Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companion channel silent
(16-Jan-2017, 14:55)rafal123 Wrote:
(16-Jan-2017, 03:39)rafal123 Wrote: Thanks for all your suggestions. Unfortunately I still don't have a solution. Tried two different Companions, tried going back to 10.0.2 firmware. Nothing works.

The problem is also present on any analog input as everything is digitized to at least 96kHz by Devialet. And I believe AIR down samples to 48 kHz so that is why it works. Tired USB, SPDIF, Optical inputs - all the same.

The reason I am using RCA to XLR is to connect a 2nd Companion for a Center channel. But the issues are present even in simple configs with just a Master and one Companion.

Very frustrating intro to Devialet.

baddog, how long is your DH Labs cable I am using 10ft/3m cable. Wondering if length can be a problem. Tried reseting und upgrading firmware, doesn't work. Thanks.

My DH Labs cable is .7 meters in length (2.29 feet)

p.s. and just like Ian I am using the phono input with no issues.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(16-Jan-2017, 14:55)rafal123 Wrote: baddog, how long is your DH Labs cable I am using 10ft/3m cable. Wondering if length can be a problem. Tried reseting und upgrading firmware, doesn't work. Thanks.

That's an interesting point: the length of the cable might be important especially if it's not a good impedance match (although I saw you tried several - were they all that long?).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I tried AIR and it said 48kHz, so it worked.

I also asked Devialet. First it took them a week to conclude it cannot be impedance problem and it is likely that the cable is physically broken. So I got a bunch of other cables and tested everything to the same effect (all cables were 3m long). So they changed their mind and now say "we are facing an impedance problem : source is 75R, receiver is 110R, unless using a conversion transformer, impedances won't match and will prevent from proper operation at higher frequencies." I think its fair to say that Devialet doesn't expect RCA to XLR to work even though they advertise it as a viable option.
I used a RCA to XLR cable to connect my second D-Premier to my original one to produce a dual mono more or less as soon as the capability was added to the Configurator with v3 or v4 of the firmware. I continued to use it when I updated them to a pair of 250s and connected them as a 800, so for the best part of 4 years.
Never a problem, and back then many believed this connection gave the best SQ for a pair of amps, including me. I use the supplied link cable now with my O d'A and use some inputs on the companion.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thank you for all your advice. If only Devialet's support was as responsive as this community.

I found a solution. Sweetwater 110Ohm cable works. It looks like at 3m cable length the setup is very sensitive to cable impedance.
Good news!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Ok, so my saga with companion cable is resolved and I want to share with the forum so people can avoid all my troubles.

I have Devialet Expert Pro 440 connected through a 3m (10 feet) RCA to XLR cable.

I tried numerous cable solutions from Crystal Cable (Reference, Standard), Siltech (90Ohm and 110Ohm), DH Labs (110Ohm), Sweetwater (110Ohm) and none of them works with 96khz and above high resolution files (companion speaker is silent). I thought that Sweetwater cable works, but it was only true on couple of songs.

After trying to resolve it with Devialet for over 6 months and tireless work of my dealer I found that you need a impedance transformer. I used Picolino RCA to AES/EBU (http://www.broadcastlines.com/Picolino_A..._conv.html) which is the only RCA to XLR converter we were able to find. I talked to Audio Prana about a custom cable with a transformer built in but they were not comfortable building a cable of that length.

We isolated the issue to the cable solution (tried many configs and several Devialet units).

It is hard to say what the cutout length is, but if you want RCA to XLR connector of any meaningful lenght it will not work well without a transformer. 

Thanks everybody for your ideas throughtout the process.
Devialet 1000s, Belcanto 600Ms, Vivid Audio Giya G3, C1, V1w and sub, Trinnov AL16, QNAP TVS-471 NAS, Oppo 203, Siltech, Crystal Cable, Synergistic Research
Thanks to Rafal123 post above, I did not have to go thru a lot of troubleshooting steps he had gone thru.

I recently acquired a short speaker cable (4' Audience 24 SX) which required me to move my companion unit about 12' from the master unit. I ordered a 15' Blue Jeans cable with the same specs as my 3' BJ cable. The sound was wonderful with new speaker cables except I could not play 24/192 files from Oppo->Mutec->250pro(AES). This combination worked well with 3' cable.
Then I came across Rafal123's post and we exchanged PMs. Unfortunately , I could not get RCA->XLR (75->100 ohm)impedance transformer, so I ordered BNC->XLR transformer like below. They also have similar transformer from Canare.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8...tml?sts=pi

After inserting the transformer, I can play 24/192 files without any problems. The sound is wonderful but I also felt that the companion/Right Speaker could have gained couple of DBs to be at par with Left speaker . I need to test this with SPL meter though.

I think AudioPrana cables already have a passive transformer like this built in.

Even if you are using shorter link cables, I would certainly encourage you to try a similar transformer if you are using RCA->XLR link cable.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(26-Jun-2018, 19:01)sam1000 Wrote: Thanks to Rafal123 post above, I did not have to go thru a lot of troubleshooting steps he had gone thru.

I recently acquired a short speaker cable (4' Audience 24 SX) which required me to move my companion unit about 12'  from the master unit. I ordered a 15' Blue Jeans cable with the same specs as my 3' BJ cable. The sound was wonderful with new speaker cables except I could not play 24/192 files from Oppo->Mutec->250pro(AES). This combination worked well with 3' cable.
Then I came across Rafal123's post and we exchanged PMs.  Unfortunately , I could not get RCA->XLR  (75->100 ohm)impedance transformer, so I ordered BNC->XLR transformer like below. They also have similar transformer from Canare.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8...tml?sts=pi

After inserting the transformer, I can play 24/192 files without any problems. The sound is wonderful but I also felt that the companion/Right Speaker  could have gained couple of DBs to be at par with Left speaker . I need to test this with SPL meter though.

I think AudioPrana cables already have a passive transformer like this built in.

Even if you are using shorter link cables, I would certainly encourage you to try a similar transformer if you are using RCA->XLR link cable.

I bought a 110 Ohm cable from Cabledyne, who make a dedicated Devialet cable. Works like a dream, and saves having to use a transformer. http://www.cabledyne.com/devialet.html
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(27-Jun-2018, 00:05)Axel Wrote: I bought a 110 Ohm cable from Cabledyne, who make a dedicated Devialet cable. Works like a dream, and saves having to use a transformer. http://www.cabledyne.com/devialet.html

Thanks Axel. How long is your Cabledyne cable. As I said, Blue Jeans Belden cable which is also 110 ohm worked fine with shorter lengths.  If longer length Cabledyne works, then I might think about buying it since it's got very good feedback here.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1