Poll: How do you find the sound quality of Tidal MQA?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I love it! It's a ten out of ten
20.59%
7 20.59%
It is better than standard but it's not a ten out of ten yet
8.82%
3 8.82%
It is better than standard but you really need to do an ABX test to hear the difference
11.76%
4 11.76%
It is better but I believe it would be even better if Devialet would implement MQA in their DAC
41.18%
14 41.18%
I can't hear any difference between standard and MQA
17.65%
6 17.65%
MQA is worse than standard
0%
0 0%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you find the sound quality of Tidal MQA?
I have a Meridian Explorer2 connected via USB/ Roon RAAT on a Rasberry Pi and based on admittedly just a few listenings, I think Tidal MQA  played via Roon ( can be hit and miss to find the tracks in Roon) sounds better than MQA tracks decoded by the OS X Tidal app. This surprised me somewhat as the Explorer2 outputs analogue on a 3.5 mm jack which must be re-digitised on my D440. Both sound decernably better than the same track played undecoded via Roon and Ethernet AIR. The music sounds more "organic" and less lively,  but more "real" - which as others and I have noted, seems the defining characteristic of MQA. Tomorrow I will listen more to compare Tidal app decoded MQA and Explorer2 MQA to see if I can better pin down the differences.
iTunes & TIDAL HiFi --> ROON on iMac --> ROON RAAT over Ethernet --> D440 Pro-->  ProAc  D40R floorstanding speakers (SAM)
Also:  Linn LP12/Ittok turntable Cables: Nordost Shiva power, Nordost Flatline2 speaker cable

Dublin,  Ireland

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you find the sound quality of Tidal MQA? - by Markpd - 08-Jan-2017, 00:59