Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does direct Ethernet connection improve sound over wireless for you?
(17-Jan-2017, 15:25)Herman Wrote: I’m sure that the connection has influence to the Sound:
@Vivialet: the D1000Pro may sound better via wired LAN because the Wi-Fi board was switched of and there is less distortion introduced to the audio boards inside the D1000.
I found the same behavior on my D440Pro.
@Jhonnydev & timhbf: If the phantoms automatically switch of their Wi-Fi, once connected via cable, this may cause the same effect and may lead to less distortion inside the phantoms
BUT if the ground level of the Router differs from the Phantoms and the Lan ports are not properly isolated there are some current introduced between the units via LAN. The amount of current may even differ by the phase the phantoms and /or the router are connected to the mains. And these compensating currents between the units may have an even bigger but worse effect to the sound then the benefits of the switched of Wi-Fi- connection.

Cheers
Herman

Hi Herman

Thanks for your replay.

I know that before and that's the reason that i use the cat700 where i can have the choice of grounding .
In my case everything is properly connected so that unwanted currents are not possible.
I have my Dialog and Phantoms connected to a power strip and PLC works perfectly. I tried using ethernet connections to a dumb strip on my network. No difference in sound quality or reliability (perfect as it was).

However, with the the ethernet connections in place I noticed that on occasions one Phantom would use the ethernet route while the other one used PLC. Though I did not notice any reduction in SQ, I worried that there might be timing problems. Maybe this was the source of poorer SQ in other ethernet set-ups? Anyway I removed the ethernet connections and went back to pure PLC.

Quality of CAT cable should not make any difference (unless it is broken, or the plugs make a poor connection); for an audio set-up the packet traffic is well below the capacity of the slowest cables available. A crappy router just might cause problems, but I think that unlikely.