Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
dCS Network Bridge
(21-Nov-2017, 00:12)nkbg Wrote: I had a Bridge for two weeks at home. Listening was done using Roon Server on a MacBook and network connection to Devialet/Bridge was though a pair of FMCs + Uptone JS-2 + Wireworld Platinum Starlight Cat8 cable to Devialet. AES cable to Devialet 400 was a Shunyata Anaconda Zitron.

To my years, in my room, Roon + AIR sounded better.

That is good information, appreciate if you find out more after more listens.

So effectively you are saying the dCS is not adding anything sonic benefits compared to Roon server direct to the Devialet?
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

Yeah, in my system it wasn’t worth the expense.
• Devialet 400 + Magico Q1
Is it possible to go direct to D400 using Ethernet from a Sonic Transporter i5 or the upcoming Roon Nucleus ? Controls would be done on an iPad thru Roon remote.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(23-Nov-2017, 21:08)audio_engr Wrote: Is it possible to go direct to D400 using Ethernet from a Sonic Transporter i5 or the upcoming Roon Nucleus ? Controls would be done on an iPad thru Roon remote.

yes, using Air Ethernet but via a switch unless the Nucleus has more than one ethernet port.  I use the Rock so a switch is required...you can built a ROON ROCK for small money
I have a DCS network bridge at home now on loan over the weekend. After some struggling I got TIDAL to work (don’t worry, it’s me and not the machine that is slow...) and I was immediately impressed with the sound quality. OK, I had previously been using a SONY VAIO laptop (an expensive one but still not a dedicated audio computer) and I have only tried streamers from Auralic (both the Mini and the Aries, didn't like either), but still - the DNB is simply very, very good! The separation of individual sounds is incredible (there is a clearly noticeable start-stop to each sound, especially bass sounds, an airy but relaxed sound character) and I even like the user interface.

I haven’t gotten around to install Roon yet but will surely do that should I end up buying the DNB.

After a home audition with a D 220 I made the decision not to upgrade my D 400 to Pro (numerous reasons, the hefty cost being one, too small differences in sound another). Instead I decided to start upstream and get a good power cleaner/manager (I later got a Torus RM 16) and a good streamer to go with it. Hearing the difference that the RM 16 and now the DNB makes in my system has made me even more sure this was the right decision. It has also made me realize that the “old” Expert product range has a great deal of hidden potential, you just need to give it optimal conditions to experience it.
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
Hi MightyMart,
Can you please confirm, you are hearing big difference in sq ( big can mean nicer) versus your sony computer using AIR/roon via eth?
This is important cause others in the group reported different opinions, so we should know if the dcs nb is system dependant or just a damm good network streamer.
Also,you said you were using tidal only, so i suppose you were just streaming direct from the nb to the devialet since it incorporate tidal; the other important thing is to try ROON/tidal but then you will need roon core running in the Sony computer.
So further details on sq via roon / tidal will be much appreciated.
Thk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(23-Nov-2017, 22:51)MightyMart Wrote: I have a DCS network bridge at home now on loan over the weekend. After some struggling I got TIDAL to work (don’t worry, it’s me and not the machine that is slow...) and I was immediately impressed with the sound quality. OK, I had previously been using a SONY VAIO laptop (an expensive one but still not a dedicated audio computer) and I have only tried streamers from Auralic (both the Mini and the Aries, didn't like either), but still - the DNB is simply very, very good! The separation of individual sounds is incredible (there is a clearly noticeable start-stop to each sound, especially bass sounds, an airy but relaxed sound character) and I even like the user interface.

I haven’t gotten around to install Roon yet but will surely do that should I end up buying the DNB.

After a home audition with a D 220 I made the decision not to upgrade my D 400 to Pro (numerous reasons, the hefty cost being one, too small differences in sound another). Instead I decided to start upstream and get a good power cleaner/manager (I later got a Torus RM 16) and a good streamer to go with it. Hearing the difference that the RM 16 and now the DNB makes in my system has made me even more sure this was the right decision. It has also made me realize that the “old” Expert product range has a great deal of hidden potential, you just need to give it optimal conditions to experience it.

