Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Silver or Gold? Im a newbie
Hello,

Im a complete newbie. Wondering if I should get the Silver or the Gold version.

Not a audiophile guy, will be using it to watch TV, movies, sports, play video games and listen to music through spotify.
I will just get one, so not gonna have it in stereo mode and it will be placed in a 43 square meter apartment.

Will I notice any difference between the Silver og Gold version? Or should I just go for the Silver one.
Thanks for any advice.
Save up and get 2 white ones. 2 whites are better than 1 gold. You have 2 ears for a reason. Only way I would go with 1 silver or 1 gold would be to add another one later. Good luck.
(09-Jan-2017, 14:48)Popplus Wrote: Hello,

Im a complete newbie. Wondering if I should get the Silver or the Gold version.

Not a audiophile guy, will be using it to watch TV, movies, sports, play video games and listen to music through spotify.
I will just get one, so not gonna have it in stereo mode and it will be placed in a 43 square meter apartment.

Will I notice any difference between the Silver og Gold version? Or should I just go for the Silver one.
Thanks for any advice.

With movies etc the silver is much better
(09-Jan-2017, 16:03)Johnnydev Wrote: With movies etc the silver is much better

Why is that, by the way?
(09-Jan-2017, 16:19)Ddmitrek Wrote:
(09-Jan-2017, 16:03)Johnnydev Wrote: With movies etc the silver is much better

Why is that, by the way?

Just listen.
Golds are just like a luxe car and the silvers like sportscar
With films the silvers are more spectacular

And one is not a good option
Hey. Thanks for replies. I will maybe add two later. Earlier i had sonos playbar with sub and thought that was fantastical
Have pairs of Silver and Gold. For me, Gold hands down.
I don't think that there is just one good answer to your question. It depends mainly of your habits about music and the room where you play it.

More wide is your room more effective will be the stereo image with 2 Phantoms. I often experience that, having 2 Gold in my house but using only one when I'm in a little flat during summer time. I quickly forget the stereo habit.

Stereo doesn't modify the quality of the sound, Phantom option (Gold, Silver or White) does. If hi-fi is your first need, it could be more effective to upgrade your choice, starting directly with one Gold and you'll add later the stereo effect that you will fully appreciate because it's a different dimension - not quality - of the listening that you'll experience.

If you listen mainly or exclusively to music with need of "implosive" impact (electro, soundtracks,...), stereo is not so important and upgrading Phantom options will make not so huge difference.

And all this must be reconsidered depending on the sources you use. If it's not direct sources (cd, vinyl) or lossless files/streaming (wav, aif, flac,..), Silver and Gold will be unable to give you your money's worth.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
The stereo effect with films / tv is very important !
One phantom can not give you so much pleasure
And my opinion is that 2 phantoms give you more then twice!
I should never Buy one, just Try it in the store
Since you want to use the Phantoms for video, if you plan on getting two or more, you'll need Dialog to sync them. There is an Audio delay incurred, so you'll need to go with a solution to allow you to compensate for that audio delay, otherwise you'll encounter lip sync issues. There are a few threads already on that here, but just a heads up for you.