Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does direct Ethernet connection improve sound over wireless for you?
Johnnydev has been kind enough to report that with his Silver, the sound improved dramatically when he ditched wireless and connected his stereo pair of Silver directly to the router using Cat7 ethernet cables. 

Has anyone else compare wireless and ethernet connection - and your results?   And are you running white, silver or gold? 

I am wondering if perhaps it may be router dependent.  Thanks
I've a pair of Gold, used to connect to the same powerblock with PLC. After reading some posts here, replace with cat 5e LAN cables instead of PLC as theoritically it provide the best stability,  however I didnt' find any SQ difference or improvement so I kept it like this.
After reading Johnnydev's post, I built few good quality cat 7 cable with good quality RJ45 connectors and give it a try, the result was quite obvious, SQ became bad, everything seems amplified and hide the details, just like an inferior hi-fi sound that I used to have.
I don't understand why it happen, it make no sense, everything in the same position and same configuration. Anyway my system now resumed to use PLC.
[attachment=1755]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Timhbf,
Did you control in spark that the where really on ethernet ?
And did you do a complete factory reset after installing the cat7?
I've stated it before in here, but I absolutely cannot see why there would be ANY sq difference between Ethernet, PLC or wifi. Stability, yes, but as long as the bits are flowing (you will hear nothing if they don't), there cannot be a difference. There's fault tolerance built into tcp to prevent bad packages and this works over all mediums. Ask yourself this: if you transmit a document or film over wifi, plc or Ethernet cables ( cat 5,6,7), will the file contain more errors over one medium than the other? (No). Sound files are no different from that point of view. They will be bit perfect or they will not arrive at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(15-Jan-2017, 09:51)martinskeem Wrote: I've stated it before in here, but I absolutely cannot see why there would be ANY sq difference between Ethernet, PLC or wifi. Stability, yes, but as long as the bits are flowing (you will hear nothing if they don't), there cannot be a difference. There's fault tolerance built into tcp to prevent bad packages and this works over all mediums. Ask yourself this: if you transmit a document or film over wifi, plc or Ethernet cables ( cat 5,6,7), will the file contain more errors over one medium than the other? (No). Sound files are no different from that point of view. They will be bit perfect or they will not arrive at all.

Seconded.
(15-Jan-2017, 09:44)Johnnydev Wrote: Hi Timhbf,

Yes I checked the settings in sparks on every test, makes sure it's on correct connection status. I didn't make factory reset between tests as I don't think it will help
(15-Jan-2017, 11:20)timhbf Wrote:

Yes I checked the settings in sparks on every test, makes sure it's on correct connection status. I didn't make factory reset between tests as I don't think it will help

Strange that it became worse by you.
(15-Jan-2017, 09:51)martinskeem Wrote: I've stated it before in here, but I absolutely cannot see why there would be ANY sq difference between Ethernet, PLC or wifi. Stability, yes, but as long as the bits are flowing (you will hear nothing if they don't), there cannot be a difference. There's fault tolerance built into tcp to prevent bad packages and this works over all mediums. Ask yourself this: if you transmit a document or film over wifi, plc or Ethernet cables ( cat 5,6,7), will the file contain more errors over one medium than the other? (No). Sound files are no different from that point of view. They will be bit perfect or they will not arrive at all.

If what you stated is correct, it simply mean a PC CD ROM is equal to a 10K CD transport in term of SQ if they both connected to the same DAC and system. Your theory is right for file transfer, you won't have a corrupted file through different media. But for streaming, this is another story.
I don't have a phantom, "only" a Devialet 1000pro. This also sounds better with Ethernet compared to Wifi. So bits are apparently not bits...
(15-Jan-2017, 11:29)Johnnydev Wrote:
(15-Jan-2017, 11:20)timhbf Wrote:

Strange that it became worse by you.

I can report the same - sound became worse when using Ethetnet cable. Can not even describe how, but something was wrong and starnge, I don't know, like timing issue ? Sound was fuzzy or smth.
And yes, they were controlled by cable as my router gave them IP address (via PLC/WiFi Dialog handles that).