Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power delivery to Phantom Golds
My pair of Phantom Golds are here in New York where we are on 120V current.

The Golds are rated at 4500W each.  I assume that this is "peak power".

These will go in a new house where I can choose the power I deliver from the mains.

In order to recognize their full potential, do I need to give them 240V or will it be the same power and delivery with 120V and maybe I just need to use a 25 amp breaker to handle the peaks?

Thanks!
Russ
All is fine for you. Indeed 4500W are peak power. Consumption is newer higher that 300-400W when listening at full volume. So any normal house installation can run 6-8 Phantoms, no problem. Take care not to use power surge filters on your power plugs as this will block the Devialet PLC to work properly. Phantoms and Dialog work most reliable and without other Network installations using PLC.
Sometimes, I have FOUR Phantom on one single regular household outlet and they work fine.
Well I assumed that they will work. What I am asking is this:
If I want to use them at their full potential would I have a better result by feeding them 240V?
Do I need a bigger breaker for them than the usual 15 Amp?
Good question. I'm curious what others may think.
Since they are using a switching PSU, 110V or 220V does not matter at all and as others have already said. What counts for the AC power is the RMS power which will be far below the peak 4500W.

So yes on 110 you will need twice the current than you would on 220, but we are in ranges that are completly normal for a regular plug into which you would plug any regular appliance. I'm talking regular, not the high power ones like a dishwasher. So you will be fine.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
So no point in upgrading the breaker either then?
(29-Jan-2017, 16:49)sashua Wrote: So no point in upgrading the breaker either then?

I highly doubt it would be needed.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France