Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
250 Pro vs. 250 Upgrade Review
K
(05-Dec-2017, 04:47)rbsound Wrote: Borrowed a Sutherland Insight phono stage between the 2M Black and the 250 Pro - what a difference; like someone removed a blanket that was draped over the speakers.

Figuring out my next move. I think I may try to upgrade the 2M Black to a DV XX2-Mk2 MC. My thinking is that this should significantly upgrade my sound from what I've heard, and perhaps, the Devialet phono stage will work well in MC mode despite the problems I'm having with the MM mode. If I still need a phono stage to get the most out of my turntable so be it, but for the about the same money it would take to get the 2M sounding good via an external phono stage, I could upgrade the cartridge.

Thoughts?
I see that the output from the Dynavector MC is only 0.28mV. Others here have had trouble with outputs lower than 0.5mV. You might need to use a step up transformer.
Here’s another thread about the Dynavector:https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1516
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I use the xx2-mk2, the hiss is more an annoyance than a real problem, it sounds great when playing a record. That said I will consider a higher output cartridge next time.

Really disappointing that the loading isn't right for moving magnet, a weird mistake for them to make.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(05-Dec-2017, 10:01)Soniclife Wrote: ...
Really disappointing that the loading isn't right for moving magnet, a weird mistake for them to make.

Has that rumour been confirmed? I'm still a little sceptical that they would not have done the right thing, especially given that one of the original Devialet designers is reportedly an LP enthusiast.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(05-Dec-2017, 07:40)Axel Wrote: K
(05-Dec-2017, 04:47)rbsound Wrote: Borrowed a Sutherland Insight phono stage between the 2M Black and the 250 Pro - what a difference; like someone removed a blanket that was draped over the speakers.

Figuring out my next move. I think I may try to upgrade the 2M Black to a DV XX2-Mk2 MC. My thinking is that this should significantly upgrade my sound from what I've heard, and perhaps, the Devialet phono stage will work well in MC mode despite the problems I'm having with the MM mode. If I still need a phono stage to get the most out of my turntable so be it, but for the about the same money it would take to get the 2M sounding good via an external phono stage, I could upgrade the cartridge.

Thoughts?
I see that the output from the Dynavector MC is only 0.28mV. Others here have had trouble with outputs lower than 0.5mV. You might need to use a step up transformer.
Here’s another thread about the Dynavector:https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1516

FWIW I find using a Step up transformer between my MC cartridge and the d440 pro using the default MM settings sounds much nicer than direct connect to the Devialet

From that observation the MM input of the devialet can sound quite nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

Personally I believe the best phono input was the D-Premier.
I believe each update has changed the board layout and maybe the circuit and component choice.
With my D-Premier I got super sound from a low output Ortofon Jubilee directly into the MC input. When I updated I had less noise using the MM input and a SUT. I haven't tried the MC input recently but my O d'A just got back from updating so I may try again, though I can't get onto the web site to check firmware and configuration so don't know if the LP input still works on the updated boards (it didn't when I asked last week)
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(05-Dec-2017, 11:16)thumb5 Wrote: Has that rumour been confirmed?  I'm still a little sceptical that they would not have done the right thing, especially given that one of the original Devialet designers is reportedly an LP enthusiast.

I'd say that when rbsound says "Sutherland Insight phono stage between the 2M Black and the 250 Pro - what a difference; like someone removed a blanket that was draped over the speakers" it is good enough proof that MM loading in the Devialet phono stage is not correct. According to f1eng, Mathieu (I assume ) Pernod designed the phono stage so he'll be the one to ask for details about this.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks all. FWIW, I've asked Devialet customer support to take a few measurements of my 250 Pro's phono stage when it goes in to get the Core Infinity board (going to wait until January to do this so I have my unit for the holidays). They haven't said no yet but I'm not hopeful. I would think that this would be an easy way for them to get some data on a particular unit that appears to be not performing to spec.

Still trying to figure out what a very good to excellent cartridge would be that would work well going directly into Devialet's phono stage (no SUT's, etc.). For the reasons here, MM options don't work (I have a pretty good MM cartridge right now) and low output MC's appear to present problems. Any ideas, preferably in the Ortofon (Cadenza Bronze?), Dynavector (XX2-Mk2?), or Soundsmith camp as those are the brands my dealer carries and so, will give me the best chance for a reasonable trade-in?

In short, I rather (if possible) put my $ to a better quality cartridge that is well matched to the Devialet phono stage than get an external phono stage or SUT.
Devialet 250 Pro, Bryston BDP-2, Acoustic Signature WOW XL with TA1000 Tonearm and Ortofon 2M cartridge, OPPO BDP-83SE, Stenheim Alumine Two, REL G2
(05-Dec-2017, 14:32)ogs Wrote:
(05-Dec-2017, 11:16)thumb5 Wrote: Has that rumour been confirmed?  I'm still a little sceptical that they would not have done the right thing, especially given that one of the original Devialet designers is reportedly an LP enthusiast.

I'd say that when rbsound says "Sutherland Insight phono stage between the 2M Black and the 250 Pro - what a difference; like someone removed a blanket that was draped over the speakers" it is good enough proof that MM loading in the Devialet phono stage is not correct. According to f1eng, Mathieu (I assume ) Pernod designed the phono stage so he'll be the one to ask for details about this.

Well, I'd agree it sounds like it's made a difference, for the better to rbsound, but (to be a little pedantic) that doesn't necessarily mean that the resistive loading of the Devialet phono stage was the problem.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Does your dealer dem cartridges?

The forums collective wisdom is that quiet starts at 0.5mv, or higher.

I would rather use a cartridge I like that hisses a bit than one that's only ok but quiet. I've not seen anyone question the accuracy of the MC input, only it's silence.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
Soniclife, not sure, but before I get into demo's or trade, I want to narrow down what's makes sense from a sound profile, budget, and Devialet match (or potential match) standpoint.

The Ortofon Cadenza Bronze seems like a candidate and may be better suited to the Devialet than the DV XX2-Mk2.

thumb5, you're correct that my observations don't necessarily mean there is a resistive loading problem with the Devialet MM phono stage. BUT, this combined with the Stereophile measured results, in my view, strongly suggest that there is a problem with the Devialet phono stage. I hope Devialet takes me up in performing these empirical measures while they have my unit - that would confirm a problem, if there is one.
Devialet 250 Pro, Bryston BDP-2, Acoustic Signature WOW XL with TA1000 Tonearm and Ortofon 2M cartridge, OPPO BDP-83SE, Stenheim Alumine Two, REL G2