Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10m optical cable worth doing?
Hi - am looking to wire up my dialogue and phantoms with Ethernet cable 

I understand how to do hit this no probs - but in order to decide if I keep my dialogue near the router or near the speakers - does anyone know if a 10m optical cable between source and dialogue or phantoms will perform fine compared to a shorter cable?

Thanks Smile
(14-Jan-2017, 12:36)Jamington2004 Wrote: Hi - am looking to wire up my dialogue and phantoms with Ethernet cable 

I understand how to do hit this no probs - but in order to decide if I keep my dialogue near the router or near the speakers - does anyone know if a 10m optical cable between source and dialogue or phantoms will perform fine compared to a shorter cable?

Thanks Smile

I use 5m optical cables to white and silver Phantoms.  Nothing special.
Happy with result but then, I do not obsess about sound quality.
I also use 5m Ethernet cables.

Of course, you could also use fibre optic for Ethernet via appropriate adaptors.
There are Computer Audiophile threads discussing this and I have seen posts detailing success with fibre optic lengths of 15+m.
My Phantoms gold are on each side of my TV set. My DVD player and TV are hooked to the phantoms with an optical cable and my dialog seats on the other side of the room close to my router hooked to it with the short ethernet cable that came with the dialog.
That way I don't need a long optical cable and my connection is perfect. Besides people have reported problems (dropouts) when connecting an optical cable to the dialog rather than to the Phantom.
I found that the same record sounds better when played on a DVD player hooked with an optical cable to one of the phantoms than when streamed over spotify premium with high quality setting. 

I have also noticed that since the last  firmware upgrade, there is less much delay between the TV image and the sound when the TV is hooked to the Phantom by an optical cable. It is not bothering me any more.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
From what I understand the signal loss in a regular toslink cable is critical when using cables with lenghts 5 meters and longer. Therefore I would suggest short toslink - long ethernet cable...

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
Thanks everyone

Can't do optical into phantoms as turntable and sky box near router not speakers

Wired up with Ethernet now and don't appear to get any dropouts or crackles with optical into dialogue so far

Smile