+ 1 ...................   Smile

I am exactly of the same opinion as you esp. towards upgrading my D400 to Pro. The cost for upgrading would at the minimum cost $ 5000 (if not more now) and I would rather spend my money more wisely. 

I had always had my eye on the DNB. I would have bought it several months back but waited for more digital developments to break thru and observe how they unfold. DNB today is Roon ready, RAAT compatible and probably can do MQA too. The biggest plus-point that attracted me to the DNB is that it does AES/EBU XLR well .. thus the feed to D400 is via this input. And the big bonus of adding a dedicated Master Clock (Mutec REF 10) that will scale-up performance by several notches (of course at a $ 4000 expense !!). 

Keeping DNB in mind, I want to ditch my [Macbook Air + External hard drive] system that I currently use directly to my D400 via Ethernet to a better & robust system and this is where I am looking at :

1. Sonic Transporter i5 with internal 2TB SSD and Linear power supply       OR  
2. Roon Nucleus + with internal 2TB SSD and Linear power supply
Roon remote would be via iPad 

Question : Between sT i5 and Roon Nucleus +, what would folks here vote for ??
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(23-Nov-2017, 21:30)Wdw Wrote:
(23-Nov-2017, 21:08)audio_engr Wrote: Is it possible to go direct to D400 using Ethernet from a Sonic Transporter i5 or the upcoming Roon Nucleus ? Controls would be done on an iPad thru Roon remote.

yes, using Air Ethernet but via a switch unless the Nucleus has more than one ethernet port.  I use the Rock so a switch is required...you can built a ROON ROCK for small money

Are you saying using Devialet AIR or Roon Air ?

Unfortunately, the Roon Nucleus has only 1 Ethernet RJ45. Please see sketch below. Which of (A) or (B) do you suggest ?

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: Sketch.jpg]
i" />
Sorry for my late reply (on paternity leave with my 7 month old son who is keeping me busy and/or tired all day) but here it is:

I’ve been using ROON now for about a week and it’s a real treat! Just the user interface itself is almost enough to justify the extra cost. It has also proven (knock on wood...) to be very stable and reliable.

I have the dCS network bridge hooked up with Ethernet wire to my ASUS-router, the ROON core is on a Sony VAIO laptop (older but one of their top notch models) that communicates wirelessly with the router. Control is done from the ROON app installed on an iPad Mini and I play music mainly from TIDAL but also from a hard drive. The network bridge is plugged into the Devialet with a Wireworld Gold Starlight 7 AES/EBU digital cable and it all works and SOUNDS beautifully!

So far the network bridge, together with the TORUS and the speaker feet from Harmonix, have for me been the best investments apart from the amps and speakers themselves. No power, signal or speaker cable have come even remotely close in comparison.

The dCS Network Bridge is so good I have already plans for (eventually) swapping the bridge and my Marantz for a dCS Rossini Player. The Rossini have both a streamer with ROON support and a CD-transport integrated. That would be the perfect match with a Devialet since it only has one AES/EBU input. This input is far superior to SPDIF/Coax and should always be prioritized for your digital sources.

I have also plans for trying out an external clock for both the Marantz and the bridge. Any recommendations...? :-)
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
audio_engr
(23-Nov-2017, 21:30)Wdw Wrote:

Are you saying using Devialet AIR or Roon Air ?

Unfortunately, the Roon Nucleus has only 1 Ethernet RJ45. Please see sketch below. Which of (A) or (B) do you suggest ?

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: Sketch.jpg]

With the use of an USB to Ethernet adapter you can run:  

(AmazonBasics  USB 3.0 too 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter for example)

switch > adapter mounted on NUC/Nucleus USB >  NWB > ethernet out to Devialet.  

The NWB is not "visible" for stuff like airplay, etc as it is isolated from the network but is visible to ROON and A+