Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reduced-To-Max-Mod
I have switched from Wifi to Ethernet. With the old Air implemenation Wifi was better sounding for me than Ethernet, but AES/EBU via Mutec was clearly better. Now with the pro models Air 3.02 is again better sounding. I started with Wifi (as that was the better option before) but switched to Ethernet after I noticed that this is better sounding than Wifi now. I could even optimize the Ethernet SQ by using a direct connection between PC and Devialet.
I agree that it would make sense to remove the Wifi board, but if it deactivates Ethernet as well it is not possible. The question now is what sounds better: Wifi board removed and using Mutec via AES or Wifi board included and using Ethernet...
(23-Jan-2017, 16:12)Vivialet Wrote: I have switched from Wifi to Ethernet. With the old Air implemenation Wifi was better sounding for me than Ethernet, but AES/EBU via Mutec was clearly better. Now with the pro models Air 3.02 is again better sounding. I started with Wifi (as that was the better option before) but switched to Ethernet after I noticed that this is better sounding than Wifi now. I could even optimize the Ethernet SQ by using a direct connection between PC and Devialet.
I agree that it would make sense to remove the Wifi board, but if it deactivates Ethernet as well it is not possible. The question now is what sounds better: Wifi board removed and using Mutec via AES or Wifi board included and using Ethernet...

AIR 3.0.2 sounds better than Mutec?  That's an interesting statement!  In some ways this does not surprise me, I have always thought AIR is perhaps better than it's given credit for.  (Although do prefer my Mutec / mR combo). Can I ask what you have been using to feed the Mutec for this comparison?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I'm using a silent mini PC with Windows 10, Fidelizer, jplay, ProcessLasso. Player is foobar if I want to use my iPad as remote, for best SQ I'm using a combo of Bug Head player and ASIO4all which is far superior to foobar. From here it goes via TOSlink cable (QED Reference, better than USB) to the MC-3 USB and then via Oyaide AR-910 AES cable to the Devialet. Much better than AIR 2.x and 3.0, but AIR 3.01/02 has changed this.It works without any problems, it simplifies the setup (the Mutec is now playing in my headphone system) and SQ is better, at least in my setup and ears. 2 friends have also moved from USb to AIR, one of them was also using a Mutec.
Quick update.

I love the sound of this 'mini-mod'. Stage/3D-Mapping fits together more and more...very, very natural...a pleasure to dive into the music...TTP (time-tunnel-performance) sitting next to Ella Fitzgerald & Joe Pass.

Odd thing is, I'm not even near the optimum concerning my source...but where does all this end?
@Antoine: Any visions on that?

And the guys within Devialet don't have a clue of all this? They R&D by only measuring  Dodgy  Cool (no, not cool...rather blind) ? Well, what the hack do they measure?

This 'mini-mod' really gives me a laugh on the whole scenario 'You have to update 'til xmas...get the fabulous streamerboard for freee..anytime next year'. Really?
Salesman stories...if you step aside and think of it, it's like walking over a turkish basar.

In another Streamerboard Post Antoine said: 'I've said it before and still feel it's true; Devialet's 'raison d'être' is ADH, everything else they do is mediocre or outdated at best.'
+1 for this statement.

If Devialet service/touch would be anything near Roon is presenting I would kindly ask Devialet if we could have a firmware update to be able to unplug the WiFi-Board and still be able to use the Ethernet input. I can only assume that it has something to do with AIR that Ethernet is not usable while WiFi isn't present on the mainboard.

Maybe someone in the forum is in good contact with Devialet and can ask if this hack is technically possible and if they would do a firmware update. I assume they wouldn't answer me if I'd ask  Rolleyes .

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
is it clear in the meantime that the Wifi board is the reason for SQ reduction ? Or is it the Phono board ? Wifi is more reasonable I think, but you never know...
(24-Jan-2017, 11:21)yabaVR Wrote: Maybe someone in the forum is in good contact with Devialet and can ask if this hack is technically possible and if they would do a firmware update.

I do not think any of us has this kind of relationship with Devialet. Not even those who bought their amps in 2011. But I may be wrong. It is absolutely an interesting subject!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(24-Jan-2017, 13:11)Vivialet Wrote: is it clear in the meantime that the Wifi board is the reason for SQ reduction ? Or is it the Phono board ? Wifi is more reasonable I think, but you never know...

Try it yourself. It's really simple. Just make sure to put your Dxxx onto a clean and smooth surface or use the original plastic foil to not scratch the chrome. The Phono-Board is beneath the Duett-Board.

In case of no SQ improvement with Ex-Phono you're half way to your Ex-Wifi/Mutec-Comparison Wink

gui
berlin
This morning it came to my mind that chances for PRO owners are good that Ethernet might work on a DxxxPRO when the WiFi-Board is unplugged. As Vivialet states that Eth now sounds better than Wifi (and it was the opposite with the Experts) it is possible they changed/separated the signal paths of these two inputs on v6-mainboards of the PRO's . Maybe it was a cleanup in design for the upcoming streamerboard,
So, anyone wants to try this on a PRO?

gui
berlin
(23-Jan-2017, 16:12)Vivialet Wrote: ...The question now is what sounds better: Wifi board removed and using Mutec via AES or Wifi board included and using Ethernet...

I think it's really worth a try, because sound is getting better every day since the boards are out. I've no idea what drives this process. It can not be a real Burn In but seems to be a kind of balancing/compensation.
I can think of a similar effect back in the past with the old CRT-TVs if standing next to a big loudspeaker/magnet. The magnet would induce it's field to the tube/screen of the TV and some patterns stayed on the screen even if the speaker-magnet later was placed far away. The patterns on the TV-Screen stayed for several days/weeks. Maybe this kind of effect is also present here, an induced field that changed 'something' in the nearby components  Huh ...I don't know...I didn't change anything else.

3D-Mapping/Realism got spooky good today. Dynamics are impressive...and I thought they were so good before...it's a big step towards the 'real thing'.

For the anxious' : You only need a TORX 'TX10' driver for the bottom plate (8screws) and a INBUS '2' for the screws of the boards inside...and 10min time if you are slow  Wink  Lift the bottom plate slowly but constantly because the thermal foam is sticking to it. If the digital board comes off you can detach it from the bottom plate (it might stick to the thermal foam) and place it back onto the motherboard...easy...really. There is nothing you can break if you don't use brutal power.

gui
berlin
Hmmm, it's been rather quiet for the last week on this mod. No others tried it out yet?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2