Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companion channel silent
I have an issue with newly acquired 440 (straight from the box):

1. On 3m RCA to AES/EBU cable Companion driven channel does not play music above 48kHz sampling rate and doesn’t play Devialet generated brown noise at all. All analog inputs behave that way as swell. While Companion channel is silent the source graphic (e.g. “USB”) on the Companion is slightly blinking (doesn’t do it when music plays properly below 48 Khz).
- I tried generic 75 Ohm cable, generic 110Ohm cable and Crystal Cable Digit Reference cable and all behave the same way.
- I tried USB, SPDIF and optical inputs and all behave the same way.
- I tried to use different Companion and it behaves the same way.
- I tried multiple configurations and behavior is the same even with the simplest config with just one input.
- Firmware is updated to the latest 10.5.
- I confirmed that there Master is used as Master.
2. When the same config is modified for RCA to RCA connection and generic RCA to RCA cable is used music plays at all sampling rates, but Devialet generated brown noise doesn’t play on Companion channel. High resolution music skips occasionally.

My dealer replicated the issue on his equipment. Is anybody able to use RCA to AES/EBU cable on 440 with success?

Please help.
I don't have a 440, but I do have a 1000, which is basically the same electronics as a 400 but in a different case. Anyway, I use the RCA to AES/EBU link and have actually been listening to some 24/192 material today and everything works exactly as it should. I am at risk of stating the obvious here, but you mention you have confirmed the master is a master, I presume you have also checked the companion is a companion, that is correct configurations on each unit?

If your dealer can replicate the issue on their own 440, then this suggests a fundamental issue somewhere, one to report to Devialet support I fear, unless someone else can chime in with a brilliant solution. Meanwhile, I suggest you do the obvious and run via RCA to RCA link and hope Devialet come up with a rapid resolution of this issue. Meanwhile, enjoy your new 400!

I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum, and I sincerely hope you can get this issue sorted quickly.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I have a 440 Pro, and use an RCA-XLR (AES-EBU) link cable. Although I normally stick to 16/44.1 kHz, I've just tried some 24/96 kHz material played via AIR (Ethernet). That works fine for me so it might be worth checking that in your set-up, if you can. I'm afraid I can't easily check the other sources at anything over 48 kHz. (I'd be surprised if the behaviour depends on the source, but with Devialet anything can happen...)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Clutching at straws here, but it might be worth re-installing the firmware on both units.
Hope you get it working properly without having to send anything back to Devialet.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Thanks for all your suggestions. Unfortunately I still don't have a solution. Tried two different Companions, tried going back to 10.0.2 firmware. Nothing works.

The problem is also present on any analog input as everything is digitized to at least 96kHz by Devialet. And I believe AIR down samples to 48 kHz so that is why it works. Tired USB, SPDIF, Optical inputs - all the same.

The reason I am using RCA to XLR is to connect a 2nd Companion for a Center channel. But the issues are present even in simple configs with just a Master and one Companion.

Very frustrating intro to Devialet.
Just an FYI that doesn't solve your problem (sorry). I am using firmware 10.x and D440s. Using an RCA to XLR connection (cable by DH Labs). Works flawlessly at all sample rates including DSD.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
BTW - AIR does not down sample.

I would go with another users suggestion to try re loading the firmware and configuration to each unit.

Two SD cards, first load most recent firmware on both units.

Next go into Configurator - choose your two Devialet 220's and run it again.

And post a screenshot too?

Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Just to be sure. You did reset the Master first after firmware installation and then reset the companion after loading the firmware? Both need to be reset to work together.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(16-Jan-2017, 03:39)rafal123 Wrote: Thanks for all your suggestions. Unfortunately I still don't have a solution. Tried two different Companions, tried going back to 10.0.2 firmware. Nothing works.

The problem is also present on any analog input as everything is digitized to at least 96kHz by Devialet. And I believe AIR down samples to 48 kHz so that is why it works. Tired USB, SPDIF, Optical inputs - all the same.

The reason I am using RCA to XLR is to connect a 2nd Companion for a Center channel. But the issues are present even in simple configs with just a Master and one Companion.

Very frustrating intro to Devialet.

baddog, how long is your DH Labs cable I am using 10ft/3m cable. Wondering if length can be a problem. Tried reseting und upgrading firmware, doesn't work. Thanks.
Hello rafal123,

It's not clear from your posts whether you actually tried AIR and found it worked, or whether you're guessing that it will.  In my tests the bit rate indicator definitely said 96 kHz and I doubt that would be downsampled inside the Devialet (that is, baddog's comment sounds right to me).

I do use the phono input on my 440 which as you rightly say is sampled at 96 kHz; it works fine for me.  Sorry I forgot to mention that in my first reply.

Is it possible that there's a hardware problem with the AES input on your companion?  Maybe it's worth swapping the two units so that the current master becomes the companion and vice versa (of course, with the appropriate config files).

Have you asked Devialet for support?

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK