Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker cable binding posts
OK, I've read mention of a hack on the speaker cable binding posts whereby it sounds better with a bit removed if using banana plugs. Is it the plastic housing around the posts that can be removed?
(01-Jun-2014, 13:26)Rufus McDufus Wrote: OK, I've read mention of a hack on the speaker cable binding posts whereby it sounds better with a bit removed if using banana plugs. Is it the plastic housing around the posts that can be removed?

Would be great if we could get some pics and more detailed descriptions of this tweak... Any ideas on why this might work?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
There you go...
Also see the wooden rca of Entreq Silver Tellus. looks funny, sounds great.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(01-Jun-2014, 14:36)Kunter Wrote: There you go...
Also see the wooden rca of Entreq Silver Tellus. looks funny, sounds great.

Thanks! So do you literally pull the plastic tips off? Do they break off or can they be reinstated after?

Where did you get this idea from?

How would you describe the impact on sound quality?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
You screw open them to a point, then they resist. This is where you pull with some force... you are not actually breaking anything, so you should be able to put them back if you need to do so. But i did not try it as I loved the sound without... Same story with the back cover.

The idea came from a fellow owner on the whats best forum. I think he got the idea from the WBT NextGen design where you are supposed to have as little mass as possible around the post.

The sound is just clearer, delicate. You will love it.

I even started to play with the idea of replacing them with WBT Next Gens

But this will void any warranty definitely...
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Written on 'Whats best ...' by user ekmanc here and following.
(01-Jun-2014, 14:27)GuillaumeB Wrote: .. Any ideas on why this might work?

Guillaume

Is probably due to reduced capacitance.
www.sablonaudio.com

Lampizator Transport / Level 7 dac / First One amplifier / Benesch ACT / Sistrum stand / Bybee stealth conditioner / Sablon cabling, mostly developmental prototypes
Thanks for the link Kunter - just done this. I did the same on my speakers a few years back.

It's a slightly disconcerting thing to do and if you are going to do it, then you'll need to remove the whole 'nut' - if you don't then the little internal ring gets stuck and you can't screw the 'nut' back on fully. It's best done on a firm surface with the rear of the amp facing you. As Kunter says, unscrew until you feel a slight resistance. Once past this point keep going and with one (gloved !) hand on the back of the amp pull gently with the other on the binding post 'nut' and with a bit of manoeuvring the 'nut' will come off. Look inside and you'll see the small ring - pull it out with a small long nose pliers. With the ring removed you can screw the connector back together again with no problem to return to how Devialet intended. Hope that helps.

[Image: DSC02550_zpse5396bbf.jpg]

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
(02-Jun-2014, 15:40)Sablon Audio Wrote:
(01-Jun-2014, 14:27)GuillaumeB Wrote: .. Any ideas on why this might work?

Guillaume

Is probably due to reduced capacitance.

Any thoughts why capacitance should be reduced with the covers off? The contact area between speaker cable and terminal isn't changed, is it?

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
The contact area is the same but the mass in the plug is lowered by quite a lot.