Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"PLC Compatible"
Is anyone able to shed any light on the Expert Pro's "PLC Compatibility"? This feature is mentioned under "Electrical Power Supply" in the specs for the 220 Pro.

I assumed this meant that power line ethernet capabilities were built into the Expert Pro. An email to Devialet produced a response that an external power line ethernet adapter could be used.  Am I missing something here?

Can any Expert Pro owners here enlighten us as to whether or not a network signal can be passed to the unit through the power cable?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

(My apologies for the over-sized screenshots!)

As far as I know it means that the power module in the Pro models can in future support a power-line network connection which I'd assumed was going to be used in conjunction with the forthcoming streamer board.

I expect it can't be used currently, without the streamer board, and even when the streamer board is released it might only work with other Devialet kit (e.g. Dialog, Phantom). If anyone knows otherwise I'm sure they'll pipe up.

PS - just saw it's your first post - hello, and welcome to the forum!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I'd have to say that the spec is vague at best and Oceane's response is no better. But the potential use with the new streamer board - whatever it may be - seems like a logical premise. It might be interesting to press Oceane on a specific example of how it can be used.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(21-Jan-2017, 23:27)thumb5 Wrote: As far as I know it means that the power module in the Pro models can in future support a power-line network connection which I'd assumed was going to be used in conjunction with the forthcoming streamer board.

I expect it can't be used currently, without the streamer board, and even when the streamer board is released it might only work with other Devialet kit (e.g. Dialog, Phantom).  If anyone knows otherwise I'm sure they'll pipe up.

PS - just saw it's your first post - hello, and welcome to the forum!

Thank you, thumb5! It's good to be here. Smile
After a couple months of perusing this forum, a 220 Pro is headed my way, and it only seems natural to become a member here.

Some interesting ideas you've raised. Let's hope that this feature is not locked down to Devialet product exclusively, and that the streamer board arrives by Q2 and is everything we're all hoping it will be!
(22-Jan-2017, 03:42)mdconnelly Wrote: I'd have to say that the spec is vague at best and Oceane's response is no better.   But the potential use with the new streamer board - whatever it may be - seems like a logical premise.  It might be interesting to press Oceane on a specific example of how it can be used.

Océane has been pressed, mdconnelly. Wink
Will keep you posted...
This was discussed at the 1000 Pro launch event back in July 2016. Devialet's Mathieu Pernod explained that the PEM used in the D-Premier, Expert and Od'A will filter out PLC signals.  The Pro is designed to work with PLC together with Phantoms.  So, mains goes in to the Devialet un-filtered, PLC can then go to the new streamer board, the mains is then filtered further inside the Devialet to power the amp/DAC itself.  Apparently the mains filtration in the Pro is superior to that used in the Expert.

So as things stand, the Pro has a PEM that is compatible with PLC, but the PLC capability itself will be part of the new streamer board.

None of this changes the possibility of using PLC devices to provide AIR / Ethernet to any Expert model, but I have no experience of this myself.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-Jan-2017, 11:06)Confused Wrote: This was discussed at the 1000 Pro launch event back in July 2016.  Devialet's Mathieu Pernod explained that the PEM used in the D-Premier, Expert and Od'A will filter out PLC signals.  The Pro is designed to work with PLC together with Phantoms.  So, mains goes in to the Devialet un-filtered, PLC can then go to the new streamer board, the mains is then filtered further inside the Devialet to power the amp/DAC itself.  Apparently the mains filtration in the Pro is superior to that used in the Expert.  

So as things stand, the Pro has a PEM that is compatible with PLC, but the PLC capability itself will be part of the new streamer board.  

None of this changes the possibility of using PLC devices to provide AIR / Ethernet to any Expert model, but I have no experience of this myself.

Thank you for your insight, Confused. I suppose time will tell. One can only devote so much mental capacity to predicting the future before realizing it is a futile activity... (Apple fanboys may disagree!)
In any case, here is my latest reply from Océane: