Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Question to Devialet regarding Roon and MQA
I filed a question to Devialet support regarding Roon and MQA as I suppose many others have done but here is the answer.

Quote:Thank you for your message.

For now, we do not have any plans concerning MQA. I unfortunately cannot tell if it will be the case or not.

The same goes with Roon as we do not have any upcoming development with it.

Your request has been transmitted to our R&D department anyway in order for them to be aware of your query.

Thank you for your feedback.

Perhaps they dont want to tell us all regarding this but I think the upcoming streamerboard will just be a Dialog for the Experts and they want us to use Spark to control it. 
I will not coment on Spark (I use it with my Phantom) but if that is the only option to control the streamerboard that is really sad  Sad
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

The other question is: What affect on sound quality adding another small computer in the Devialet will have? Everyone tries their best to isolate their computer from the Devialet.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

...you meant to say "adding another small computer" I'm sure!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I'm sure Devialet are well aware that if the sound quality isn't up to scratch, the streamer board isn't worth having at all. It has to sound better than AIR or they're wasting their time.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(09-Jan-2017, 21:03)thumb5 Wrote: ...you meant to say "adding another small computer" I'm sure!

Yes.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(09-Jan-2017, 21:10)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I'm sure Devialet are well aware that if the sound quality isn't up to scratch, the streamer board isn't worth having at all. It has to sound better than AIR or they're wasting their time.

I highly doubt a new streaming board is being created with improving sound quality in mind.  I think it's to add features to make the amp more attractive to new and existing owners.

Air debacle aside I don't think the sound quality of the current ethernet, USB and digital inputs stop people from purchasing. Lack of DLNA support certainly might prevent some from purchasing.

Hard to believe they're going to the expense and trouble to release a new OS/streaming board without supporting products in high demand.  Giving away the board free to all of us that have bought or upgraded to a Pro is a non-trivial project - not just doing so for free, but handling the support logistics to get the new board integrated.  Surely they must have a strategy to give us all a reason to really want this new board.

Has there been any kind of poll that asks whether Expert owners want Roon or MQA support?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(09-Jan-2017, 20:37)octaviars Wrote: The same goes with Roon as we do not have any upcoming development with it.

Your request has been transmitted to our R&D department anyway in order for them to be aware of your query.

Only because they started talking to Roon and then just went AWOL... Huh

I think we all know exactly where those requests were transmitted..... along with all the other customer requests somewhere where the sun don't shine.

Won't stop me pestering them continually though.

If the streamer board only ends up providing upnp and Spark, I think my Devialet ownership will come to an end and I'll move on to a more customer focussed company. Or probably just get a much more basic setup which with my current home life would suit me fine anyway. Meanwhile I'm quite enjoying the pro especially now I've disabled SAM and moved tone control configuration away from the stupid SD card system of the D.

Seriously though. I still think they might come through. First they actually need a streamer board they can add things to.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(09-Jan-2017, 22:44)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Seriously though. I still think they might come through. First they actually need a streamer board they can add things to.

If they can do DSD decoding internally, I would think MQA decoding would be achievable without a streamer board.  That said Devialet hasn't been delivering much new and improved with regards to firmware updates in the last year.  Oops, I forgot about the new display colors and font.

You can still get a lot of the goodness of MQA with the devialet..I ran some tests

3 sources

I used Avishai cohen trio From darkness CD.. lots of dynamics , strong bass , delicate cymbals..a CD I know well.
My system resolves very well and my room is fully treated..I wound it up a bit..well a lot...

"sources" were

Roon sending a 24/48 file .. IE mqa file , no decoding

tidal playing the hifi 16/44 version of the CD

Tidal playing the unfolded MQA

Firstly I cued up the 16 bit VS the 24/48 and flipped between them instantly and seamlessly and the 24 bit was superior in just about all respects .. especially bass and slam , it sounded more open ,, the levels of both were the same .. the 16 bit was more strident ..
So it seems that just by streaming the raw mqa 24/48 you get some of the "goodness"

Then I cued up roon passing thru the 24/48 Vs Tidal AP decoding it .. the decoded was noticeably different and IMHO a lot better ...

Then I cued up the 16bit version in roon and the tidal mqa decoded .. Ie compare "raw 16 bit" to processed MQA
difference was huge.....

So
MQA 2448 is NOT the same as the 16 bit version sonically wise .. It is not remastered however..
just streaming the 2448 unencoded gives you a SQ boost vs the same in 16/44
Decoding it takes it up a step higher.
Ostensibly adding a MQA DAC should take you another step forward

I am of the opinion that every change is positive , hence my step forward / higher comments.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room