Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best power cord for Devialet
(06-Jun-2020, 00:36)markush Wrote: What are your experiences in burn-in time of High Current power cables (I am using two Audioquest Thunder for Devialet mono amps - two 220 Pros). How long does it take and to what extend will it improve performance?

If you don't hear any improvements after first 24 hours, time to send them back :-) What power cord did you replace these with. For e.g. if you replace Mansoon with these, you will be hard pressed to discern the difference.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
Hi @markush
I'll stay well away from 'the best' part of the discussion, but @sam1000 says 24 hours. He is being overly generous and patient. My power cable trials and swaps have shown the change immediately (if it exists). Moving from the AQ that came with the Pro upgraded amp to the AQ NRG Z3, the improvement was clear and immediate, so I did not bother swapping back to the original, just to test or check. The same thing happened when I trialed cables form NRG Custom Cables, and even when I added Nordost Purple Flare cables to my Sonos boxes. I did not hear any change over time, but for some cables, I took a while to decide if I liked the sound. But I'd say you should hear a difference in the first minute.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
The length of time to burn in cables seems to depend on load. If you leave them plugged in but with amps in standby they’ll need weeks. I have adapters for power cords that convert the IEC connectors to normal 15 amp sockets so I can plug in a fan or incandescent lamp. So configured, cables like the Synergistic Research Atmosphere HC will take about 150-200 hours to sound their very best. Before that time they will introduce an unevenness in the sonic spectrum, emphasising certain frequencies that can sound like room nodes. You will also notice an increase in transparency and additional detail and air at around the 150-200 hour point. 
In my experience, you should hear about 60% of what a cable is going to deliver within the first few hours of operation. The balance....and I mean that in both senses i.e remainder and equanimity takes much longer. 
Typically cables specified for high current take a lot longer to burn in than regular cables
Thank you all for your inputs! I have to say that exchanging Monsoon for HC Thunder immediately had a major difference. But there was one thing that concerned me:
@Blackmorec You absolutely got it!!: „ they will introduce an unevenness in the sonic spectrum, emphasising certain frequencies that can sound like room nodes.“
I am glad that others already know about that - respectively to hear that is a usual process Smile
My personal experience is that it’s next to impossible to detect small gradual changes over an extended period of time. My sound memory just isn’t sharp enough.

I do believe that cables make an audible difference, but my rule of thumb is that most of it should be heard the moment you swap cables.

If you don’t like what you hear then odds are you’d be better off sending the cable back right away.

Besides I am yet to hear a credible scientific explanation about the mechanisms in play that would introduce an audible physical change in a cable due to typical audio level currents flowing through it.

I have been very pleased with Shunyata’s power cables and the company does stress that their manufacturing process nearly cancels burn-in time. To my ears is an honnest statement that confirms the low probability of things improving significantly over time if they don’t sound right from day one.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
They really made an immediate difference and improved noticeably during the first days already. Similar to B&W 800 series speaker which was quite sharp in highs and lacking a bit of bass.
I am no technician to explain what is happening here in detail - but judging this, respectively swapping back and comparing cables also clearly confirms this.
(06-Jun-2020, 15:46)Blackmorec Wrote: The length of time to burn in cables seems to depend on load. If you leave them plugged in but with amps in standby they’ll need weeks. I have adapters for power cords that convert the IEC connectors to normal 15 amp sockets so I can plug in a fan or incandescent lamp. So configured, cables like the Synergistic Research Atmosphere HC will take about 150-200 hours to sound their very best. Before that time they will introduce an unevenness in the sonic spectrum, emphasising certain frequencies that can sound like room nodes. You will also notice an increase in transparency and additional detail and air at around the 150-200 hour point. 
In my experience, you should hear about 60% of what a cable is going to deliver within the first few hours of operation. The balance....and I mean that in both senses i.e remainder and equanimity takes much longer. 
Typically cables specified for high current take a lot longer to burn in than regular cables

Hi, I also built an adapter so that I can grind in a large cooling unit (2800W). I let each cable burn in for about 1 - 2 weeks !! Wink
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria