Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialog Question
I have a pair of Phantom Gold speakers.

I can buy a used Dialog for a very low price but it is not the current Dialog with Airplay functionality.

Since I don't stream music from my I-Phone (I don't use or like I-Tunes), are all other things the same between the 1st gen. Dialog and the current one?

If I want to use the Apple TV as a music streamer for instance, will I need Airplay for that?

Thanks,
Russ
You can use a 1st gen Dialog with the Phantom Golds. Apple TV 2nd and 3rd gen have an optical output that you can connect to either Dialog or Phantoms for streaming. Only ATV4 has unfortunately no optical output anymore, but Connects to Phantom Golds or Dialog 2 through Airplay. All these options allow you to stream 16bit up to 48kHz, but no hires. For hires streaming use Spark or other streamers as e.g. a Raspberry Pi with optical card.
So I am trying to understand how I will set up the Phantoms when I unbox them next week.
I need access to all my high res. files up to 192Khz
If I want to avoid Apple TV entirely can I just set up Spark on my Ipad and control the units wirelessly?

Will the Spark APP just automatically find the music on my server?
Will I still have access to streaming services like Deezer, TIDAL and Qobuz?

And all will be O.K. using a 1st Gen. Dialog?
To be able to play hires it is best you install Spark on a PC or Mac. Your hires files need to be acessible by this PC or Mac. In Spark you can add these local folders and then access them through any Spark app you have installed on your mobile or stationary devices. Spark runs on Win, MacOS, IOS, and Android. You will see your playqueue, can edit it, change volume, play, pause, stop etc. on any of the devices. All devices need to be on the same network and most importantly Spark that runs as server needs to run. In Spark you will be able to select your local files and streaming services, and radio stations. By adding them to the playqueue you compose your playlist.
At the beginning the Phantom Golds were sold with Dialog Gen1. So no problem they will work together.
Some of the early Dialog's had overheating problems. Given how much a pair of Golds cost, I can't see why you wouldn't buy new, it seems a false economy.
Golds already have airplay built in so the old dialog works fine.

As to why not buy new, no harm in picking a used unit if it works just fine. Mine has been going strong for well over a year....Smile