Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Silver or Gold? Im a newbie
(09-Jan-2017, 14:48)Popplus Wrote: Hello,

Im a complete newbie. Wondering if I should get the Silver or the Gold version.

Not a audiophile guy, will be using it to watch TV, movies, sports, play video games and listen to music through spotify.
I will just get one, so not gonna have it in stereo mode and it will be placed in a 43 square meter apartment.

Will I notice any difference between the Silver og Gold version? Or should I just go for the Silver one.
Thanks for any advice.

I wrote a highly positive review of the Gold a while back, but I don't recommend them anymore. The software is just too unreliable. Don't buy either till Devialet fixes their broken software. Sad, their hardware is brilliant, their software is infantile compared to the competition.
(11-Jan-2017, 22:26)srima Wrote:
(09-Jan-2017, 14:48)Popplus Wrote: Hello,

Im a complete newbie. Wondering if I should get the Silver or the Gold version.

Not a audiophile guy, will be using it to watch TV, movies, sports, play video games and listen to music through spotify.
I will just get one, so not gonna have it in stereo mode and it will be placed in a 43 square meter apartment.

Will I notice any difference between the Silver og Gold version? Or should I just go for the Silver one.
Thanks for any advice.

I wrote a highly positive review of the Gold a while back, but I don't recommend them anymore. The software is just too unreliable. Don't buy either till Devialet fixes their broken software. Sad, their hardware is brilliant, their software is infantile compared to the competition.

I remember that review - something along the lines of we should all forget about experts and/or pro upgrades and buy the golds. Might be worth editing a little amendment if you feel differently now. Rolleyes

Devialet being useless at software is a huge issue for them. Why they're not on top of it by now I've got no idea.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

just switched from 3 silvers to 3 golds. It's at least 50% "more" volume. But most important, the image is soooo much better. Much more open and breathing. Bass is much more present together with much better highs at low volume. I have a big room and the 3 silvers didn't sound good before 55-60 on the volume, now at 35 with the 3 golds its stunning. It's night at day for me.
Do you use all three in ONE room? How do you set it up in terms of channel (Left Right) and placement?
(12-Jan-2017, 22:06)MountainGuy Wrote: Do you use all three in ONE room?  How do you set it up in terms of channel (Left Right) and placement?

yes, pretty big room... 13x8m.
Left and right 4-5 meters apart in one end and the "mix" unit facing the 2 mains. Like a triangle... all facing center  listening position about 4 meters from all units. The mix unit coming in from behind really makes it full and warm. I can easily rotate 180 in the listening position and it still sounds amazing. 

Not on stands... yet... I'm hesitant for the looks of the room mostly... even if bass is a little bit booming on some songs.
(10-Jan-2017, 19:58)kameraguy Wrote: Since you want to use the Phantoms for video, if you plan on getting two or more, you'll need Dialog to sync them. There is an Audio delay incurred, so you'll need to go with a solution to allow you to compensate for that audio delay, otherwise you'll encounter lip sync issues. There are a few threads already on that here, but just a heads up for you.
I noticed that the audio delay is much less noticeable since the last firmware update on my dialog and golds. It is not bothering me any more.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac