Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upsampling in Roon 1.3
Playing regular DSD files is also quite a bit quieter on the Devialet so it really isn't a problem.

It's Devialet's implementation, they don't apply 6db of recovery gain like software dsd to pcm decoders. As Brian indicates -6db less gain than pcm is in the dsd spec and he also has -3db of headroom to prevent clipping.

So roon DSD upsamling is 3db quieter than regular dsd files because of conversion headroom that's it.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Sorry for such a simple question, but Linear Phase or Minimum Phase.

FYI, I'm currently trying Power x 2 up-sampling in the custom Mode as per below (again, unsure if this is the best way to go):

1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(08-Feb-2017, 17:11)Celts88 Wrote: Sorry for such a simple question, but Linear Phase or Minimum Phase.

FYI, I'm currently trying Power x 2 up-sampling in the custom Mode as per below (again, unsure if this is the best way to go):

It's a personal preference thing.  You have to just try them and see which you like more.  There is no correct answer.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I would very much like to know (from those that have tried it) if Roon's sample rate up-conversion sounds better (or just different) than letting the Devialet handle it.

I know, I know... just try it.  I've been having a bit of an issue with Roon 1.3 so haven't had a chance to tackle this (yet).
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(08-Feb-2017, 22:29)7mdconnelly Wrote: I would very much like to know (from those that have tried it) if Roon's sample rate up-conversion sounds better (or just different) than letting the Devialet handle it.

I know, I know... just try it.  I've been having a bit of an issue with Roon 1.3 so haven't had a chance to tackle this (yet).

I would say different more than better . . Perhaps smoother, more relaxed - not quite as crisp/coherent as 16/44.1. But some might say 44.1 is more "digital" in sound and prefer the smoother sound of upsampling. The differences are quite subtle with exception of dsd which really seems less detailed to me.

Just my 2c
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
Have been having another go at max PCM (x2). Liking it so far and not too taxing on the CPU.
Did make another change to the system today too to be fair, so it may be that - I've never really noticed upsampling gains previously when I tried.

It's nice having DSP to play with for free though!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I have been trying the new upsampling features in Roon. In my set-up I am running a Windows 10 PC, Ethernet to a microRendu, USB to a Mutec MC3+USB. If I set the mR's RoonReady settings to DoP, then I can send DSD64 to the Mutec, this sends PCM 176.4 to the Devialet, everything appears to be as it should be.

If I set the mR's RoonReady settings to native DSD, I get no sound and loose the pull down menu options in Roon to upsample to DSD. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a simple case that the Mutec will only accept DoP? I have now tried almost everything I can think of, and it simply does not work. Can it be done?

A second question, when running successfully using DoP, I cannot find anyway to set Roon above DSD64, there is no option in the menus for DSD128 for example. Am I missing something?

I have also posted this on the Roon forum and CA. I'm not sure if the issue is with Roon, the mR or Mutec. That is if there is an issue at all! Maybe DSD64 DoP is the limit of what is possible with this set-up?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hey Confused. I replied over at Roon for the part I (think I) know.

The Devialet is DSD64 limited. Whether you can get higher into the Mutec and have it down sample I've no idea.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(11-Feb-2017, 12:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Hey Confused. I replied over at Roon for the part I (think I) know.

The Devialet is DSD64 limited. Whether you can get higher into the Mutec and have it down sample I've no idea.

The mR sees the Mutec, not the Devialet.  The Mutec sends the Devialet PCM at 176.4kHz, so the Devialet's DSD64 limit should be irrelevant.  The Mutec will accept DSD256 or DoP128.  So I remain puzzled!

EDIT: A bit of tinkering and a reboot, and I can indeed run DoP128. So, everything on the DoP side appears correct. However, if I set the mR to accept native DSD, nothing works.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(11-Feb-2017, 12:35)Confused Wrote:
(11-Feb-2017, 12:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Hey Confused. I replied over at Roon for the part I (think I) know.

The mR sees the Mutec, not the Devialet.  The Mutec sends the Devialet PCM at 176.4kHz, so the Devialet's DSD64 limit should be irrelevant.  The Mutec will accept DSD256 or DoP128.  So I remain puzzled!

So you're converting (or trying to) to DSD 256/128 in Roon for the Mutec, and then it's downsampling back to PCM 176.4 to the Devialet? That's a hell of a conversion process.... are you just testing the theoretical limits?

I guess the mR reports back to Roon what the Mutec can handle.