a matter of EQ.  The Gold is simply MUCH better than the silver.  All three of us agree hands down - so much so that if we were to repurchase, we would consider only the gold. .  I can identify them blindfolded.  Gold has better transients, articulation, resolution - you name it.  The only place Silver came out ahead was the perception of more bass - we are not sure if that is so, or whether the more recessed trebles in the silver also gives the sense of more bass.

Do the same test with the silvers again, but then the phantoms connected by Cat7 ethernet cables and the dialog and phantoms on the same powerblok.

In my case it was a very very big difference

And if i compare then with the golds i prefere the silvers

The golds are just like a very luxairy car and the silvers (when connected with ethernet cables) just like a (expensive) sportscar

Say a Rolls royce and a Ferrari

While we did not use ethernet cables, all four were on the same power outlet and under identical position and volume.  The difference was not subtle.

Just Try the silvers on ethernet cables
(06-Jan-2017, 20:00)MountainGuy Wrote:
(06-Jan-2017, 12:17)Jean-Claude Wrote: I used 2 Silver during one year and now I have 2 Gold for two weeks. I agree with what is said here about quality of recording and room being determining factors. My experience is that the source used is equally determinant. I listen direct sources (vinyls and CDs), home-made Wav/AIF digitalized music from my record collection and lossless (flac) TIDAL streaming. I've compared the same record with those three different sources. In my ear there is sensible difference between the first two on one hand and the third on the other hand. And this difference iis much more obvious with bass that is  less precise and defined, with a halo effect that blurs the space repartition.

Of your three sources, which gave you the best result?

As much as I really hear a difference between the first two and streaming, it is less obvious to distinguish the direct source and its wav/aif form. I would be tempted to put direct source first but it could be a subjective bias as well. I'm quite sure a blindfold test could easily confond me. I have tried flac downloading too, and it's pretty good. I can't be definitive about it because I didn't compare listening to the same recordings but I didn't find any of streaming alterations I've mentionned.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France